“Adequate for a short stay”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #89 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights with a group of friends. Service perfectly friendly with staff making themselves available to guests at all times. Lots of CCTV on every level which was a bit surprising but we never had any issues with rowdy or noisy guests. We had a room on the ground floor and one on the top. The rooms are basic but adequate. Towels, linen, furniture, fittings all showing signs of wear but all works and does the job. The top floor room where I slept was spacious but roasting hot. This wasn't the hotels fault and they had provided a free standing fan so guess they were aware of the temperature issue. No lift so beware as can be a climb to the top, especially with luggage. Room was clean though and the decor was dated but not shabby. Breakfast was ok, but clearly no focus on quality ingredients. Again perfectly adequate with friendly attentive staff. About a mile and a half from the city centre with a taxi costing £6 so super location without the noise of being right in the city centre. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank scotmccall

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Seriously, stay away. After being there for our then 2 hours we canceled our other nights, and the screwed us out of another 60 pounds t we canceled in time to get our full refund.

Also the toilet is barely large enough to fit a person, it doesn't even have a sink ( this is also the only toilet on the floor)

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel was in a great location- but then there's loads of hotels on the same street so that's not saying much.

We booked this hotel for one night and then decided we were staying in Glasgow for two nights but having read such bad reviews of Smiths hotel we booked a different hotel for a second night.

I think the stark difference between the two hotels may have made me judge Smiths a bit more harshly than I would have. It wasn't as dirty as the reviews we read made out- but there was hair all over our floor.

The free parking is not much of a selling point either as there's only 5 spaces which seemed to be filled by people/ friends of people who work there anyway. I only know this as someone blocked us in and when we asked what we should do the receptionist made a phone call and a woman who lived next door came and moved it for us.

I agree with another review that said the staff were not very friendly and welcoming- which was the exact opposite of everyone else we met in Glasgow so that was a shame!

I didn't like having to leave our hotel room key behind every time we went out- especially as ours didn't fit in the slot so we had to leave it lying on top of the box. My boyfriend was trying to fit it in the box for a good while before the receptionist turned to him and snapped- "that key doesn't fit in!"

I was OK with the shared bathroom as it wasn't busy when we went but I could imagine it would be a nightmare when the hotel was fully booked.

I could have skipped the breakfast included- there wasn't really much of a selection if you didn't like sausage, bacon, eggs.

I think the "cheapest in Glasgow" thing attracts people in but really Smiths Hotel is only slightly cheaper than other, much nicer hotels on the same street.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great for backpackers looking for private rooms.
Lovely breakfast included with friendly breakfast staff.
Lady at reception was not so friendly which is a shame as she is the first person you meet when coming into the hotel.
A little run down but excellent location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrystal62
Reviewed July 14, 2014

GOOD: great position, close to town and excellent local pubs and cafes
BAD: rooms small and dank and have few facilities, reception staff attitude is not a reflection of Glaswegian people in general (everyone else is amazing, some Smiths staff are modern-day Basil Fawltys), access from car park and in stairwells is VERY narrow
DETAIL: This hotel is VERY old and tired (and smells dank), has poor access from car park (ie not good for large or multiple bags). Wifi is patchy and probably relies on your room position... the best strength I got was in the car park! Free parking at back is great. Breakfast choice and serving staff fast and excellent (for price) - you get your breakfast with a smile within 3 minutes of ordering!. But... the reception staff are the rudest and most unhelpful I have EVER experienced! Sad, but true. Every question is an interruption dealt with in classic Basil Falwlty style... rude, sharp and blunt responses - you are made to feel like you are interrupting their day by asking anything! For example, I wanted to leave as I had a meeting to go to, and was parked in, the receptionist said word-for-word "Do you have to leave right now, as it's a bit early (8.30am) to get people to move their car"... (have some fun and say that in a Fawlty-style voice, and you'll get what I mean!)
Be aware - you have to take ALL your valuables with you every time you leave your room as you are required to hand in your keys every time you want to leave the hotel... work that major inconvenience out!
Rooms are small, there are NO spare electrical outlets (in my room), so I had to unplug the very small TV to use anything powered!
BOTTOM LINE: Stay somewhere else - there are plenty of others from which to choose! Overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: SIMPLE: Stay somewhere else! Seriously, I will never recommend or return to this hotel. Pay a bit ex...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Could do with updating but for the money it's well worth you even get a breakfast in with the price. There is also free parking at rear of the hotel, which is covered by CCTV. The rooms where clean n the staff where helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nick68_12
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Please note we didn't stay in the hotel as there was a mix up with bookings but when we arrived the receptionist was rude to say the least. We asked if we could leave our bags before check in as we were early, the lady honestly looked like she couldn't be bothered with us. When checking our booking she was very nasty in saying that we weren't on her list to be booked in. When we realised that there had been a mistake she had no sympathy as to our mistake, anyone would of joked about it! Don't get me wrong the hotel looked lovely from the from door and the reception was clean and tidy but first impressions count and after that experience we wont be booking in that particular hotel because of that.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends