“Not past reception yet! An hour and waiting”
Review of Lorne Hotel

Lorne Hotel
Ranked #52 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
“Not past reception yet! An hour and waiting”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I would love to review the hotel but after an hour in reception neither myself nor the other 40 people in reception have a key. Fingers crossed I get a room by midnight!! On a positive they did give us a free drink

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Dcs34
Gordon W, General Manager at Lorne Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Dcs34

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback about your recent stay at the Lorne Hotel Glasgow. I have just taken over the Hotel so all guest feedback is really helpful in allowing me to understand what we do well and put together a plan to improve on the things we're not so good at.

It sounds like we really let you down, unfortunately that isn't good enough and is entirely inexcusable, for that please accept my sincere apologies. I do hope that we were able to get you checked in and that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel.

If you're back in Glasgow please contact me directly at the Hotel and I'll make sure you're looked after.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

If you book this hotel there is a very high probability that on arrival you'll find they have no rooms left and that they've made alternative arrangements for you to stay at a sister hotel. Unfortunately this "alternative" is likely to be nowhere near the West End, or even Glasgow! I was offered a room in Hamilton. I cancelled my booking but two weeks later I am still waiting for a refund. Staff who answer my calls are unhelpful and evasive (the manager never seems to be available).
Note also that Strathclyde Police are investigating ongoing booking issues at this hotel. Be warned!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Norman M
Dear Norman M

It sounds like we let you down, overbookings are entirely unacceptable and whilst they happen for a range of reasons it isn't good enough. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this caused you for what should have been a great stay in our fantastic Hotel.

I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue you've had with your refund, I'm sorry this hasn't been dealt with before now. I've only been appointed as manager today and therefore am not yet based at the Hotel. If I could ask you to email me your details to gordon@wilsonltd.co.uk I will get someone to investigate the matter.

Gordon

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stay in hotels across the country 4 nights per week with work and can safely say, despite staying in some very modest hotels and b and b's, that my stay in Lorne was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel.
In summary, I arrived at the hotel on Tuesday night at 8.00pm only to be told that they had accidentally double booked my room on the first night of my two night stay. I am of the opinion that accidents can happen and so was happy to wait until they found me alternative accommodation. I was annoyed that it took them until 11.30 to find me a room when hotels.com clearly showed lots of availability across Glasgow.
As instructed by Lorne I returned on the Wednesday night for the second night of my pre paid stay. My room was double booked AGAIN. I politely expressed my disappointment only be told in a fairly snotty manner that their only obligation was to find me a different room and that I had only been waiting a few hours. I then told him that I had actually checked in the night before hence my disappointment. I asked one of the staff who the manager was and he pointed out the Hotel owner at the end of the bar. I politely requested a chance to speak to him which was ignored. One hour later he was passing and I excused myself and asked could I have a quick minute of his time. He denied to my face that he was the owner and was in no such position to offer a refund or compensation.
So anyways, I sit and wait for accommodation to be found. Finally after much polite pleading they find me a room at 2.40 in the morning. I had a flight booked for 7.20 from Glasgow that morning and so could look forward to a maximum 3 hours sleep in the alternative accommodation. I then woke up in the alternative accommodation to get some much needed breakfast only to be told that the Lorne Hotel had booked me on a room only basis. It really does beggar belief.
On a positive note the bar staff and reception staff were courteous and amicable even when clearly stressed. The general/bar manager Craig was very unhelpful to the point of being argumentative even when the hotel was clearly in the wrong. I asked him would I be expected to pay for this experience and he explained that he had not got the authority to issue a refund. I can accept this but he would not give me any guarantee that the owner/manager would contact me at any stage only telling me to put it in writing for the attention of the owner. I asked before I left if the owner could contact me but alas I am still waiting for any contact as is the other guests I spoke to who had the displeasure of staying in Lorne.
I can say, with genuine sincerity, that I would not stay in this hotel again for free and I implore anyone with any alternative to AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Robert

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank robert431
Dear robert431

As a fellow traveller I can understand your frustrations and would like to apologise for whatever has led to the issues with your reservation. Your feedback clearly identifies the need for training within the team and I'm keen this will be implemented as soon as possible to stop other guests from having a similar experience to yours.

I have only been appointed today and not being based at the Hotel can only express my apologies that you haven't heard from anyone in relation to your complaint. I was pleased to note that you found our bar and reception staff to be courteous, I'll make sure this feedback is cascaded to the team.

I hope you'll give me the chance to welcome you back to the Hotel sometime in the future. Please contact me directly if you're back in Glasgow.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Where to start?! I should have know that when I tried to book my room, it took 3 attempts on the phone as no one answered! I was going out in the westend, therefore this hotel was ideal location for me. I should have checked tripadvisor before I booked!

Hotel is lovely as you enter, nice reception area, very deceiving! Reception looked a bit of a shambless with a harrassed receptionist who could not find our booking (suprise). I was made to feel like it was my fault that they could not find my booking, was told to take a seat while they sorted it out. An hour later, we had our room.

I'm glad my room was on a discounted rate as I would not have paid the going rate for this room! There was staines on the wall, the carpet was marked, the furniture looked worn and cheap. It was, however, clean.

We ate in the restaurant before going out, again, the staff had no clue, our order was messed up twice with no apology. Not enough staff for the size of restaurant, and no one seemed to care that mistakes were being made.

During the night, we were awoke several times by people staying on the same floor, fire doors banging (at least 3 on each floor) and then was rudely awoken twice in the morning by housekeeping.

At breakfast, the food was sparse, we had to wait on more food being brought out. Staff lacking as ususal. When we did get more food, it was soaked with grease and tasted slightly like pakora. Not good when you're hungover...

Check out was pretty much as good as check in, an utterly miserable receptionist huffing as we were served. Never even asked if we enjoyed our stay!

Would not recommend nor return. Not even if you paid me! Very poor excuse for a hotel.

Room Tip: Dont stay!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gracie A
Dear Gracie A

I'm sorry you found your recent stay didn't live up to expectation. You have highlighted a number of areas where we can get better and I will address all of them with the relevant members of the team, be assured that they will be used as part of our ongoing committment to improve. I was pleased to read that you found the Hotel to be clean and that we were located well for your night out.

I'd love to welcome you back to the Hotel next time you're in Glasgow. Please contact me directly if you would like to make a booking.

Cotswolds UK
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel checking in late afternoon. Although a very old building the hotel is very modern and you would never know how old the hotel is.

At check in I was helped to find parking spot for weekend and given a network cable for my laptop.

Although the room is very compact everything was clean tidy and in working order, although I did bash the tv walking round the bed.

Great shower. I did not have breakefast as this was not included in the cost.

bar prices were quite high so drank over the road.

All in all a good modern hotel just 5 mins from Kelvinhall or the GSA and shops

Very happy for the £50 i paid

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Greenoak

Absolutely delighted to read your positive comments about your recent stay with us. So pleased that you found your stay to be enjoyable and that our staff were able to help you find somewhere to get parked.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel sometime soon.

Happy travelling
Manchester
Reviewed September 13, 2012

A modern hotel with comfortable rooms, the staff were very friendly & helpful, The restaurant food was good but they did struggle serving large number at once. They had a whole coach full come in at the same time for breakfast which meant people were standing round waiting for food to be cooked and even worse ran out of crockery. This was the hotels fault as they had told them to come in at the same time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Smartmart1958

Thank you for your positive comments relating to your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and I'll make sure your feedback is shared with the team. In relation to breakfast, you've highlighted an area we need to get better and I'll make sure your comments are passed to the restaurant manager to help us improve.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lorne Hotel.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

First room we got was terrible. Lights didn't work, kettle didn't work, no storage for our clothes. Couldn't be moved as hotel was full. In morning I called to complain (again) and move rooms, but phone wasn't working! Second room was a little better, although walls so thin I could hear couple next door talking.
Indian restaurant was not great, and breakfast (which we got on the house) was satisfactory.
Not nearly enough staff for a hotel this size. Although the staff that were there tried their best.
I wont be going back and would not recommend to my friends. For the price there are much better alternatives.

Room Tip: Our rooms were 208 and 424. Avoid those.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fraser Brighton S
Dear Fraser Brighton S

I'm sorry our Hotel didn't live up to your expectation during your recent stay with us. I'm glad we were able to find you another room when we had an alternative available but I'm disappointed for the need to move. I'll pick this up with our housekeeping and maintenance team to ensure that we have a more rigorous checking system in place in future.

I hope you'll reconsider staying with us again. With a fantastic location in the heart of Glasgow's West End and a short walking distance to the City Centre the Hotel provides a great base for a trip to the city. Please contact me directly if you'd like to stay with us sometime in the future.