“Moved to substandard Beersbridge Annex at last minute.”

Beersbridge Lodge Guesthouse
Ranked #28 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Moved to substandard Beersbridge Annex at last minute.”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We booked a room at Beersbridge Lodge several weeks before our expected stay, but on the day we were due to arrive we were contacted by them to be told that they didn't have room for us, but they would book us into another similar B&B "just around the corner". We were due that night to go to the Exhibition Centre and had booked the room at Beersbridge Lodge as it was close enough to walk (an 18 minute walk according to Google maps). So when they told us we were being moved, we told them we were going to the SECC and asked how far the new place was away. We were told it was "about the same distance" and that we should come to the Lodge and they would arrange for a taxi to take us to the new B&B.

However, to our great disappointment, the new B&B was Beersbridge Annex, which is nowhere near the SECC! When we arrived we were very disappointed with the accommodation, but had no other choice but to stay as we were about to go and see our show, we don't know Glasgow, we had our luggage with us and nowhere else to stay. We had to catch a taxi there, as the walk was going to take nearly an hour, we were already late as we'd had to change hotels and we missed the start of the show as we had been led to believe the new accommodation was close, and we had had to arrange a taxi.

When we arrived back (by taxi) we got to fully appreciate the state of the Beersbridge Annex accommodation. I realise that this is supposed to be a review of Beersbridge Lodge, but the Annex is where they choose to rearrange our accommodation at the last minute. At the Annex there was vomit all over the stairs and the furniture in the bedroom was broken. We had booked a twin room and were told that there were only doubles. We had booked a room with breakfast included, but there was no breakfast available at the Annex. We could not get the heating to work and the room was freezing. However just after midnight, the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated into the car park. However at this point we were able to find a member of staff to put our heating on, but the room was very cold and didn't warm until the morning. Finally, when we left in the morning, we found that the block had been vandalised in the night and wet paint was all over the door of reception making it very hard to give the key back.

We were extremely angry about being moved to this alternative accommodation. I understand situations arise and rooms become double booked. However, I do not understand why we were not told about this earlier and why we were lied to about the location of the new accommodation. We were very disappointed in the new accommodation which was dirty, it was not a twin room, it was miles away from where we had booked to be and did not include the breakfast we were expecting. However, most of all we were disappointed that we missed the start of the show that we had booked to see.

Before being moved from Beersbridge Lodge we were told by the lady who worked there that we should make a complaint. We did attempt to bring it up with the reception staff at Beersbridge Annex, but they seemed inexperienced and completely incapable of dealing with our complaint. We felt that we should be compensated for the cost of the accommodation and the additional taxi fares we had to pay. However, despite promptly writing to the proprietor of Beersbridge Lodge on our arrival home, we are yet to receive a reply over 5 months later.

Beersbridge Lodge is not to be trusted and Beersbridge Annex is a shambles. Don’t stay at either of these places.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank nt1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Campbeltown, Scotland
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here for one night for a friend's wedding and it was fine for an overnight stay. Excellent location for West End and city centre right next to Kelvingrove Park. The owner was extremely friendly and helpful. She was very kind and flexible with our needs. The room was quite small but well appointed and clean. Great value for money and included a continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed here whilst attending a conference in Glasgow, the conference centre was quite far away, however that was probably the organisers fault. I didn't really have time to explore Glasgow so can't really comment on the location in regards to sightseeing or shopping. I arrived quite late (around 10pm) and it was difficult for the taxi driver to find. i was shown to my room which was a good size but the atmosphere made me feel uncomfortable as a female travelling alone. It was noisy and i didn't really have a good sleep. Breakfast in the morning was ok - there was cereal, toast and orange juice. i arrived late, stayed only one night and left early in the morning and that for me was enough. The landlady herself was quite nice and phoned me a taxi in the morning but i don't think id stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Lincoln
Reviewed January 2, 2011

There was heavy snow which brought the country to a halt when I stayed here. It took me 11 hours to get to Glasgow when it usually takes me 5 and yet the hotel was warm and comfortable when I did finally arrive and I was pleased I had madde the effort. There was little or no food in the shops (as supply lorries were stranded) and yet the staff still managed to find bread and milk for breakfast every day, despite being snowed in and unable to home herself. The snow on the park actually looked very picturesque as one braved treacherous pavements to get around in the absense of any local buses running but I would still be happy to do it all again cos Beersbridge made me feel welcome.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I've stayed there this summer with my brother. It is not so far from the city center and nearby kelvingrove park and museums
Big room for little money. A bit noisy from children running around, but I had earplugs :-)
Friendly host, I got sick and they helped me to find the nearest doctor.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Great Northwest
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed here one night en route to Edinburgh. The proprietor is wonderful- very kind and helpful. The rooms are small but cozy, and the guesthouse itself is in a quiet neighborhood in Glasgow near a park. You will have to take a bus into the downtown area, but there are many lovely pubsand a museum walking distance to Beersbridge Lodge.My only complaint is no wi-fi or internet access, but that's very forgivable :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This is one of the cheaper places to stay in Glasgow but I think I would rather pay more in order to get more! The room is fine though needs refurbishing. At least it is warm. bring your own soap!! There was very loud music somewhere nearby which woke me up at 3am then 6am on a Sunday (and I sleep easily so my poor husband took ages getting to sleep). The breakfast is continental (as stated in the guide), pieces of white bread toast and cereals and instant coffee. People had rated the service as friendly. It was not unfriendly just basic and lacking in atmosphere completely at breakfast.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels