“staff nice, poor quality food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mr Singhs at the Castle
Ranked #1,033 of 2,429 Restaurants in Glasgow
Ireland
“staff nice, poor quality food”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Went here on a voucher deal with friends. It was tea/coffee and bacon roll on arrival, 50 balls on the driving range, 9 holes on course, soup and sandwich lunch then another 9 holes. The bacon roll was actually a roll with square sausage - not negotiable. The tea bags were, I suspect, the cheapest ones available to buy in the area. Not nice. Soup and sandwich appear to have been made with the cheapest ingredients also. I had tuna (hardly any of it) spread on cheap, thin, white bread. I think it must be from something like an Asda smartprice loaf.

I have played golf here before and quite like the course - its not that challenging but then I'm not that good. I have also had coffee or a drink in Mr Singh's afterwards. On one accession I had pakora too but it wasn't good - I just thought I was unlucky that day. I find the place nice, with the staff very friendly but I would avoid the food in future. Golf, coffee and drinks are ok though.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank eccobeach

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“amazing”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

they all know me and it is a great place the food is great but the prices for drinks could be lower but afart from that all great !

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Lucia Z
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Play golf here by all means - but you couldn't pay me to eat their food”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Was at Mearns Castle yesterday through a GroupOn coupon which offered 50 balls on the range, short game practice, a round of golf and a meal afterwards in the bar.

The golfing experience was great: Great short game area, and a gentle little 9-hole golf course with a a few challenging holes. But hey I'm not here to review the golf...

Had two pakoras to start and some poppadums. The pakora was fine if slightly 'industrial'. Probably not bought in, but easily could have been. We were told that the chef suggested we 'were careful with the pakora sauce in case it was hot' Apparently it usually had some cream in it but today it didn't!?! Bit strange. The sauce was hot, but not overpoweringly so.

Two of the main courses were appalling. My dish, the ambala, was the best though it took some searching through the sauce to find the lamb. The malaidar, desribed a being served in a 'puree of spinach with ginger, fresh chilli and cream' was disgusting. Slimy spinach (and lots of it), no sign of cream and cretainly no fresh chilli. The cream that was missing from the pakora sauce similarly failed to show up in the malaidar. The south indian chicken tikka was simply appaling. A few flecks of chicken tikka lurked in a suace that looked suspiciously like the pakora sauce, but with the 'benefit' of added vinegar.

Utterly appaling. We'll be back for the golf - but you couldn't pay me to eat their food.

2 Thank dirtyorigamist
Glasgow
“Decent golf - avoid the food”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Have played golf here before, decent pay as you play course. This time, three of us were there on a Groupon deal - £19 for coffee and bacon roll, 9 holes of golf and then any main meal in the clubhouse afterwards - sounded like a pretty good deal.

That's until the main courses arrived! All three of us had curry, and i'd say only one out of the three curries was (barely) passable but the other two were diabolical.

I ordered a Lamb Maladair - a spinach based Lamb curry - it was rotten, so thick you could stand a spoon up in it, tasted off, and had a grand total of three small pieces of lamb in it. The Garlic Chilli Chicken wasn't much better - full of vinegar (!), and again about three small pieces of chicken in it.

Can't understand it really - Mr Singh's in town is meant to be really good (my fellow players have been several times), but obviously the same standards do not apply here. It's a shame, because the staff are friendly enough, and try hard, the golf is not bad, but avoid the food. Unfortunately, I have to say that this is by some distance the poorest curry i have ever eaten.

2 Thank LucaBrazzi