“OK but not great”
Review of La Lanterna

La Lanterna
Ranked #33 of 2,590 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Winner of Best Restaurant and Best Team at the 2015 Italian Awards, La Lanterna has been serving customers Glasgow's finest Italian food experience for over 45 years. Situated opposite Central Station and adjacent to Radisson Blu Hotel, it is the ideal location for a business event or for visitors to the city. On offer are a fine selection of handmade pastas and raviolis with wild boar or seafood. For meat lovers there are a selection of steaks including both veal and beef T-bones. A selection of daily fish specials are always available along with an extensive Italian wine list selected from the finest vineyards in Italy. A warm welcome awaits in a friendly and intimate atmosphere in the heart of Glasgow.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Visited the restaurant having been before. We loved it the first time but this time we were disappointed as the food wasn't up to scratch and service was a bit brusque. It may have just been an off day but the food was a little bland, my chicken was very, very dry to the point it was stringy. The waiter dumped the food on our table and walked off without offering pepper or parmaesan so we ended up having to wait to flag down the waitress and ask her for some.

Took a while to be greeted at the door and again to pay. There were a few large tables in (we were as a large group the first time) so I'm not sure if they are just better at catering to large groups than couples but we felt forgotten which was probably enhanced by the fact we were on a table squashed under an archway which left us pretty much in the dark - a candle wouldn't have gone amiss! Don't think we'd go back here as there are other Italian restaurants nearby that we know are consistently great with a brilliant atmosphere and good service.

1  Thank PoLRweb
Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent as usual. This has become my girlfriend and I's regular place. As usual, the food was second to none. I had the special: lobster and king prawn spaghetti with wifi te wine, cream and prosseco sauce.. It was to die for and I hope they do it again soon. Can't wait to go back next week!

1  Thank Jordo1990
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This restaurant is perfect the fiid is to die for and the staff go above and beyond. Have been a few times and the food is always good and have never had bad service. It is very reasonably priced as well

2  Thank twinkle-toes64
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A business lunch this week followed by dinner with friends in the same restaurant and on the same day some might think a disaster. In the case of La Lanterna nothing could be further from the truth!! The food is always great, the prices are very reasonable and the service is always impeccable.

And the charming waitress remembered I had been in at lunchtime. Wow!

I doubt there is better value in Glasgow!

1  Thank mawa24
Reviewed January 25, 2013

La Laterna holds the prestigious award of best Italian in Glasgow - and there are more than a handful of Italian restaurants in Glasgow!! However, this means that my expectations are very high and the restaurant has to be excellent...and I'm not quite sure it got there.

The atmosphere is really good as you come off the street and down into the restaurant. The staff are attentive, although they get stretched as the restaurant fills and becomes busy. There is wide a varied menu and the food I ordered was very good with the exception of the dessert which didn't match up to the first two courses.

That said, the staff removed the dessert from the bill and all in all, a really good night out at a fairly reasonable price.

2  Thank PaulH601