“Good location, basic amenities”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #91 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good location, basic amenities”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was the closest to the SECC that we could afford. We found the reception very helpful and friendly and found the 24 hour manning of the reception to be reassuring. The room that we got was a decent size, big enough to hold a double bed and some furniture without feeling cramped. We did find it difficult to get a good night's sleep on both nights that we were there as our room was located near the entrance to the floor. The walls were also very thin and we kept being awakened by people walking outside our door, by the shower running in the adjacent room, and of course the doors being banged shut. I had a good sized friend breakfast but my husband found the porridge quite disappointing. I would recommend it only if cheaper options were not available in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have stayed at this place a few times, and am quite surprised at the high volume of poor/terrible reviews it has. It is somewhat rough round the edges, and from outside in particular, it looks a tad run down, but the rooms I stayed in were pleasant, cozy and quite characterful... perhaps I got lucky, there are quite a lot of rooms so they may vary in quality, I'm not sure.

There are certainly some good points to the place. The receptionist has always been friendly and helpful whenever I've stayed, and remembered me from previous visits and engaged in pleasant conversation on a number of occasions. I've never had any trouble with the ensuite facilities. One time I stayed during a severe cold spell, and a portable heater was provided for the room, which I considered thoughtful.

One thing that has to be noted is that the hotel is on a main road, and particularly during the weekend, the noise levels can be horrendous if you're at the front, particularly on the lower floors. I wear earplugs when I sleep but my nights were still often horribly disturbed on a recurring basis by annoyingly loud yells/screams of drunk people on their way home. Light sleepers are likely to want somewhere quieter.

I haven't returned to this hotel for a while now, but I wouldn't rule out a return in the right circumstances. I would conclude by saying it's hardly a luxury experience, but for the price and location it really isn't so bad.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cedar Hill, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is what happens when you ask your partner what do you think about this place and he books it before you read the reviews. We booked this since we were just going to stay one day and it was near the area we wanted. Prior to arrival we were told checking was at 10a when I got there was told it was at 11a so had to wait in very small lobby while they got room ready. The bathroom was shared which is something I will never do again. The room was very small, the sheets and bedding was clean. The carpet was dirty as if it had never been vacuumed before. We had to open the window because it was very hot. The bathroom was clean but during our stay we had a lot of banding outside our door from them fixing something in the bathroom. The staff was nice. We didn't try the breakfast. The free wifi connection was the best part of this stay. We didn't try the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

An old and slightly quirky building which adds to its charm, the staff are very friendly and look after your needs well, clean comfortable rooms albeit they could do with a face lift.

For the price this is an excellent hotel, 100 yards from city bus stop and sightseeing bus tours. Excellent breakfast and plenty of it. It does not have a restaurant however there is a huge selection of reasonably priced eating places within a ten minute walk catering for every need including Asian, Italian, Chinese,Mexican, British and others (I did not have time to try them all)

Room Tip: There is no lift and the stairs are steep and numerous thus if you have mobility or fitness issues r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
glasgow
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It's true it's a budget hotel so I didn't expect anything special. But our room wasn't clean at all. There were awful marks on the wall from blood or something. The breakfast wasn't nice...the cheapest and disgusting sausages I have ever ate. I forgot to mention the double bed - so small and uncomfortable. My advice - pay extra 10 pounds for the Devoncove hotel which is detached to this one and enjoy your time there. Not enough space for all the cars. I'll never be back! And please teach the waitress how to smile!

Room Tip: Don't go to this nightmare!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lady7000
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed in this little hotel for one evening in November 2012/ The rooms were cheap (I payed £35 for a single en suite) but pretty basic. The carpet in my room had a random wet patch and a burn mark from an iron! The bed was comfy though and the pillows and blankets plentiful There was a small TV with freeview, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. The shower was strong and hot though only handsoap was provided. The rooms are small but adequate but the staff are friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was fine, not outstanding but plentiful. I would recommend this hotel if you only need somewhere to lay your head for one or two nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on Sauchihall Street at the traffic noise was very loud
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MaxHannan
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here after a gig, was a decent walk to the centre, and staff were pleasant. Other than that it was awful! We found mould in the showers, and around the taps in our bedroom. The Duvet was very thin, and being December and having NO double glazing, It was cold during the night. We were on the 3rd floor in a 'box' room and our window opened fully (push up window) which we seen as a health and safety issue (not recommended for families with adventurous children). Was not worth the money we paid.... Last but not least the 'Heinz' tomato sauce was cheap chippy sauce, although there was a decent menu for breakfast! We're not happy, but at the end of the day it was a room for the night...

Room Tip: rooms on 3rd floor were tiny...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple