“There are better places than this to dine”
Review of The Osprey - CLOSED

The Osprey
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Osprey in Newton Mearns is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I gave the Osprey one final chance about a year ago, having given it up some years earlier. Well, despite the passage of years the Osprey had not changed, other than that it had become even more scruffy than we could remember.

We accepted that you pay for food at the bar before receiving it, and that you place a wooden spoon on your table so that the server can find you, but the food had the feel of part cooked meals which are either microwaved or part fried to finish the cooking.

Although the interior is intended to mirror the theme of it's former life as a farm building, it is quite frankly scruffy and dirty, and in need of a deep clean and a coat of fresh decor.

1  Thank Tabby2011

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have been visiting The Osprey since it opened and have found that it has gone downhill, very disappointed with the service overall and overpriced for the portion sizes, I come from the area, however live in Leeds and I am a frequent customer to The New Inn at Scarcroft where to staff and service have been first class.

1  Thank lynn u
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went last Wednesday when their specials are assorted pies. Seemed good value for money and well served. Our party had the fish and chips and the fillets were large. I had a steak which was nice but I would have preferred it medium as I ordered rather than the medium rare they served. Made do as I didn't have time to wait for them to correct the order. Pleasant staff and quick service even though they were quite busy

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been going to this place since it opened and despite 2 refurbishments it has gradually gone down hill. It has so much potential and is in need of a real good manager that can resurrect this place. It is always cold inside, there are 2 open fires but they are not often tended and one of them is usually not on, other than that the heating is non existent. The door is wedged open, apparently this a Vintage Inn standard rule but all that happens is an icy wind blows in, but the staff are not allowed to close the door !!!! Don't expect a Sunday roast if it's after 6pm as they normally run out of them. The food is pre prepared average bar food served by unfriendly staff. The menu is uninspiring. Many local people feel the same way, this place really needs a good, strong, hands on management team

2  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The food is usually pretty good and I find the staff pleasant. The restaurant/pub is quite cosy if you avoid the main first room and go to one of the other little offshoots.