“The Red Beard has done it again”

Barbarossa Restaurant Pizzeria
Ranked #144 of 2,568 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Getting to Barbarossa couldn’t be easier. Located within 2 minutes walk of Cathcart station, which itself is only a short journey from Glasgow Central station.
Description: Doors first opened in 2001, offering Glasgow's southside a high quality dining experience. With an extensive wine selection and a contemporary Scottish-Italian kitchen, there was enough to ensure everybody's palate was catered for.In 2008, Barbarossa extended with the opening of the Wine Bar area. A casual dining area for guests to enjoy the Italian grill & spuntini kitchen, sample one of the massive choices of wine by the glass, enjoy an espresso or make use of the private wine room for that special occasion.In May 2013, the evolution of Barbarossa continued. Changing with public demand and peoples change of dining habits, the restaurant and wine bar menus were both amalgamated, giving guests "the best of both worlds". Added to this was the vital ingredient of a new pizza section, overseen by a new pizza chef, Enzo, who arrived direct from the South of Italy
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We visit this restaurant every so often and have always enjoyed the welcome, the atmosphere and the food. For years there were two parts, the upstairs and downstairs, a formal restuarant upstairs and an informal wine bar downstairs. There used to be two separate kitchens, chefs, staff etc, but over the last two years have merged these into one, closing the upstairs kitchen and enlarging the downstairs (probably in reverse order) so that the chef's quality and oversight can permeate both areas.
This used to have an effect on the prices as well, as the upstairs restuarant was more expensive, but the food was of good quality, and the wine bar menu favoured towards bar meals of burgers and fish & chips.
This merge has also had an effect on the menu, where there were different menus and specials, there is now one, with slightly larger choice and a variety to offer from fish & chips (still a favourite), through pizzas and Italian range of food to fine wines and steaks.
So tonight's visit was unplanned, just dropped in and Enzo found us a table for two and we arranged for a large glass of chilled Pinot Grigio and a draught Peroni beer to settle in.
For starters, Black Truffle and mushroom Ravioli looked and tasted as good as expected and my wife's toasted bread with oil & Balsamic was so large it was shared by both of us. It did require a complementary (but grudged) exchange of a little Ravioli to calm any grief.
The 'Surf and turf' for two was absolutely perfect, the bowl of chips to share and pepper sauce were excellent, but the 18oz steak was perfectly cooked, carved at the table onto two portions and served with succulent prawns on skewers for only £32. Where else could you get a lovely steak and Prawns main course for only £16 each?
The bill was around £50 for two well satisfied but hopefully discerning diners.
This restuarant is a favourite, you get a warm welcome from Enzo and you can eat as little or as much as you wish from a good range of choices to suit every budget. But that steak was beautiful and highly recommended. They use a farm at Girvan for their provisions of meat, who also supply some of the top restuarants in the west.

1  Thank David T
BarbarossaManager, Manager at Barbarossa Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear David T,

Thank you for your conclusive and extensive review of our place. We take pride in everything we do here, and having Enzo as the welcoming feature makes a great start to almost everybody's experience.
The dishes you mentioned are only a few of the favourites and specials we have on the menu every week. With the amalgamation of the two kitchens back in May 2013, we have received an abundance of positive feedback from our customers where they have a choice of what style of meal they wish to go for and where they can spend as little or as much as they like.

We hope to welcome you and your wife soon to try something new.

Francesco

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I arrived, for the first time, at Barbarossa tonight with out two children in tow. We had no reservation or prior booking, we just happened to pass by and decided to give the place a go after hear good reviews from friends. We were dressed extremely casually and I was slightly worried that we would stand out or not be welcomed wheheartedly. I couldn't be more wrong!! As soon as we stepped through the door we were greeted instantly from a friendly member of staff. We were quickly seated and my children were made to feel extremely welcome. Such a great start after being dissapointed by so many other 'family friendly' establishments. We were quickly given menus and drinks and I was delighted to hear the staff actually acknowledge my children as diners. The food we ordered was absolutely spot on, and my only complaint would be that I couldn't decide what to order from the menu. I have scoured the Southside for a place like this and I'm glad we have found it. We will definitely return, well done to you all for showing passion in what you do.

1  Thank Anniemags1

Dear Anniemags1,

Thank you for your positive review of Barbarossa and apologies it has taken so long to respond. We are a family run and family friendly place which is why we feel children are as much a part of the dining experience as the adults.
Our passion is in making sure that every table leaves with a happy and memorable experience which you have kindly reviewed.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family again soon.

Francesco

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had been to this restaurant two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, my husband enjoyed his lasagne so much we thought we would visit again...has it changed hands??? The place still looks great, good ambience and busy, but the menu looked poor, it was a big menu before, this was a piece of flimsy paper that looked like a bar menu. I ordered the olive and bread starter but my bread arrived toasted and the olives were tasteless. My main course, a steak was a complete end full of fat and sinews, tough to cut. We complained as did other people re the steak,,they apologised and we ordered a sweet and coffee. The cheesecake was not the best I have ever had and my husband's lasagne was terrible compared to before, it was just splatted on the plate...we were not charged for the steak, however I feel we should have been compensated more, because I came home from there one hungry woman. The air conditioning in the restaurant made me feel cold and uncomfortable as it was not even a warm night outside, sorry guys, we won't be back and neither will the couple next to us.

3  Thank susan f
BarbarossaManager, Manager at Barbarossa Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear susan f,

At Barbarossa, we fully accept both praise and constructive criticism equally. Whilst we accept it as being part and parcel of this and many other service industries we also acknowledge that it is a great learning mechanism However, negative reviews containing extreme words such as “rotten” in the title can have an extremely detrimental effect on an establishment such as ours. We certainly cannot afford to be giving items away for free unduly, or over-compensate guests who may or may not have had a problem, legitimate or not. In a time where such intense focus, scrutiny and attention is given to review media such as Trip Advisor, I feel it is only right to defend our reputation vehemently against what we perceive as unjust criticism. As such, I have responded below to each of your points individually.

1) The restaurant has not changed hands. It is still owned by the same family who opened it in 2001. Additionally, the head chef has been the same for over eight years.
2) We have recently undergone a refurbishment, so thank you for saying the place looks great.
3) In reference to it being “a big menu before”, I assume you refer to the actual physical size and not the number of dishes available, which I would have thought would be more important. We recently amalgamated the restaurant and wine bar menus to give guests a wider variety and choice of dishes. We felt printing it on one, large table-mat style page would make it easier for guests to view what is available and make a more informed choice. I apologise if you were let down by the quality of print material and we will be sure to consider a higher weight of material when we change the menu.
4) The bread dish you refer to has been served toasted on the wine bar menu for the last four years, with no adverse comment made. However, we will certainly consider adding the word “toasted” when we update the menu.
5) This is the first occasion where the olives have been described as “tasteless” although I appreciate everyone’s individual palate is different. If both this and the bread had been brought to our attention at the time, we certainly could have attended to it.
6) We fully accept that the steak which you were served was not to the high standards we pride ourselves on. This was also the case with the table of two which you were seated next to, who both had the sirloin themselves (although no other guest since or before reported any issue with the sirloins). Both myself and the head chef checked the 3 dishes upon their return to the kitchen and we agreed that although there was no problem with how they had been cooked, the cut of meat itself was tougher than it should be. This is a matter we have since dealt with in-house and on a supplier level. Once again I apologise that your sirloin was below the level of quality we and our customers expect (this is the fourth apology we have made to you about this, as on the evening in question your waiter, Sean, apologised, I myself said sorry and the other manager on duty, Francesco, apologised at the end of your meal when he brought the bill).
7) Similar to the olives/bread, it is difficult to comment on the quality of the cheesecake and lasagne as nothing was said to us at the time, or by anyone else who had it that night. Should it have been, we certainly again would have attended to it. I appreciate that some individuals are not comfortable offering criticism but that certainly doesn’t seem to be the case here.
8) You are correct in stating that you were not charged for your steak. Neither was the table of two I have referred to above. I do however take great umbrage with a couple of fairly glaring omissions you have made. Firstly, once it was made known of the problem with your steak, I myself offered you and the table next to you an alternative, replacement main course, an offer which was subsequently declined. I am sure this would have helped prevent you going home “one hungry woman”. Secondly, you feel you should have been compensated more, but for some strange reason you have neglected to mention the fact that in addition to not being charged for the steak, as a goodwill gesture, we did not charge you for your dessert or coffee. This is a gesture that, in light of a review like this, we shall not be in a hurry to make again. Other than giving you everything you had that evening for free, I am intrigued as to how we may have compensated you more?
9) The air conditioning was at the level it was that night as another table in the area you were seated told us it was too warm. If you had informed us you were cold, we could have attempted to find a happy medium and if one could not be found, move either table to a different area where everybody could be seated comfortably.
10) You have stated you will not return, which in spite of this response, I sincerely hope is not the case. However, should you feel a return visit would not meet your standards and expectations, that may well be for the best.
11) Finally, you have stated the couple sat next to you would not return either. On their departure that evening, they did state to Francesco that they would happily return again, despite the issues they had with their steaks. I would have to assume then that you have spoken to them since and they have changed their mind on a return visit.

In no way do we wish this response to be viewed as confrontational or unduly defensive, only as a means to put our side of the story across, which we feel is only fair.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Love this neighbourhood gem. Enzo and family have rung the changes here over the last few months, and it has worked. Beautiful interior and comfy seats, a dynamic new menu and a great atmosphere. To ensure that the new pizzas on the menu are as authentic as possible, Enzo brought a chef from his village in Italy to introduce them. That's attention to detail! Everyone here is passionate about making their guests feel looked after, which makes for a great night out. Strongly recommend.

BarbarossaManager, Manager at Barbarossa Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi RBeattie,

Thanks for such a glowing review and apologies it has taken so long to respond to you. It's great to hear that the recent changes we have made have gone down well and that regulars such as yourself have responded so favourably.

Thanks again and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Been meaning to visit this place for ages and finally made it in, definitely did not disappoint. We eat out a lot and find ourselves paying over the odds for mediocre food so often that it almost puts us off trying somewhere new but this place was great -menu had all the classics and a few twists, offered some excellent value set menus and a great selection on the a la carte. The interior is stylish and spacious, every single member of staff was polite friendly and attentive, most importantly the food was excellent. I had beef stroganoff made with fillet, it was clearly freshly made and I was given a very generous portion and it was soooooo delicious rich and subtly seasoned. You could probably pick up beef stroganoff in other places slightly cheaper, but i felt it was excellent value for the amount of delicious fillet beef that was provided rather than a cheaper cut, i think this was one of the more expensive items on the menu at £18, many options were much cheaper and various set menus are offered at excellent value so i wouldn't say its pricey despite the high quality food. My husband had a pasta dish, it think crab or lobster and he absolutely loved it, he only needed a starter portion for his main as the portions were very generous. Our baby had a lasagne and loved it too!! We will be back, there were so many things I wanted to try on the menu!!! it also strikes me as a great place to have functions as it has lots of little 'secluded' areas. yum yum yum.

BarbarossaManager, Manager at Barbarossa Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Jenpom,

Thanks for taking the time to post such a glowing review. Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your visit, particularly as it was your first visit to Barbarossa.

Top quality levels of food & drink, customer service, value for money and creating the right atmosphere is something we are always striving to achieve and improve on, and to hear we hit the target with you and your family is really pleasing to read. Great to hear you intend to return.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.