“Absolute Dump”
Review of St. Enoch Hotel

St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #93 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend and I booked in to this so called hotel for one night...I booked it via website which advertised it as superior twin room for £33 saving £87. We paId the man at reception before viewing room although my friend did ask to see room beforehand which we were assured all rooms were cleaned daily, clean linen on bed and fresh clean towels supplied so we took him for his word and paid up front....what he neglected to tell us was the room was damp...the wardrobe propped up to stop it from falling over... urine stain on the mattress...DISGUSTING....needless to say we didn't stay and had the bother of looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay that night...THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN.....We weren't expecting the Ritz for what we paid just a room that habitable...not some filthy dump.....and I will certainly put in a complaint about this place and we were refused a refund...STAY THEIR AT YOUR OWN RISK..IT STINKS.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maire333

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night as a room to stay in following a night out in Glasgow. Booked last minute, we struggled to find a hotel for less than twice the price of this hotel and so took our chances (despite the many poor reviews below).

It was a hotel with a hostel standard. We booked a private twin room, ensuite. Received a room with 6 bunk beds in it but it was private, so the additional beds didn't bother us. Bed was comfy and sheets were clean (but dated). Room was dated and yes, the carpet was stained, the walls marked and the roof tiles incomplete but the room was clean and the sheets/towels and cups provided were all clean and so the decor didn't bother us. The bathroom had also been cleaned but the standard of cleaning wasn't great. The parts of the bathroom which you used had obviously been recently cleaned (ie sink and toilet/shower tray and shower head) but nothing round about that was (ie shower walls/door and mirror were not clean).

Reception was clean and welcoming. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was delivered to the door in a little bag - nothing fancy but exactly what we required (and a bonus in comparison to hostels/hotels of this standard). Flatscreen TV was a surprise and wifi was great.

Location - being familiar with Glasgow I was worried about staying in the Jamaica Street area, which is not the best area of the centre. Access to the hotel was over St Enoch Square and the hotel entrance looks onto the square so it was a safe walk from Buchanan Street to the hotel - even at 4.30am - and it is so central for anyone looking to explore the area. Right next to the subway and Glasgow Central train station. It was also quiet at night.

In relation to the comments on cards being charged - my card was debited the day of booking rather than the day of arrival. This isn't authorised and shouldn't have occurred. However, they debited my card with the correct amount and it was only 24 hours before I stayed so I didn't mention anything as it wasn't a problem.

If you are looking for somewhere nice to spend a bit of time, don't stay here. If you are looking for a safe bed to crash in while exploring the city/following a night out, it's perfect and very cheap. Just expect what you pay for. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I don't look for much when i pay £28 a night in the centre of Glasgow but when the ceiling starts leaking that is the final straw ! Horrible smell, Very stained carpets, Shower that i wouldn't even step inside, Uneven bed, Broken wall sockets, Stained ceiling and walls, Terrible lighting and CEILING OF ROOM LEAKING ! Staff were fine. Unless you don't mind staying in a squat, AVOID THIS !

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Okay, so it is not the Ritz, but then again it is not the steps of the train station either. This is a budget hotel, and like any budget hotel the world over, it has its flaws, but, you do get what you pay for. If you read through the reviews of this place, I guess some people want a heck of a lot more for their money.

Staff were friendly enough, room relatively clean, shower was very disappointing though, water was rather luke warm and trickled. There was some evidence of the hotel being used as some kind of night shelter for the homeless, but I guess they (or at least someone) pays the same as us, so they are entitled to stay just like everyone else.

On the plus side, you are smack bang in the heart of the city, so convenient for everything. If like us you are in the city to explore and discover, you will spend most of your time out and about and only use the hotel to get your head down at night.

Facilities such as wifi was great, tea & coffee facilities for hot drinks with little biscuits were there in abundance, though not exactly sure of the little breakfast bags that you find outside your room in the morning...lol... but they were a very welcome way to start your day.

All in all, we would stay there again if we ever went back to Glasgow, as for the lesson to be learned... It is this...

Don’t be put off by the negative reviews, you will always have mixed reviews irrespective of the class of hotel, and at the end of the day, this is a budget hotel in a city centre location what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are a lot quieter and away from the noise of the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel has a lot of bad write ups, so was very ready for the worst experience ever... PLUS POINTS - It was clean, the bed was comphy, the room was ample for what I needed and it was literally were I was working for the week... BAD POINT - they took cash out my account 3 days before I arrived then denied it (I had my daughters tablet so I could prove it then and there) the manager sorted it immediately. This does prove however they do keep card details which is illegal in any sense, hot water is non existant, I had to boil the kettle to have a wash, the room is tilted this may be due to the subway running under the hotel, although this didn't bother me and there are take away shops underneath the hotel I asked for advise where the best place to have dinner was they told me the indian shop next door (DONT EAT HERE) you will end up ill!!!
I wont be going back...

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jaks_78
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We paid a deposit on a booking website and the rest of the amount was due on arrival. I assumed the booking fee guaranteed the booking. The hotel tried to take the payment out the day before we arrived. (I had no idea this would happen - remainder of payment was due ON ARRIVAL). My credit card information had changed since the initial deposit, so that payment didn't go through. We only found this out after we had arrived and they had given away our room. This was a busy time in Glasgow, NOWHERE else to stay, everywhere booked (we spent all day checking). Had to train to another city. Awful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobynJames
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Don't believe all the terrible reviews about this place - some people are just on here to moan!! On approach my initial thought was "oh no, what have I booked" but inside, yes it's dated, but it's clean, warm and the staff are friendly. My bed was comfy and bathroom was spotless. There is enough tea and coffee to keep the whole of Glasgow thirst free and the fruity biscuits are quite nice too! After the first night sleep, I woke up to find a little breakfast bag with a bowl, spoon, milk, cereal and a small fruit juice - this was a really nice touch and I wasn't expecting it. Overall, if you want a budget stay in Glasgow city centre, don't expect a Premier Inn £78 room for £30. Also bring a set of earplugs if you are not used to city centre noise - I am so it didn't bother me too much.

• Stayed: September 2013