“Absolute shambles” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alison Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glasgow
Alison Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Absolute shambles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked a room via email at this guest house for a friend and me for an overnight stay when we were visiting Glasgow for the Bruce Springsteen concert, I also confirmed the booking with a telephone call. When we arrived we were greeted by a very unpleasant man who I assume was Kenny who informed us that there were no rooms available, no apologies were offered. After telling him my name he informed me that my name was in the book with a cross through it again with no explaination why or an apology for the mix up. Due to the concert this was the only available accomodation that i could find on the internet in the Glasgow area for that night and now I know why. Luckily we found somewhere nearby that had had a late cancelation otherwise it would have resulted in an uncomfortable night in the car.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Armstrong77
kenneth b, Owner at Alison Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
in response to this review . the people where initially booked via internet but with an oversight as we were fully booked the response re this booking was sent by return mail . but people obviously did not take note of same . and unfortunately on this day my mum had a heart attack and i was at the hospital in Kilmarnock . they had not noted they did not actually have a booking . they where accomodated by our fiends accross the road .fortunately

these things sadly do happen .

regards ann and kenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was very impressed by the warmth and kindness of kenny and his wife. they made me feel welcome and could not do enough to help me. I really apreciate thier hospitality and i would definately recommend the guest house as a place like home from home.
The room was lovely and clean and the bed was very comfortable.
I will look forward to staying there in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank eileen521
kenneth b, Owner at Alison Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
Thank you it was a pleasure having you stay with us stay well and happy

regards ann and kenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Back for my second stay here whilst working in the city. My first stay was for 8 weeks and i enjoyed it. Kenny and Anne are great hosts and always make you feel welcome. The rooms maybe a bit dated but they are clean and comfortable. The location is good for the city.

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank harty74
kenneth b, Owner at Alison Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
so sorry we did not live up to your expectations , we are a friendly small clean central guesthouse . always ready to assist in your goals . and look after your needs .

sorry we did not meet you great high standards
england uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed at this guest house and thought it was the perfect place to stay as it was walking distance into Glasgow City centre the owners were verry welcoming. I would recomend to all friends and family!! Excellent value for money and rooms are very spacious. Thank you very much for our stay and making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank seanEnglandUk
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

My companion and I felt so happy with Alison Guesthouse that we extended our stay from a planned 3 nights to 5. Of course the main bonus is the hosts' kindness and helpfulness. But we had soap and clean towels, maybe not new but not threadbare, and sheets on our bed. And every time we thought something was amiss (like the down comforter was too warm for the season) we said so and the problem was corrected. So by all means I recommend this guest house. It is a bit far from the historic center if you're not driving, but we finally mastered tje Glasgow bus system and you can get there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mafalda01
Chicago,Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

Our group of eight were impressed by what we read on their website. This was our first trip to Scotland and all we had to go on was what we read. The places we stayed at in Pitlochry and Edinburgh were wonderful! Unfortunately, we were rather disappointed with Allison Guest House. The building was described as one of the finest in the area--it left a lot to be desired. There was no public room where our group could meet. We were told before hand via email that all amenities were available. However, we found out there was only one hairdryer to be had! Never saw an iron. There were no sheets on our bed- just a dust ruffle and a comforter. There was no soap, or bath mats and the towels were old, threadbare and really needed to be replaced. The owners did not tell us they were leaving on holiday before we arrived. They left a friend in charge who really did not know the area. She did a nice job of preparing breakfast for us but wasn't able to help us with any of our questions. The website boasts about plenty of parking- it was hard to find spots. The backyard patio was not available and was small and not attractive. The terms they used to describe their facility--superb, finest, elegant, etc really should not have been used. They wrote of an uncompromising level of service-- I am afraid it left much to be desired.
I would not return to this establishment.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many things to list
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank set2go52