“Quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever seen”
Review of St. Enoch Hotel

St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #95 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever seen”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I booked an overnight stay at short notice. The room was originally priced at £70 per night, but this had been reduced to £50. As it was based in the city centre and had a reasonable appearance (and score on booking.com), I thought we had secured a bargain.
I couldn`t have been more wrong.
The wallpaper was torn, the carpet stained, toilet didn`t flush, electrical sockets were hanging off the wall-the list is endless.
Worst of all was the constant noise of younger residents laughing, singing, playing music and being generally disruptive. This went on until around 6am.
The only redeeming factor was the check in clerk, who was pleasant and helpful.
To be frank, no site should provide on line booking for this "hotel"-the place should be demolished.

Room Tip: Sleep on a park bench rather than this hovel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnnyt20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights, was surprised that breakfast was included, a small brown paper bag with some cereal, juice and milk. That was a nice surprise. The location is really good just opposite a large shopping mall and close to city centre. There is also a large multi story car park 2min walk up the road that is secure for overnight parking. Rooms weren't great, but I've had worse. Bunk beds were really squeaky and the bathroom was pretty disgusting. There is free tea and coffee with biscuits and the
Staff are very friendly. Good wifi.

Stayed November 2013
Scotland
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Big Mistake! I did not use Trip Advisor on this occasion. Did as title say's, We booked a Standard Twin Room sleeps 2 a few day's before our long week-end away (another review)to save us getting up early for x77 to Glasgow to catch our coach
Well we were allocated room 31 on third floor so carried cases up 3 flights of stairs (no lift) fair enough! On opening the door of room 31 we were greeted with a site I'll never forget 3 x metal double bunk beds (looked like pre war to me)so close together we had to go side ways in & between them ( we are both under 12 stone ),the carpet was well sticky! the radiator was of the wall, the blind was hanging skew wiff & broken from bracket, the toilet was not clean at all and had mould evident in various places, a slim tall wardrobe with doors missing at the end of Bunk Beds hence having to squeeze into room, a small flat unit sat in the corner where I sat down in disbelief, my wife sat on the window ledge as there was nowhere else to sit. I went back to reception firstly to ascertain that we were not SHARING to be assured by the 2 people there we would not be SHARING. I said about the room etc. to be told all rooms have Bunk Beds I did mention the photo of single beds on Late Rooms.com web site for the Saint Enoch whom we booked through. I went back to room 31 to find my wife in a state of despair so we agreed we had to move, so I got onto the Saint Enoch Wifi which I have to say worked very well. Found a room in Travel Lodge Hill St. so booked it (stayed before) Took cases and ourselves down to reception explained again this was not what we had booked regardless of condition of room, Checked out and walked up to Travel Lodge 10mins. away
To be fair the 2 people on reception were very polite and as far as they could very be helpful but alas still no refund
I have contacted Late Rooms Admin Support and waiting a reply from them on this issue

Room Tip: can't think of 1
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikerbrian

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. When we first arrived we were shocked. The room was filthy, so bad that I refused to take my shoes off as the carpet was disgusting. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. There was grafitti on the back of the door that warned us "Do not go to sleep". The bed linen did not smell fresh at all - I slept on top of the covers on top of a towel (which was also a discoloured white). The bathroom was like something from a horror film, the shower head made me feel physically sick and the shower door did not close. We all showered whilst standing on a plastic bag inside the shower as it was so dirty. The wardrobe had sticky stains on the front of it, which we have no idea what these were. The ceiling had holes in it which had been filled with one of the 5p soap bars that they provide you with. My friend found someone else's dirty socks down the side of her bed. The smell of the whole hotel was horrid. We did complain to the front desk and they gave us the key to another room, however when we went to have a look this one was even worse. There was a hole in the wall of that one which had pathetically been tried to cover. There wasn't even a proper lightbulb in the room it was a UV one so we quickly asked to be moved back to our original disgusting room. I have never felt so uncomfortable in a hotel, shabby doesn't really matter but cleanliness is a must!!! We had originally been booked in for two nights but cancelled the second night and would have cancelled the first if everywhere hadn't been fully booked due to the Scotland football being on. I wouldn't wish that place on anyone and would recommend people to find somewhere else. This ruined my weekend as I couldn't sleep for fear of something crawling out from one of the many holes in the ceiling/wall/filthy carpet. This place doesn't even deserve one star and I have no idea why it is still open. DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose any of the rooms, they are all disgusting anfd unclean. Not very spacious either, b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Elisabeth T
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Just because a room will literally hold 6 beds doesn't mean you should put that many in there. The door to the bathroom didn't open fully because the beds were so close together. They were the rickety metal beds as well, so the whole bed shook when someone exited the bathroom. There wasn't really anywhere to put our bags either.
There is wifi in the rooms, but it is so slow it doesn't actually work.
The bed appeared clean, but the bathroom was horrible. The others in my room also thought it was odd that we had all paid different amounts for that night's stay.
I was happy to have a place to sleep having arrived late on a Friday evening in the rain, but wouldn't return if I had any other options.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Having my friend visiting from London and us wanting to party in town and stay central, we thought this looked ok..and it was going to cost us £52 for one night in a twin room which we thought was ok for the location.

On arrival, we got out key and headed upstairs to room no. 7.

When we opened the door, it was lucky the door didn't hit the cheap tubular bunk beds, and the door opened up to touch the rickety, shakey and totally insecure wardrobe in the corner..
The bottom mattress was so thin and uncomfortable I got hardly any sleep which was kinda lucky as when I turned round in the bed, as it was on a slant and I almost fell out around 4 times!!
When you sat on the edge of the bottom bed, the toilet door hit you when opened!!

The telly was too high on the wall to see from the bottom bunk, the walls were all marked n had holes in them, the floor had a slant/dip in it which you went down on the 3 steps it took to walk across the room to the toilet!!

The toilet was basic with a small shower. The actual shower was ok, but the decor and state of the furnishings was pretty disgraceful!

We had a small kettle, 2 cups, wee milk cartons, tea bags and 2 packets of plain biscuits on a table in the corner.

As we left, we found 2 brown paper bags outside the door with a plastic plate, spoon, mini pack of cornflakes, wee carton of milk and a fruit juice for breakfast.

We did go down after checking the room to complain but were told all twin rooms are bunk beds, and that they were fully booked so we couldn't move anyway!!

I would definitely NEVER advise anyone to stay here... The price we paid was ridiculous for a dirty rundown hostel!!!

We booked this as it was a hotel and we didn't fancy bunk beds in the hostel..!!!

It was noisy, stinky, run down, old, dirty and should be avoided at all costs as I now know this is actually used as a halfway house for drug dependant people!!!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Pammieallwoman
uk
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had originally booked to stay for 2 nights at this hotel. However, we had to pay for another hotel for our 2nd night as our experience here was so bad we could not bear another night in this hell-hole. For a start, the hotel room smelled of an awful odour which cannot be described. It was so bad that we had to go out and buy new clothes as our packed clothes smelled badly of this stench. The room was tiny! For it being a twin room, there was a bunk bed with hardly any room to move around. The person on the bottom bunk was unable to view the tv as it was too high up on the wall and too close to the beds. The blinds on the window would only close half way down, making us very uncomfortable. There was a large gap under the door of our room which also made us feel uneasy. The ceiling tiles were broken. The tacky, cheap wardrobe shook badly when we tried opening it. There were exposed pipes in the bathroom, a badly bashed bin, and all the surfaces in the bathroom felt extremely grimy. We had to ask for the bedsheets to be changed as they had other people's hairs on them, and appeared dirty. However, when asked to do this the reception staff were very rude to us and basically accused us of dirtying the sheets!!!! In fact, they stated they would check their CCTV to check how many people we had in our room!!! Finally, there was loud music coming from somewhere which kept us awake until at least midnight. We have stayed in alot of hotel rooms and have never, ever been forced to write a review to warn others of the conditions awaiting them. In fact, this is the first review I have written as I feel this hotel does not deserve to be called a hotel. No hygiene, no hospitality, no cleanliness, no standards....hopefully no more guests.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on this dump
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family