“Noisy”
Review of Lorne Hotel

Lorne Hotel
Ranked #62 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We arrived after a long drive to a rather nice and clean looking hotel. Warm friendly staff gave us our key and we made our way to a clean cosy comfortable room. Having driven all day we decided a shower and clean up in the on suite bath and shower, a little drink in the bar which I found to be on the pricey side and a bite to eat. Then of to bed. We was on the second floor and an asian function was going on, on the floor below us. We felt evert beat and bass through the bed and about 10.30 the tried to phone reception and ended up using our own phone as the phone in the room wouldn't conect. We was told that the function was going on till 1am in the morning and as there was no spare rooms we had to endure the noise. We were also told that there was another function on the next night. If you book this hotel find out if there is a function on and if there is either ask for a floor other than the second one. Ap at from that we were pleased with the hotel

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank crazyhors

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Was here on business and found the hotel staff to be friendly and interior to be modern and functional. The room wasn't massive but fine for one person. Great breakfast selection too. It's not too close to the centre but fine for visiting the west side of the city. Good bars nearby too.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matthew_Blackett
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked my parents into this hotel for their 40th wedding anniversary and it was a disaster from start to finish.

When they arrived the reception staff had no note of their booking despite the fact that it had been booiked 2 weeks prior to their arrival and my parents had the confirmation e mail with them!! When the booking was finally located they were told that they had to make payment even although I had already given credit card details on the hotels secure booking website?? My parents contacted me to try and sort things out and when I eventually got through to the hotel they said that although I had given my card details this was only used for guests that do not show up!! NO reference to this was made on the confirmation e mail!! I eventually presuaded them to take my card details over the phone again in order that they would let my parents go to their room after more than an hour from their initial arrival. When they eventually found their room, as the lights were dim and the corridors were not easy to negotiate, there were stains over the carpet and the room was extremely basic - nothing like the photographs on the website suggested. However nothing could be done as my parents had arrangements for the evening and were already ruinning late. In the morning when they came down for breakfast there was very little choice at the buffet and what was there was cold and uncovered. When they went back to their room after breakfast they key card to their door had been deactivated and they had to stand in a long queue at reception to get this resolved as the hotel had thought it was just a one night stay. I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone, yes, it may be centrally located but for the money I was charged it is certainly not good value for money!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Argyll73
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Positive:
- Rooms were okay.
- Bathroom was clean, had everything you want. A.
- Beds were very comfy.
- Breakfast was great. Fair choices, tasted great.
- The downstairs bar is neat. They have open until long after midnight, and the drinks were good.
- Location is very good. Many good restaurants in walking distance, a park, and very near to the SECC.
- Rather cheap. Good value.

Negative:
- They seem to have organizational problems. When we arrived, one of our two rooms wasn't ready. We went to the room we already had and were told that we'd get a call when the other one would be ready. Well, we never got that call. After about 4 hours we went down to the reception to ask, and were told the room was ready already.
- Television was very disappointing. Very few channels, the digital TV had a lot of connection issues and was overall very slow.
- Rooms, though overall fine, would not let you open the windows more than a couple of cm. Bummer if you like fresh air.

Overall, if you're planning to stay at the Lorne hotel just for a couple of nights and you'll be out and about for most of the day, I'd say go ahead. It serves its purpose and it's relatively cheap. If you're in Glasgow for an extended stay and plan to spend time in your room, you may want to keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was disappointed by the Lorne Hotel.

I still haven't received a reply to my letter, written 6 weeks ago.

Actually, the hotel was nice. I got a lovely room and bathroom for a very reasonable price. The breakfast was fine.

My problem was communication. It said in the book in my room that there were 2 restaurants and I should ask at Reception for menus. There was a sample menu of the Indian restaurant in the book, but not of the European one. I asked at Reception for a menu for this restaurant, but they just said "Go to the restaurant and they'll give you a menu." The only restaurant I could find was the Indian one, and I had seen the menu on the street door. I had a meal there, but I would have preferred a lighter meal that night, and not Indian. I never found the other restaurant.

I thought it said in the book that there was a computer I could use for a fee, When I asked I found there wasn't. Apparently they only have Wi-Fi, not computers.

It said in the book that there was a list of laundry prices included. I asked at Reception the night before I wanted to do a wash, but they said "Come back to-morrow". I took my washing down to Reception, only to be told it would be cheaper to go to the launderette - which would still have been open the next day. I took my washing to the launderette, but it was almost as expensive as the hotel's laundry service. I just wanted to know prices, so that I could plan.

Still, when I asked for an iron and ironing-board, I got them all right.

Room Tip: The rooms were fine. My room was quite far from the lift, but at least there was a lift.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MaryMcPherson
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My view booked for 2 days.hotel is great nice bar very good Indian restaurant next door. Rooms are a bit small but the price you pay.the price is brilliant staff very good. am coming back next year. So good booked my daughter and her friend into it for the mobo awards the best hotel in this area thanks

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2013

we stayed at the Lorne Hotel for a 2 night stay. The room was clean but not in great condition, badly finished, small, no plugs close to a mirror, very lumpy and, most likely old mattress on the bed. the breakfast again was very average, not a huge selection and the cooked items on the buffet were all stone cold. Plenty of staff going about at breakfast time but not sure why as they didn't seem to be doing anything, it was all help yourself, even the coffee. We visit Glasgow on a regular basis and this is the poorest hotel we have stayed in, wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple