“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashoka - Southside

Ashoka - Southside
Ranked #176 of 2,387 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Curry devotees have been worshipping at the temple of Ashoka since the 80s. This, the chain���s Glasgow South Side branch, was created to appease folk from south of the river who loved the brand but hated the travel. Boasting an interior with a Last Days of the Raj meets style bar look, Ashoka has the kind of atmosphere which appeals more to bhuna babes than the middle aged ���lads��� on a rampage who frequent your average curry house. The interior may be pared down but the menu is packed with Indian favourites as well as house specialities, leaving even decisive diners with a difficult decision to make.
Glasgow
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I have been regulars at the Ashoka South Side for over 20 years, it never fails to disappoint. The staff are very friendly and pleasant, a special mention to Raj who makes us feel welcome, a very child friendly restaurant which makes all the difference, giving it a relaxed and enjoyable experience. Raj is always happy to recommend new dishes on the menu which never fail to disappoint, would highly recommend the rara gosht! Delicious! My husband was also advised about a new edition to the menu, the desi jalfresi which also comes highly recommended. Overall great staff, delicious food and great value! Highly recommend!

“Wow, fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Loved it all...food delicious, light, fresh, delicately spiced, incredibly talented chef. Staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. Decor fresh, music traditional as it should be. Impressively clean throughout.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best in Glasgow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I eat here frequently and have yet to be disappointed. The food and service is consistently first class and i would have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone. Raj is very good at looking after us, even if he wants to steal my car!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“First Class Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Having lived in England for several years I always crave a curry when I come home, however I avoided this restaurant due to previous owners. Having heard that it had changed hands, I decided to give it another go. What a difference. Fact. The service was first class and everyone made us feel very welcome, then came the food. I cannot speak highly enough. I tried the spicy Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi and was extremely impressed. The food was hot, spicy and above all, full of flavour. The sides were also of extremely high quality. I thoroughly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys fine Indian cuisine. Top drawer.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My friend and I have been here a couple of times, booking through 5pm. We found the service and food excellent. On each occasion the staff made vegetarian recommendations, which were delicious, and took time to genuinely enquire about our overall experience of the Ashoka Southside, not just the food. As my friend and I like to chat over our meal we particularly appreciated that we weren't rushed. We will definitely be back, and I will suggest this as a venue for meeting other friends too.

• Visited March 2013