“very nice stay for £70 b&b for two on a saturday night in glasgow!”

Best Western Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #58 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“very nice stay for £70 b&b for two on a saturday night in glasgow!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a really nice stay here - ok so it's a 10 minute walk to the shops but we felt that was fine and you get what you pay for here. Our room was a cosy double on the third floor and no lift so there are lots of stairs but again it was no issue for our stay. Room was clean and we enjoyed the breakfast help yourself buffet which had plenty selection . The only thing we felt slightly irritated by was the warmth of the hotel - it's very warm and we only discovered a fan in the room when we're leaving - so pays you to check these things when you get there. Car park is also good value - right round the corner and £10 for a 24 hour stay although the hotel said £12 when they stamped the parking ticket when we checked out. Staff were also very good and very helpful and appeared happy and attentive.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back of the building because we had a lot of noise during the night at the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here with a friend, was a good deal £80 for both of us for bed & breakfast.....on arriving and seeing the room no wonder it was so cheap. The room basically had a queen size bed, dressing table and that was it.....definitely limited room to swing the preverbial cat! It was at the back of the building and obviously above the kitchen as it was quite noisy starting about 6.30 am and cooking aromas could be smelt in our room. Spoke to a girl who worked for the Best Western Group the next day and she paid more than us (with staff discount) for a room that was not much better.

In fairness the room was clean, modern and well decorated, but in late June is there really any need for the heating to be on all night?

Breakfast was nice, buffet style breakfast with loads to choose from and no hassles in providing me with gluten free bread.

If you are staying here, DO NOT ask the staff to call you a taxi.....we made that mistake and we paid £15 to be taken from the hotel, which is just round the corner from the Kings Theatre to George Square.......seems the hotel may be on some kind of arrangement with the taxi company.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed September 29, 2013

OK for the price in a city I suppose I should have not been surprised but there is no excuse for lack of cleanliness and the generally disappointing surroundings. No bar although the receptionist would serve you drinks in the lounge. Room was tiny,not cleaned properly and bathroom supplies not replenished. Breakfast was OK. A 15 min walk from the centre with a theatre just around the corner. Overall there must be better in the Glasgow at £69 per night?

Room Tip: Do not have 217 if you can help it. There are bigger rooms that my colleagues stayed in.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a night in Glasgow with the girls! Room was massive and had everything we needed! Was really central to a lot of restaurants and bars! Staff were very friendly! Hotel has nice cosy feel to it! Would def visit again!

Scotland
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I started off my stay with bad impressions which I think unfortunately coloured my overall view of the place.

Check in is from 2pm and I arrived around 1.45pm, knowing/expecting to have a short wait before I could get into my room. The people checking in ahead of me were informed of the 2pm check-in at the desk but were then told their room was actually already available for them. I was told mine wasn't ready yet but to take a wait in the lounge and it wouldn't be long.

At 2.10pm, the receptionist informed the other guest waiting in the lounge that their room was ready and said to me mine was almost ready - they were just carrying out 'final checks' - and she'd let me know when it was done.

Between 2.10pm and 2.30pm a stream of other guests arrived and all checked in successfully - having been told their rooms weren't ready but they'd be switched into an available room.

I went back to the reception at 2.35pm to ask if my room was ready to be told, yes it was. So God knows how long I'd been sitting waiting while my room (or whatever other empty room) was available. I was by this point pretty annoyed as I'd pre-arranged to meet friends at 3pm and had to re-organise plans as I still needed to shower and freshen up.

The room I had was a double but was pretty small - the bed took up most of the room making it a nightmare for space and using the cupboard. Similarly the bathroom was fairly small with the door unable to open all the way back due to the towel rail, and sitting on the toilet was a cramped affair. The room was also in some serious need of updating - there were cracks and holes in the wood.

The reviewer below me summed it up perfectly when they said the hotel was 'run down and tired'.

The two pros I can think of are,
1: It is a great location. I lived in Glasgow for 8 years so know it well and the location was why I picked it since I knew I'd be meeting friends in both town and the westend over my weekend stay. But looking at it from a visitor's perspective it's even better as it's really easy to navigate from and to since it's just off the main thoroughfare of Sauchiehall street.

2: The shower was great. Took ages to heat up, but was brilliant once it got going.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TheIcarusII
Whitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is pretty good, being just around the corner from Sauchiehall Street. So I was fairly impressed to see it was less than £90 for b&b.

But that's about it for positives, the hotel itself is tired and a bit worn out. I had a room in the sub-level, although large, the room just wasn't up to scratch with damp patch on the ceiling smelling a little musty overall, mouldy shower head and broken floor under the Lino in the bathroom. Bed itself was squeaky, lumpy and just a little worn out. The floors creak and complain whenever anyone moves around in the hallway or upstairs. All of the fixtures and furniture in the bedroom were old, creaky and worn.

As the room was at the back of the hotel, I didn't get much traffic noise, but colleagues were staying in another room which was on a higher floor and facing the other side and apparently very noisy.

Overall, I got the impression that the hotel would love to compete with the local Marriott or Hilton but is actually catering more to Premier Inn visitors, unsuccessfully in my opinion.

I don't think I will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Donaghadee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked the hotel quite a bit in advance and got a good deal- £75 for double room. Option at time of booking to get fully cooked breakfast for £3, would take this as to book at the hotel is min £8pp. The £75 was for a double deluxe room and I would recommend paying the extra £10 for much more space. Others in our party paid £65 for a standard room and did not have the table, room to move and extra chair we did. Rooms clean and bathrooms quite basic. Decent shower. Rooms got a little warm and views were non existent. Hotel is a great base for city break, less so if you want real luxury and intend to spend plenty of time in the hotel.