“Not Des Res surrounds, but good inside”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oscars

Oscars
Ranked #339 of 2,389 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not Des Res surrounds, but good inside”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Driving past the front, this looked lit up quite nice, but the lane around to the rear car park had some local teenagers hanging about and made us uncomfortable, followed by the descent to a dimly lit car park with no visible markings made it seem that cars were randomly abandoned.
Finding the restuarant lit from the far rear, we entered the basement to a welcoming smell of Italian cooking looking like a bistro and wondered if there were an upstairs.
We had made a late reservation through one of the late deal-opportunities and were shown to our table and presented with the A la Carte menu by a waiter. We were then greeted by the friendly waitress who had to change the selection to teh pre-theatre selection with a much limited choice but professionally covered the menu and options. The chilled house white by the glass was pleasant, but the house red (Merlot) was not the best I have tasted, in fact it felt a poor quality for a red wine and the second worst that I have tasted.
After a brief wait, we were offered complimentary bread that was very fresh, one slice of brown for my wife and two slices of white for myself that was immediately followed by the starters. The bread was excellent with my Minestrone, but my wife had pate that came with two crackers and two slices of garlic bread that she was unable to finish, so the brown bread was not required.
Mains were stuffed chicken breast and selection of vegetables and lasagne for my wife that was also accompanied with salad and another two slices of garlic bread!
Tiramisu and Ameretto cake for deserts completed the 3 courses for under £17 deal that was very filling and good price but of very average quality.
The waitress particularly seemed to know everyone who came in and this place seemed to cater for locals, but the temperature was a bit warm, partially due to the kitchens on the same level and the candles on every table.
Later inspection to find out what was upstairs revealed the front facing door and the toilets, but the inside of the property seemed tired and worn and could do with a makeover.
Overall, I would say this is a good quality Bistro for locals and a poor quality restuarant for visitors, I would not rush back.

• Visited September 2013

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Best little restaurant”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Don't be put up by the outside industrial unit look, this place was a little bit of food paradise. We called after finding it on our satnav and then by googling what were excellent reviews. My wife an I don't normally wait for a table, but after taking an initial look something told us that it was worth the wait. The atmosphere the staff and the food were to die for, by far one of the best restaurant experiences my wife and I had. It is now on our Scotland tour anytime we come over.

• Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Lasagne in ages!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to Oscars for lunch today and all three of us really enjoyed the food and were discussing when we would return before we had even left!!

I had the lasagne which comes with garlic bread and salad and like my title says it was the best lasagne I've had in a long time.

Staff were friendly and helpful too.

• Visited August 2013
“Same high standard and friendliness.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We live not far away and can walk here and given its consistently high standards could be considered a regular. We went as a group of friends and family recently, there must have been about 14 of us, some from Kansas on a visit and the evening went particularly well. Everything well cooked, service as you would wish it to be and lovely wines. Well worth a visit if you want a pleasant evening with really good food and wines.

Visited July 2013
Glasgow
“Really good”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went last night to start we had prawn pil pil and bruschetta both were very good to follow I had fillet steak Rossini a fillet steak on gravy with pâté on top served with chips everything about it was excellent the steak was massive and cooked to perfection the other main was off the specials board fritto misto seafood in batter served on salad also very good, deserts were tiramisu and ice cream also good.the staff are also great karen the waitress was brilliant(good at gettin the peroni) will defiantly be back soon and will be recommending to everyone.

• Visited July 2013