“Disgracefull, Filthy more like a Hostel and a hotel.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #92 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Bowmore, United Kingdom
“Disgracefull, Filthy more like a Hostel and a hotel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I suppose everyone has different experiences but for me this was more of a hostel than a hotel it was very cheap and tacky. I called up a month in advanced asked for a ground floor twin room as a disabled elderly woman is not fit enough to climb the staires, we arrived and got a upstairs room no disabled access and dinning room was downstairs was narrow stairs.We got a room change to downstairs which was fine, They said the room was ready. There was white powder on the floor, Pee and stuffed toilet roll in the toilet, A cigerette stub in the sink and the windows wouldnt close, I had to get the receptionist to help me with those and when he closed them they opened again and the electric fire didnt work much either so the room was freezing, I felt sick and disgusted and did not even want to sleep in the beds, but with my grandmother there I had no choice. Had breakfast in the morning, we sat at a table no milk so I took a jug from another table, Also there was only one spoon at a two person table which was dirty but my grandmother, she loved it as she has stayed there a couple of times before but mentioned it had changed over the years but I dont care, Its a disgusting hotel. Over all they charged £60 for it which was very expensive for the catering we recieved.

Room Tip: Its noisey, No disabled access, windows dont close and the cleanliness is not very good. Avoid this...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wynterz_xD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lymington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Myself and my partner were looking for something affordable in Glasgow before we set off for Oban and Mull, and we had no complaints here. Sure, its not luxury, but it was what we wanted. The heating wasn't in when we first arrived so we mentioned at as we left to get something to eat and it was all working and nice and warm when we got back. Polite and friendly staff and even though we paid for shared bathroom facilities we were given en-suite at no extra cost! Can't say fairer than that!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Broughton Astley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Situated at the far end of Glasgow's famous Sauchiehall Street, this hotel is within reasonable walking distance of shops and art galleries. Parking is off street round the back of the hotel in what can best be described as an alley, necessitating access through the back door. Rooms are clean and compact. Access to the higher floors would not suit older guests as the stairs are steep. Breakfast was adequate if unspectacular. In short, a reasonable hotel for the price but give it a miss if you are looking for higher standards.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor unless you are fit.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ken L
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I come from Glasgow and had passed this hotel on numerous occasions but had never stayed in or even crossed the door, so when I moved away from Glasgow and was going back I searched for a hotel in the Sauchiehall St. One of my first hits was Smith's and when I read the reviews I was a bit surprised - so this is my take on it.

Price wise its great and although the exterior could do with a lick of paint my room was fine, clean, twin beds, shower room and TV - all in working order. My room was on the first floor and facing the rear. The breakfast served downstairs was superb typical big Scottish Fry up but you could have other stuff. Location wise its quite superb, handy for the fantastic west end of Glasgow and close to the main exhibition and conference centres, museums and indoor sport centres - a shortish straight walk bang in to centre of town as well.

My conclusion I have stayed in hundreds of places that are better, but also a lot more expensive. I have stayied in many places that are worse than Smiths's but also a lot more expensive.

I am not racist and have no problems with people of different nationalities or customs but maybe Smith's should review what ever their policy is of certain people being allowed to gather at reception front door area at night - that may give some people an excuse to say things - in my case it didnt but I would be lying if I said I did not see it.

So if you are looking for somewhere that you just want to get your head down and get out in Glasgow to enjoy yourself then this is your place - you can use the money you save by staying here to go out and enjoy the surrounding area.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleep ask for a room that is t the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night for a night out in Glasgow. First impressions of the outside was that it wasn't great and needed a coat of paint and reading reviews I was a bit scared of entering however when I got into the hotel I as presently surprised. The reception guy was nice and fairly helpful.

The room itself was better than I expected. I only had a couple of quibbles, the room was quite small but done us for the one night, the showerhead was quite dirty and we didn't have any view at all out of our window. Apart from that the room was clean and well kept.

The breakfast in the morning was very tasty and the lady who served it was very nice.

You get what you pay for and I was pleasently surprised and I would recommend this hotel for anyone to stay in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jac_killie1981
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

Like:

I like how the website pictures raises your expectations but what you actually get is severe disappointment.
I also like how there is absolutely no security for your valuables apart from the lock on your hotel room door, and the keys are left with the concierge when you are away from the hotel. Gives you the complete peace of mind that your valuables can be ransacked at any given time if you're not in the room.
Staff were polite (actually were).
I also like how I specifically asked for 2 double beds as it was for 2 couples, and instead got 1 double bed and 2 singles!
NOTE: Sarcasm was heavily used.

Dislike:
The breakfast - complete lack of choice and variation, and only one portion. A VERY small portion. When asked for more, was given a very rude rejection.
Uncomfortable beds - friends felt like they slept on a rack of ribs.
Some lights and fittings do not work. Bathroom door did not shut properly.
Window view was very unattractive.
Dining area was very cold, when asked for heating they said they didn't have any.
Security - did not feel safe with valuables in room when away.
Decor of hotel was very dated, and looked second hand.

Not recommended at all, unless you're on a seriously tight budget. In which case, go for Etap or a hostel.

21, student, Glasgow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mack T

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Port Charlotte, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed in this hotel with my family with two kids, the room was in the last floor which was basically a loft. It was spacious but had no view as the wiindow was attached to the roof, bathroom had a broken dust bin, shower had moulds, no water pressure was spraying in different directions. The television had no signal at all and the staircase was very narrow even to carry our luggages. Next day we complained to the receptionist, who never apologized, i got a impression that they were aware of all these and not bothered just wanted to make money. We had to shift ground floor, where again in the room wraft was coming through the window, the potty was rocking, not a single day the room was hovered, found half a packet cigarette, third hand quilt, under bed was dirty, extension cord lying, very noisy when someone climbs up the staircase, breakfast waitress was very rude and the receptionist didn't know how to handle situation. There was parking problem everyday. I never recommend this hotel to anybody,....should check the review first,,,,which i didn't. wish i had taken pictures of the room....

Room Tip: first check the hotel review
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family