“Awful”

Ranked #56 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Awful”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The hotel is far too cold, the room was awful with a leaking ceiling from above causing bare/soggy holes on the carpet. There was a window connecting the toilet with the bedroom which looked bizarre. The only good things about the hotel were the breakfast and the location although the girl taking orders in the downstairs bar was very polite and helpful.Decent location that's about it.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ScotlandHighlandLass
GMLorne, General Manager at Lorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I am disappointed to read that we did not live up to our 4 star standard which we greatly pride ourselves in, which resulted in a very unpleasant stay for yourself.

As the new General Manager, I am taking all feedback into account as I strive to ensure that all previous issues are rectified and they do not make an appearance again.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, please contact me in 0141 330 1555 if you would like to discuss this further.

Kind Regards,

Martin Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed at the Lorne Hotel last night for business purposes. I found it to be a lovely warm welcoming place. The receptionist was very polite and helpful and the foyer is very welcoming with a fire glowing and comfortable sofas to use. The room although a bit small was comfortable and spotlessly clean; tea coffee making in the room is always a bonus. The bathroom was very well finished and very clean too. Nice soap, shampoo and body lotion supplied. The lounge area was busy and very tidy. Breakfast was buffet style but tea and toast was served by a very polite and friendly waitress. Would definitely book again. The hotel is very central within walking distance of the city centre and 5 minutes on foot to the SECC. Overall the hotel is well kept and of a modern style. Hope they keep it that way

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kalkanval
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Our room was very small, with no space to unpack a suitcase and limited clothes hanging space. Room was cool and but this suited us -often hotel rooms are stuffy, overheated and with poor ventilation. The window in the bathroom did not shut properly so it was very cool (January). But the room was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. The restaurant was brilliant with friendly helpful staff and the food was very good - some of the best Indian food I've had - although a bit expensive.

Falkirk
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed here on a "Living Social" voucher, so had the room, breakfast, two cocktails and a £20 meal voucher all for £79. First of all this is very good value for money for a very good location in Glasgow. (I would really give 3.5 out of 5 but definately not 4)
The hotel entrance is really nice and modern and the bar is a good size serving all sorts of cocktails.
Our room was small (511) but perfectly adequate for a one night stay. The furniture and bed were a bit dated and the carpet needed a bit of a clean. The en-suite shower was the smallest I have ever been in and the fittings were loose with nowhere to put shower gel etc.
The best part of our stay was definately the food. The Indian restaurant (Bukhara) was first class and the dinner was excellent. The servings are a good size and the choices are extensive. We ate too much, as usual when we eat Indian food.
All the hotel staff were very friendly with the restaurant staff taking time to explain and recommend dishes at night.
Breakfast in the morning was also very good. Food was hot and plentiful and was served buffet style.
The hotel was very noisy on a Friday evening and doors were being slammed shut and people shouting in the corridor until about 04:00am (god can "Weegi" girls scream and shout when they've been drinking). This spoiled an otherwise good experience, although I suppose this would have been the same in any city centre hotel on a Friday evening.
I have noticed that the deal is back with "Living Social" and we will definately consider again.

Room Tip: Avoid weekends or be prepared for a bit of noise.
Scotland
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Living Social deal due to expire 31/01/12 so thought we'd better use it or lose it! Deal included £20 towards dinner in Bukarah, the Indian restaurant attached to the hotel, 2 cocktails of your choice and of course, bed and breakfast. We had asked for a room on a higher floor because of noise etc, and were given room 504. Really handy, out of the lift, through a fire door and we were there! Ok, room was small, but perfectly formed. Small wardrobe, hairdryer, ironing board and iron, kettle, coffee/tea etc, and a nice size tv on the wall. Bathroom was lovely, half the size of the room, bath with shower over (and not a speck of mould on the shower curtain) fully tiled, and spotless. Room was cold as the room key (card) also operated the electric from a wee gismo on the wall, so everything went off within a couple of minutes of leaving the room. Tip.....credit/store/morrisons miles cards are exactly the same size as the room card....so we had a nice warm room to come back to!!!! ;-) Appreciate what the hotel is trying to do though, saving energy and all that. And i think it should be law that ALL hotel doors should be 'soft close'!
Had an early dinner as we were going to a 'panto' in the Pavilion. Restaurant was quiet at that time (about 5pm) and i wasn't particularly hungry. That's what was good about a £20 voucher - we could choose as much or as little as we liked and have the £20 taken off the bill. So one starter, poppodums, 2 mains and 2 cocktails later we were ready for the show! Another good thing, last food orders were as late as 11.30pm unlike most hotel restaurants, so could have waited til we got back!
Enjoyed the panto, and the taxi driver on the way back - what a character! Saw parts of Glasgow he didnt intend to drive through, only been in the job a week and not too sure of routes etc - so he insisted on knocking a bit off the meter! Happily tipped him well though, he made our night!
Went to the bar to have some more cocktails.....gorgeous. A bit pricey but were going down a treat! The 'bilberry' was lovely, but my favourite was the almond chocolate punch.....trying to recreate it at home now....! Not much on in the way of entertainment, except for the very drunk braless micro skirted blonde...I'm sure she knows who she is and probably has a very sore head this morning! Had to confiscate hubby's glasses.....!
Breakfast in the restaurant was served til 10.30, usual fruit/cereal/croissants and several cooked items, though sorry to say they were all a bit cold. That's due mainly to thoughtless guests leaving the lids open so not too much the hotel can do about that.
Would be very happy to stay here again, stylish, clean, nice receptionist and waiting/bar staff, surprisingly easy to park and close enough to the city centre. A great deal, look forward to another!

1 Thank Linda G
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the rime to write about your stay with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and I am glad we pleasantly surprised you.

We hope to see you back again in the near future.

Regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Lift outside for disabled people was not working, so not off to a good start! Had to wait ages at reception to check in, but the lounge and bar area are very pleasant. The staff were very helpful with my baggage and advising me on the parking situation. My room was large, however the TV was on the right hand wall from the bed which made viewing it very difficult and not comfortable at all. The net curtain had a large rip in it, and our view was of a roof with piping lying around for the air conditioning, which blew about noisily in the wind. I had a wet room which was not very clean. It took 3 kettles to get one which both worked and did not leak!! The service to fix this was very slow and in fact I had to go to the desk and make 2 phonecalls. Dinner was superb in the attached restaurant and the staff were very attentive. The morning was a diffierent matter as the drain was blocked in the wet room, which meant I had a room full of water - not very safe and it meant a paddle to go to the toilet. Breakfast followed which was cold, even though it had come from the kitchen and not form a hot display unit - it was broken! There was only one member of staff in the dining room, she was doing a good job but was very busy as everything kept running out, juice, coffee, tea, glasses etc. and she was having to take breakfast orders as well. The chef was not coping and I beleive the maintenance man was in the kitchen helping the chef cook the breakfasts - he should have been fixing the drain in the bathroom!! I do not think I will be staying at this hotel again - Faulty Towers springs to mind!!!

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel and check the drains before you unpack!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank P L
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I greatly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful and attentive, however, overall we seem to have fallen short of your expectations and for this, I apologise.

I am pleased to tell you that the hotel is now under new management and we are making significant changes throughout the hotel. I do hope we get the chance in the near future, to welcome you back to the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel on 0141 330 1555.

Regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I, would never step back in this place,, I'm Scottish and am embarrassed by the standards this hostel gets away with , poor staff,, rude management, terrible bar choice,, over priced food , vile doesnt come close to the rooms that look like a cheap hookers bedroom, , stay away at all costs much better for less in the area.

• Stayed December 2011