“Food was nice - but dont try to have a private conversation!”
Review of Ashoka West End

Ashoka West End
Reserve with OpenTable
Ashoka West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,407 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Ask any Glaswegian for directions to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and they're sure to say "D'you know the Ashoka West End?" Immortalised as a famous culinary landmark, it sits on the corner of the longest street and shortest road in the city, and shines like a beacon and acts like a magnet to Glasgow's colossal curry eating fraternity.This is the first ever Ashoka started in 1973
Scotland
“Food was nice - but dont try to have a private conversation!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went to the Ashoka West End last week using a Living Social voucher. I dont know if it was because we were using a voucher but I didnt find the staff to be particularly welcoming or friendly. We were led downstairs and given a table which was right next to the kitchen and so close to the table next to us that I had to turn sideways and squeeze past to get in to my seat (and I'm not fat so that's not the reason!). My friend and I actually felt that we had to whisper so as not to be overheard by the people at the next table.

Anyway - apart from that the deal was for the Chef's Platter which was very nice and a curry each - I had the chicken breast masala and it was very good - my friend had the chicken korma and enjoyed hers too.

To be honest I wouldnt go back because I found the downstairs area of the restaurant to be too cramped and quite claustrophobic - and although I couldnt fault the food I really wouldnt say that the service was anything other than efficient.

• Visited May 2013

“East meets West”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is traditional Indian food at its best. Natural, unpretentious and very tasty. A favorite haunt in Glasgow's West End. Good service good food and good value.
If you find this review helpful please dont forget to recors your views in the interest of other reviewers. Thank you

Visited March 2013
Chile
“Not bad, but!!!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We ate here years ago.....it was excellent then, so we thought to try it again.
I guess we were unfortunate to be seated downstairs in the cellar.....which is what it is.....so the ambience was poor.
The service was very good indeed, but the food was so so.
I had lamb rogan josh, which I usually enjoy.....but the essence of the thing is that the meat is cooked in the sauce, not added afterwards and I may be wrong, but this meat definitely seemed like an 'afterthought'. I have had better chapattis too, to be honest. My wife had chicken masala, which was also OK....with polar rice, which wasn't too good.

Visited May 2013
“Fab food and service!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Popped in here on a whim. Couldn't have been happier. Service was fantastic. Place was busy with a good atmosphere. Food was top notch. Would return in an instant!

Visited April 2013
“Food was good”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Visited the Ashoka on Monday
Been there a few times
The food was good ordered a chicken bhuna and my partner ordered a chicken korma
Service was to slow even although the restaurant was half empty
Will go back