“Nice food, odd extras”
Review of Charcoals

Charcoals
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcoals is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had your typical business 'blokes' type meal. The food was delivered on time, there was plenty of it and it was great. Good value and friendly service. They brought us a number of free dishes, not entirely sure why, but you never turn food away when it's tastey. The only oddity was vodka jelly shots being delivered with the bill. I'd have settled for a mint or after 8 etc. We left the dodgey shots where they were.

There are newer reviews for Charcoals

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Highly recommend charcoals. Ali a fantastic host, food is excellent and great value for money and friendly staff. Cheers
From Sandra and Tam.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to me by my taxi driver on the way in and without that I'd probably not have come across it although it was only a couple of minutes from Glasgow Central railway station (if you find the right exit). It's in a fairly non-descript building on a fairly non-descript stretch of road and doesn't immediately shout 'destination restaurant'.

Inside it's a space of two halves; the front of the restaurant's almost cafe-like whereas the rear's a bit more plush and probably more suitable for larger groups.

However the food's what you'll be coming for and it's simply sensational. Chicken tikka was to die for, properly marinated and moist. Their chappali kebab was also stunning, a bit like a flatter grilled version of my usual seekh kebab, bursting with flavour. The main courses were as good and certainly a bit different; biryani came with the vegetables very finely chopped and mixed in with the rice rather than in the sauce, almost like a Chinese fried rice dish. Maybe not traditional but totally delicious.

On top of the food there's also first-rate service led by the very personable Ali, whose business card lists his maitre d' of the year awards. This guy is class; friendly and helpful without going over the top and he's backed up by a team of quick and attentive waiters.

You could honestly drop this standard of food and service into more up-market surroundings and charge twice as much and no-one would bat an eyelid, it's that good. I'd suggest if you're anywhere near the centre of Glasgow you just take advantage of the reasonable prices (I paid just over £20 for starter main course and a couple of pints of beer) and make a booking - my first meal was so good I immediately booked for the next night.

My only complaint (if it is one) was that with the size of the meals plus a few other free bits and peices thrown in by Ali I was on the point of exploding I was so full!

I'm usually very defensive about the justified reputation of Birmingham, my nearest city, as the curry capital of the UK but this restauarant is as good as any I've tried there, which is high praise indeed

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We visited on a really busy Saturday night. Great atmosphere. Very attentive staff but not pushy.

Despite the place having a couple of large groups in we, as a couple, were really well cared for.

The food was fresh, piping hot, tasty and really good quality. The portions were large and their own special dishes were different and really great. The whole experience was first class and the bill reasonable. Highly recommended. Its a must return.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have not yet written a review on trip advisor but after a great food experience in Glasgow felt compelled to write one. My husband and I came down from aberdeen to Glasgow for the weekend and after a day of shopping headed into the own centre for some dinner. It was quite late by the time we had been into a few restaurants and could not get a seat. We happened to walk past charcoals and i recognised the name from trip adviser reviews. We went in and although there were no tables, the waiter assured us that he would hold the next available table or us. After a quick drink in the pub across the street we returned and true to his word, our table was ready. The food was really very good. My husband and I agreed that it was one of the best Indian meals we had had. The service was first class and the staff brought us a good few 'extras' while we waited. We left feeling full, satisfied and certain we would be back. The restaurant is quite small and intimate so I would recommend booking.