“Clean sheets but run down hotel”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #89 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
“Clean sheets but run down hotel”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed at the smiths hotel for one night, it's a far cry from mr & mrs smith hotels. The rooms are clean enough but its run down and in need of modernising, there was a hair dyer in the room but when I came to use it no air came from it and it glowed bright red, if I had left my finger on the button there's no doubt it would have set on fire, the shower was weak, let's just say I won't be staying there again anytime soon.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Checked into this place for the first and last time! unfriendly reception staff, no toilet or shower facilities in the rooms, had to share toilets and showers with several other rooms/guests, stale smell throughout the building and very poor room furnishings, 3 of us felt ill after eating breakfast ! I don't normally down rate in my reviews but this was really bad and I wouldnt recommend to anyone to stay here. Prices were also pretty steep for what you got !
Give it a big miss !

Room Tip: Pick another hotel !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert W

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is the worst hotel ive ever
Stayed in in my life for the following reasons!
Mouldy bread for breakfast toast with the explanation being "Well its kept in the freezer"
Tiny room like the set of trainspotting.
Very few english speaking staff
Cleaner having a stereo on her trolley at 7am
Unclean sheets pillows causing itching and bites.
Price increase of £80 to £150 without notice!
Do not stay in this hotel!! Its rank

• Stayed September 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was travelling to Glasgow mid August with a friend. I noticed on booking.com (phone app) that there was a double room available for £150. Instead of booking on my phone I rang up, as I knew it would be quicker on the phone and that Glasgow was busy. The room was £150 on booking.com (which is a rip-off considering that the regular price is £80, but the world Piping championship was on). I rang up and was told that the price was £180. I said to the lady on the phone that I would just do it through booking.com and save myself £30, she asked me to stay on the phone while she checked the price on booking.com herself. At this stage I double checked booking.com myself as well - still £150. The woman came back on the phone and said that booking.com was £180. I told her I refreshed the page a few seconds previous and it was still £150. I then said goodbye and returned to booking.com to complete the transaction - NO VACANCIES! She had removed he listing from her end. I searched again within minutes and a brand new listing was available - at £180. I then rang back to complain and she told me I could have it for £170. Usually I wouldn't have given them the business after having been treated so poorly by staff, but I had very little choice. The hotel itself was small, dirty and damp. The had filled HP and Heinz Ketchup bottles with cheap vinegary substitutes and the staff had trouble communicating in English. Extremely unhappy with my time here and wouldn't even recommend it to the homeless if it was free of charge.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DarrenOD
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a last minute booking and the only place with any availability on a Saturday. Here's why:
Dirty carpets, chipped and stained furniture, lumpy mattress, sharing 1 toilet with who knows how many other people, so much redundant furniture in the room you couldn't swing a cat, smell of stale cigarette smoke, noisy people and cars all through the night.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here i recommend one with an en suite and on the back of the hotel away from the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Burnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Good budget Hotel for a short duration, with nearby amenities and shops.
The hotel is close to Glasgow art and History Museum and 15-20 minutes from the main bus station and town centre.
There is a direct bus route from the Airport (500) and takes about 30-40 minutes and cost about £5.20 for an adult with a child .
The Hotel is fairly clean but need serious attention and maintenance to the old decor.
The shower room has been updated in the double+single bed size.
The electric shower had issues but was fixed as soon as reception was made aware of. Adequate flat screen TV. The sheets were clean and the bed was acceptable.
Bring your own hair dryer and shampoo.
The staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms, facing the back with on suite bathroom for good value for money. Bring your own...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wokingham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having stayed here on two previous years, as a budget, family-run hotel in which fixing an issue was never a problem, and the owner bent over backwards to help us, I didn't think that staying here again would be a problem.

Wrong. This hotel has seriously gone downhill.

There are no toiletries in the bathrooms as promised on their website, aside from handsoap (which is not "toiletries", Smith hotel). The mattress was *very* uncomfortable and the sheets didn't fit at all. There was a hole in the side of the mattress through which I could see and feel the springs. The bed was not made-up as part of room service. The Kettle and hairdrier were plugged in to the same socket!! Out of the back of the hotel has become a rubbish tip for old mattresses and cardboard boxes. One person was blocked in in the car park when he wanted to leave, and was told that the owner was "in a meeting" and wouldn't be moving her car. One of our party checked-out as soon as he checked in because of the poor quality of the accommodation offered, yet they tried to charge us for his room for all nights, not just the first. When we complained that some rooms did not have working showers, as per the rooms we paid for, we were told we should have given them 24 hours notice of a cancellation (even when the room isn't what you've already agreed to pay for, and you can't know this until you enter the room, and there is no other alternative accommodation available in Glasgow). When we spoke to the manager about the difference between what we had been given and what we had said we would paid for, he swore at us and was aggressive. We were also told that the hotel was fully booked and they couldn't swap rooms - yet Expedia had rooms available for £40.

This hotel's new owners don't care about customer service or visitor comfort. We will be coming to Glasgow again, but NEVER staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business