“BETTER THAN IN SPAIN!”

Ranked #33 of 2,507 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: We are close to Shield Road Underground station and Bus services run to/from City Centre to Pollokshaws Road and Pollokshields East Train Station.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant three times in recent months and can honestly say that the food and service keep getting better and better.

A Spanish friend told me that the food is authentic but in my opinion it is better than you will get many times in Spain because each order is made fresh rather than lying in a heated display. The front of house manager is the joint owner Cristobal and as many have commented he goes out of his way to make all customers feel at home. The other joint owner the chef, Guillermo, told me that 80% of the ingredients are flown in from Spain, through an importer in England.

Quality however, does come at a cost and the tapas are priced from £3.95 to £5.95, most are either £4.75 or £5.75. So if two people eat say 3 tapas each sharing, the cost will be around £30 excluding any drinks. A complete meal with the “to die for” Crème Catalana worth every penny of the £4.25, with wine and coffee will set you back about £60 - £70. That said, they do run lunch and pre-theatre specials effectively 3 for 1 and 3 for 2 respectively which does make it much more affordable. I took my aunt and wife there for lunch and the bill with soft drinks was a very reasonable £33 including a selection of 9 tapas. On that basis dinner would be about £50 - £60.

However, I do think that they need to take a look at the wine list which has too many higher priced reservas and crianzas, which are not what you would tend to drink with tapas in Spain and really more suited to a steak dinner than tapas. Also a bottle for exactly the same price as 3 large glasses of wine does not encourage one to buy a bottle!

On the whole an excellent little restaurant well worth seeking out; in my case ideally placed for an early dinner en route from Ibrox Stadium to a show in town!

If they sort out the wine list, I'll give it 5 stars next time.

2  Thank ashuk

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We ordered 10 tapas between 2 to graze over. We had booked a 5pm.co.uk deal but I think the £2.75 offer runs sun-thurs early evening anyway. It was so delicious! Favourites were the calamari and the little simple salads. The service was impeccable, so polite and helpful. There were a few couples, one group and two families in whilst we visited so its great for all sorts of occasions. We also had a drink each, coffee and dessert. It was just over £40! A bargain! You probably won't stumble across this place but its totally worth seeking out and puts Glasgow's chain tapas restaurants to shame.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The manager here is ex Battlefield Rest, and he recognised us right away and provided up with great service, which included a table change (something my wife does with amazing regularity!).
The food was superb, although the portions were a bit on the small side, but then again I am a greedy person....when the food is this good! Drinks a bit pricy, but the house wine was perfectly acceptable to compliment the food. The prawns in batter, the Rosada, were simply divine. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Every tapas was £2.75 and all were excellent. It was empty the night we went (a Tuesday) which meant there was no atmosphere but the meal was not spoiled by this. Excellent service, great food and great midweek prices. A gem of a place!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I came here for my birthday with my partner and I have to say I really enjoyed my visit.

Staff were very friendly and we were served our drinks quickly. We then ordered a number of tapas selections and the food arrived quickly- plate by plate. The complimentary appetisers were a nice touch. Everything was super tasty, though one pork dish was ever so slightly over done, it was eclipsed by all the other dishes being really, really tasty!

I was would definitely recommend the tapas sized chicken paella, and the "pan garum"- both of which were brilliant (after trying theses we ordered second helpings!). The crème brulle desert was alos very nice, fired in front of us. A complimentary shot of something (dare I say apple sourz?!) was another nice touch at the end.

I am glad that we found this little gem of a place! Even more pleased when we found the bill came to only £50! A bargain for such a tasty feast! If you are in Glasgow you MUST give this authentic little place a visit! It's a new favourite for me and I wish we had found it sooner!