“Adequate hotel”

Ranked #58 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Oxford
“Adequate hotel”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

In a converted old building I actually walked past the building as it was poorly signposted - and it was raining hard so not good visibility anyway. An old building that has been converted into a hotel. My room was spacious and quiet despite overlooking the street. Had to climb up many stairs to get to it - no lift as in many other converted old buildings.Though I was given no information I did discover after a day or so that they do provide breakfast provided you give some sort ot advance notification and there was some sort of menu in the room indicating that one could order food somehow but no information provided on check-in. If you have been booked by your company they still expect you to pay with your own card unless you have something in writing to enable the card that booked you in to pay. Then they will give you the statement /receipt NOT in your name unless you request specially. (They added a pound to the bill - presumably for this as I was not told what it was for).
There is a TESCOs express a block away where I bought provisions as the room included a small fridge which was a welcome addition. Adjoining the room was a fold out settee bed also ready made up so my room may not have been typical. a most welcome bath in a modernly refurbished en suite bathroom was also a welcome change from the shower only option provided in some UK hotels. Despite a range of lighting through the room with a adjustment switch at the door I found the lighting not quite as bright and strong as I would prefer for reading and working. I had phoned ahead to check that the hotel had adequate wifi for work purposes but although they confiirmed upgraded, free wifi unfortunately it did not work for the two out of the three nights that I stayed there owing to some technical problems reported to their provider. They also do not given out any information on how to connect nor is it provided in any of their literature or handbook in the room. In conversation with a person I met through my work during this visit to Glasgow turns out he had the same experience at a Best Western hotel in Europe where he had checked that there was wifi but it did not work during his entire stay.. But there are tea-making facilities in the room and they are a hotel that still top up a small pack of biscuits each day of your stay. In terms of value I have paid less for better hotels in London and Europe that included breakfast. The desk staff included one very helpful young man otherwise it tended to be functionally adequate but no more.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Como, Italy
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Very good venue for a business trip. Rather close to the center (15 min walk) but also to the highway for a quick ride to the airport.
I got a huge room with big windows with view on Elmbank St.
Furniture was brand new and bathroom renovated.
The concierge managed to get a taxi in 3 minutes during peak hour.
The place was scarcely visible at night (don't look for bright and huge Best Western logos).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the second floor with view on Elmbank St. Excellent.
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This hotel has great location, decent size rooms and nice breakfast. Overall satisfied with my stay. Staff were friendly and helpful.
The only downside I can see could be the parking. You need to move your car before 8 AM or you'll need to fin a space on a pay and display car park. We'were leaving before 9 anyway so it didn't bother us.

Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel is very centrally located and hosted in an elegant building. The room was modern, well fitted and extremely spacious, with huge, bright windows facing the main road, though very quiet. Breakfast is served in the basement, the breakfast room having street-level windows, and is quite complete. I also tried the room service, a little long to wait, but nice. The staff was friendly and available.

Cheshire
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel is located minutes from Sauchiehall Street, so you haven't got far to travel back from the shops with all your bargins!
I was really surprised by the small room when I arrived, but as I was travelling on my own it was sufficient. The bathroom was extremely small. The room was nicely decorated, but It was a dark choice for such a small room. My only concern was that when I arrived the window was open and I had to stand on the bed to close it. The staff were pleasant. Breakfast was really good. Plenty of choice of food. I would stay here again. The addition of a fridge was great to chill my wine and water in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Hightae
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I booked this hotel on the day we travelled up to Glasgow and got it at an excellent price. As a last-minute bargain I wasn't expecting the best room in the place and so wasn't particularly bothered by the lack of a view and the extremely small bathroom. The ground floor bedroom itself was small but clean, well-maintained and comfortable, with a decent selection of TV channels and adequate storage and furniture. Although the room was very warm the windows opened fully onto a central courtyard/light-well and there was an efficient, quiet desk fan provided. Unlike another reviewer, I wasn't worried about the fact that one window didn't have a lock for 'secure' opening as I couldn't see any easy way for anyone to get in due to the enclosed nature of the space outside and the height of the window itself.

The hotel is located literally two minutes from Sauchiehall Street and almost all of Glasgow's main shopping areas, theatres, nightclubs and other attractions are within walking distance or a short taxi journey. There is also a multi-story car park very close by and the hotel will provide a voucher for a much-reduced rate. Our car was parked from Friday evening to Monday morning and it cost us less than £15. We didn't eat at the hotel as there were so many restaurants and other food outlets so close by, but the staff we had contact with were friendly and efficient.

I've stayed in everything from hostels to five-star hotels and, to be completely honest, it would have been nice to have had enough space to open the bathroom door fully (the towel rail prevented it from doing so), a decent glass instead of a plastic tumbler that was so thin that it split when I took it out of the packaging, and bath taps that were easier to reach (someone shorter than me would have had to get into the bath to reach past the glass shower screen). On the other hand, we spent a fair bit of time in the room due to atrociously wet weather and were quite comfortable. There was some noise from the corridor outside and from the nearby stairs but I expect that from an older building and it didn't disturb us. I'd definitely stay there again but would expect a better room if paying full price.

Room Tip: Book early for a bigger room, but if size and view are less important the late deals are excellent v...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Alberta
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I loved the location of this hotel. It was close to many pubs and restaurants and short cab rides from St. George Square (or about 15-20 min walk).
When we arrived, it was very early in the morning. We attempted to have expedia phone the hotel to arrange for an early check in. Understanding of course that they may not be able to accomodate. They did take our bags so we could tour around. However, we came back shortly after noon as we were too tired to continue walking around at this point. They had other rooms avaliable but they would not let us switch to a room that was already clean and ready, we had to keep the room we were assigned, even after having expedia call and us requesting.
The rooms were small but to be expected. It still had everything we needed. All in all it was a good hotel. The breakfast they serve was very good however, make sure if you book it's included with the room. They will charge you if not.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple