“Quality and Value”

Ranked #28 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Ballina
“Quality and Value”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights based on other reviews and must agree about the quality and value of this hotel. Room was very clean and although small (I had a single room) had everything I needed. Walls are a little thin and you can hear quite a bit from adjoining rooms, but this did not disturb my sleep. Breakfast was typical Scottish and ample enough to last me through much of the day. Hotel is in good location with handy public transport once you master the crazy multi-company bus systems. Staff are very efficient if a little reserved, but one female staff member (Lyn?) who checked me in was friendly and responded to my emails after a flight delay might have caused a late arrival.

My only reason for not giving 5 stars for this review is because of the noise from a bar downstairs outside my room (Room 3). Although the noise did not go much beyond 10:30pm the smokers who sit outside get louder and louder as the evening moves on. This is not a fault of the Acorn Hotel and probably other rooms do not experience this. Despite this I strongly recommend the Acorn Hotel.

Room Tip: Some street noise from lower rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here with a former partner in 2009, which seems like a long time ago. However, a friend of mine recently stayed here too. We compared notes and found that nothing much had changed in the intervening years, more's the pity.

So, this hotel is in a good location for either the west end of the city or the city centre itself, situated just off of Sauchiehall Street. The rooms themselves, from our experiences, are of a normal size (within expectations) and are furnished with relatively new accessories. The shower was particularly good, I recall.

However, the staff were slightly abrupt with both parties, which is not something you expect when you're paying slightly more than the going rate for one of the big budget hotels. The breakfast was a huge let down, as the "kitchen" turned out to be a tiny section of the dining room, shamelessly blocked off from the rest of the room by some rather indiscreet MDF panelling, which had been decorated in an attempt to make it look like the rest of the room.

Needless to say, the quality of the breakfast was far from adequate. Having stayed in many hotels within the same price bracket before, I have always enjoyed the "luxury" of requesting that my bacon be crispy or my eggs be poached, for instance. These widely accepted norms of hotel living appear to have gone completely over the heads of the management and staff of the Acorn Hotel, however, as no attention was paid to the detail of the breakfast, which was served briskly, without much due care and attention.

I suppose if you opt for the continental breakfast, there's relatively little that can go wrong. But, if like me and countless others, you crave the comfort of a fully cooked breakfast experience, you're better off shunning the offerings of the Acorn and walking the short distance to the city centre or the west end and seeking solace in one of the many cafes nearby.

The room was fine, but I won't be staying here again and neither will my friends. It's a shame, because the photographs make the hotel look really lovely and I really wanted to like it, but I was left sorely disappointed by this experience. The Acorn Hotel isn't a patch on the bigger hotel chains like Jury's or Premier Inn, in terms of vfm when you factor in service and breakfast quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Communista
robertmcq, Owner at Acorn Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We were a bit confused about this review but having worked it out it would seem that you yourself stayed 4 years ago and you are basing the review around that stay and a recent stay by a friend of yours.
I find it highly unlikely that 2 completely different sets of staff would have been abrupt with you, perhaps abruptness has been mistaken for efficiency and a brisk business like manner.
The kitchen is in a corner of the dining room, but we have made no attempt to hide that fact, yes it is decorated the same way as the dining room but that was purely a decorative decision as in keeping it the same colour etc nothing to do with trying to hide the fact that it is a kitchen, which would have been impossible.
With regard to the breakfast menu, there is a choice of eggs on the menu and if a guest asks to have well done bacon or toast for example we do our best to accommodate them.
It is very difficult to tell from the review what are the points from 4 years ago and the points from the recent stay.
Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and once again great service great breakfast and lovely room. It's in a quiet part of Glasgow although near enough to Sauchiehall St.[Charing Cross] to walk to shops etc. Lazy me would prefer to be on the ground floor but maybe next time I will.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Clermont Gardens have a nicer view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Can't really say enough good things about this place... so cute, great location (close to the University and to the main part of town as long as you don't mind a little walking). Darling rooms that are clean and have all the amenities and more (even a hair straightener and great little cookies). Best of all was the view from our window. We were on the top floor facing north (I think) and could see old buildings and a park. The room was a little hot and we could only open the window slightly for safety reasons. Great little pub down stairs, with super nice people. The only downfall would be there is no lift/elevator. So walking up all four flights of stairs with luggage is only for the fit. Never had their breakfast, although they do offer it. The lady we had upon check-in was so kind, she was still very new but was one of the sweetest hotel staff members I have ever come across. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It's worth the top floor for the view but beware there is no lift/elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katrina O
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Great find for a last minute visit to family who live locally, nice west end based area, Very clean, half hour walk from main shopping area & ten mins from a lovely big park. Recomend for a short stay...free parking all weekend right outside.

• Stayed July 2013
Waisai, Indonesia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night before heading up to Mallaig the following morning. The lady running it was very friendly (as we found most Scottish people) and helpful. Very nice rooms. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

we stayed two nights here. we had to pay up front and no explanation was given re car parking. so we fed the meter only to discover later we could have had cheaper vouchers from hotel! the first two rooms we were shown to had problems, but without any hassle we were moved to a different room by the man on reception.

i have seen fancier hotels, but the bed linen and shower room were spotless, so that's good enough for me. a wee bit disappointing to see the shower wash, shampoo combined was lux! i could really have used some hair conditioner! warning, take your own! ghd
straighteners and hair drier to use though.

breakfast was fine, cooked to order and served with a smile. mushrooms were yuk tho! suspect frozen? coffee, tea and biscuits in the room if you like that sort of thing.

the hotel is partly above a pub which has a nice wee beer garden, they also do food, but we did not sample this so cannot comment.

its a 15 min walk to the Kelvingrove art gallery and museum, highly recommended. free entry and its easy to spend a whole day there.

the acorn is well positioned for shopping, eating and drinking. do not go there for a wild time with friends, its a more laid back, quiet place really.

nothing fancy, but good enough for us! depends how up yer own bum you are about where you stay really.

• Stayed July 2013