“Lovely meal, lovely restaurant.”

Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery
Ranked #15 of 2,520 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Went on a busy Saturday night but service still great. A wee bit disappointed with my pasta starter but the steak main made up for this - the most enormous fillet ever with no compromise to tenderness of flavour. Everyone enjoyed their food but, that said, I don't recall any one of us being absolutely ecstatic over any one dish. A bit pricey for starters and we thought that £16 for 4 x coffee and petit fours was a wee bit on the steep side. All round very good though and the staff were excellent.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed October 2, 2011

You must book! We ended up taking the 8:30pm booking in the restauramt on a Friday night but we arrived early and was able to sit down earlier which was great as was starving! Traditional surroundings that to me spelled lots of history. Had the mussel risotto to start followed by the collops of monk fish. My partner had the scallops to start followed by the Scottish beef. The food was excellent! The mains were generous portions, both served with mash...so perhaps the side vegetables could be something other than more potatoes?? We didn't go for dessert, instead my partner was recommended some single malt whiskey to try. The wine list was diverse and very reasonably priced. This place is great for a special occasion, romantic meal or even a great meal with friends and family. I'd go back!

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Went back to the Buttery after many years (even then only as a young Graduate recruit taking an overseas business colleague out on expenses  ) with my wife on our recent wedding anniversary. The reputation hasn’t faltered since and the quality of food and service we received even on a pre-theatre backed it up. Will go again soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I have been going to The Buttery for a number of years now and it has gone through a couple of owners and now is taken over by the ‘Two Fat Ladies’ brand who also own the original restaurant of the same name in Glasgow, nothing to do with the TV programme but is to do with the bingo reference.
The place retains it beautiful Victorian interior and great bar and has the warm comforting feeling that makes you just want to stay forever. The food is mostly fish based but does also have vegetarian and meat options, although I would go with the fish as it is great. The food itself is well thought out and very well cooked with great waiting staff who are efficient and unobtrusive. The restaurant has a private dining room in the main restaurant that seats about 10 and a chefs table in the kitchen that seats I think about 8. The kitchen table is in a glassed off room that you can take your own ipod into and looks great.
There are plenty of good places to eat in Glasgow, but if you are just passing through and want something special go here, the internal original features, the staff and the food make it all very worth while.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

The best rated restaurant in Glasgow was a let down for us this weekend. No problem with the slightly distant location, the building most atmospheric and the service very good. sadly it was the food (which you would have to admit is rather important) which was the disappointment. My wife's Cullen skink was nearly all large lumps of potato in a watery soup, my mussel risotto however was very good. The sea bass was tasty but in a bland tomato sauce and the monkfish whilst well cooked lacked flavour even with cheesy mash and dressings. Our wine was good and the post dinner drinks excellent.
Overall a good but not exceptional evening, perhaps we expected too much based on the previous reviews? £120 for two courses, wine and drinks. don't condemn the place but we were not as impressed as we had hoped.