“My latest stay at the Lorne” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lorne Hotel

Lorne Hotel
Ranked #49 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dunfermline
“My latest stay at the Lorne”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just spent 2 evenings at the Lorne and it will be a long time before I return. Having stayed here before because of its convenient location to the west end, I looked forward to using it as my base for the weekend.

First surprise was to be told that I couldn't order a morning newspaper as, according to the receptionist, the hotel "didn't have enough petty cash!!!" That's a first for me. Next, I was surprised to find that apart from the mirror over the wash basin, there are no mirrors in the room which I am sure will be an inconvenience to anyone who needs / likes a full length mirror to check their appearance before going out.

Next small niggle was in the bar where the draught Peroni was not available at 4.30pm in the afternoon, as according to the bar person, the "pipes were being cleaned" and it wouldn't be available for half an hour. After waiting until 5.15pm, I gave up. I have never, in over 30 years of being a licensee, cleaned my beer pipes in the middle of the day, so another first for the Lorne.

The next inconvenience was having telephoned reception just after midnight from my mobile, the telephone in my room didn't work, I requested a sandwich from the room service menu. There are numerous items to eat on this menu, mostly marked with an asterisk denoting thery are only available until 10pm, but the sandwiches are supposed to be available 24 hours. Don't count on it because the night reception are "not allowed in the kitchen", so take your packed lunch with you.

Finally, when checking out this morning, I was told by the receptionist that I couldn't have an itemised receipt for any extras that I had added to my bill, just a copy of my credit card voucher with a total amount on it. Just as well I kept the individual receipts from the bar, which had to be requested as the bar staff were not keen to offer them. This was the only way I could check that I was charged the correct amount.

My conclusion - I do not blame the individual staff for such a disappointing stay, but believe they are only complying with instructions from further up the command ladder, such as no newspapers, no 24 hour food service, etc. There is plenty of competition in this part of Glasgow for people's leisure pounds and the Lorne will need to improve dramatically if it's going to receive its share.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

After my last stay in September I was not happy to be booked in again. But I must say I was amazed by the difference. Reception staff was friendly and different from last time upon asking I was told that there has been a recent change in management.
Room was nice and tidy. Food was good. All in all a good experience.
Up until this time I never thought I would say this But " would love to stay here again".

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for a quite night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

The worst place ever
took me 3 days to talk to the manager about our stay here so
many phone calls wanted to sort things out before reporting here
Although the manager eventually offered us a room free of charge next time we were in Glasgow
we live 6 hours away and have our own business so we dont come to glasgow very often maybe once a year
so not too impressed with that
i was also phoned by the reservation manager who was front of house she offered us a free 3 course dinner voucher by e mail still waiting for that 1 week ago have phone to speak to her but no reply phoned again tonight and spoke to the restaurant manager omg how rude was he
so no choice to report this hotel on trip adviser would so much prefer to have sorted this out with the hotel
avoid this hotel at any cost

Room Tip: avoid room 420
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elegantmum

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The room was small, tired, but functional. On drawing back the duvet I noticed , because it didn't fasten at the end, that the duvet was heavily stained.

I photographed the disgusting stains, told the reception staff and also later emailed it to the hotel, pointing out that I couldn't understand how someone could make the bed having seen the poor condition. I got a lovely reply from an independent hotel assessor who happened to be there on the day, who invited me back to prove they could do better. However since that first email the hotel have declined to have any discussion, and refuse to reply to any of my emails. I therefore would advise against staying there, just in case you get the same poor treatment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Gavin A
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as part of a birthday treat for my other half as we're going to a show at the SECC. I emailed the hotel the day after our stay with the following:

The room we stayed in was sub-standard for what we expected based on your website. There was a funny mark on the ceiling. The lights did not all work (overhead initially did not come on and one bedside table which did not come on at all). There was a hole in the wall beside the tv which had been poorly filled in but not properly skimmed and re-painted. There was a big frayed section of carpet outside the bathroom.

The room seemed to be designed as an adjoining room type as there was a door leading into the next door room. Although this door was locked, it was a keyhole lock so you could easily see into the other room and obviously vice versa. This also meant there was very poor soundproofing between the rooms so we could hear EVERYTHING from next door including the occupant talking on her mobile late at night (keeping us awake), her using the bathroom and her alarm clock which went off at 5.30am waking us up.

Five minutes after checking in, I visited reception to ask to move room and advised what the problems were. We were advised the hotel was full and therefore we could not be moved and furthermore no-one came to check the issues to see if they could fix the lights for example. I think it is very poor service that we were offered no solutions or even a gesture of goodwill to pacify the situation. To be honest, the receptionist could not have cared less.

After a pleasant experience in the bar and restaurant that evening we were looking forward to breakfast the following morning. However this too was below standard.

As we walked into the restaurant most of the tables were covered in dirty crockery and left over food. We were waiting for several minutes before being seated. The waiter refused to address me, speaking only to my fiancé. Even when I directed questions towards him, he spoke to my fiancé. I found this to be very rude. We were advised it was self service and offered toast but when the toast came it was still completely white on one side having clearly not been toasted. I asked the waiter to return the toast and again he came back and addressed my fiancé and not me.

The tea was lukewarm. There was not a lot of food options, only two (very battered looking)croissants remained for a continental option. So I went for a cooked breakfast. The selection was poor and not cooked to the high standards I expected based on my experience the night before.

I couldn't wait to leave.

We stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn, a ten minute walk from the Lorne Hotel in August and paid only £65 for a far superior room, breakfast and service. I will never book a stay at the Lorne Hotel again and will be advising my friends and family to do the same which is a real shame.

I have waited a week and had no response at all from the hotel. I would definitely not recommend this hotel, although I'm sure the other rooms will be better than ours, there is no excuse for the poor service we received.

• Stayed October 2012
Hamilton, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Reception and bar areas were impressive, Stylish and modern. The room itself was nice, but overall it was small, they did lack detail of the finishing touches, Ie decorating. The air conditioning was a tad noisy and it wasn't very sound proof, However its not too bad.. No problems with booking, and the staff were all very friendly and helpful... The breakfast was also nice too... Would stay again...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Angus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

There was a group of us from work who were booked into stay at this hotel. Like many others on this site when we turned up there was no record of our booking. However, they did manage to fit us into the hotel with a combination of some people sharing rooms, etc. We were lucky as we had arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon as soon guests arriving to check in during the early evening had to transfer to another hotel in Hamilton (South Lanarkshire) – not ideal for those who had a busy day. Guests were told to go and wait in the bar area – some seemed to be there for hours. During check in staff seemed more able to come up with excuses rather than actually resolve the problems.

When we were given our rooms a couple of my colleagues who were “sharing” a room were given a double room instead of a twin room. The room had not been made up since the last guest and the bed had clearly been used. Similarly there were issues with the toilet not being clean or flushed since the last guest. My hotel room was clean and modern.

The hotel restaurant specialises in Indian food so this may not suit all tastes but the prices are good.

The bar was not very stocked and over the course of the evening ran out of various drinks – including everything on draught, then bottled beers, then jagermeister, etc. The bar was eventually closed and everyone ushered out to the hotel foyer.

Breakfast was fine with a good choice and the usual self service.

The hotel is very modern and stylish but needs to make massive improvements to the reservations system, housekeeping and the bar. All of these are very important in running and at the very basics.

Parking is free off Argyll Street – less than 5 minutes’ walk. Hotel location is at the west end of Sauchiehall Street so quite a far walk to the city centre (20 minutes or so) and not on a train or subway line (close). Similarly Byres Road and Great Western Road are a good 15 minutes or so walk away.

The staff offered various degrees of helpfulness during our stay at the hotel. Some were very professional and helpful. However, other members of staff were rude and unhelpful and in need of customer services training.

I would struggle to recommend this hotel to anyone else especially if prepaying. We were offered no discounts or reduction in our final invoice and would not be keen to return to this hotel under the same ownership and management. There are loads of basic issues at the hotel which need resolving.

Room Tip: Use hotel as a last resort.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business