“Not as bad as I feared.”
Review of Amber - CLOSED

Amber
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My friend spoke highly of this restaurant, so I decided to ignore the poor reviews on TA. We were eating very early in the evening, so the service was fine, but I must say that, as we were leaving, the staff looked to be coping well with the busier restaurant.
I liked the starter of spicy chicken wrapped in lettuce ( you could have had pancakes ) but it was a wee bit pricey at £6.95. Salt and pepper chicken wings were fine. Our mains were as good as any other Chinese, but not remarkable.
I'd go back if I was in the area and fancied Chinese.

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed the food here. My family and I had a range of dishes which we all thoroughly enjoyed. The prawn crackers were fresh and tasted amazing. Food was reasonable timing. Drinks bit expensive. Service from a little Chinese women wasn't very good she was quite annoying. Overall food was really nice. I would go back.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

me and my wife arrived at 9pm.
There was a huge selection from the menu, and when we got the food, it was a lot that we could not finish it.
The quality is good for a Chinese restaurant, and we liked it.
Prince is quite expensive but not bad.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were tempted to go into this restaurant as although the menu was fairly bog-standard Chinese restaurant / noodle fare, the interior looked more restauranty & upmarket than a noodle bar - how I wish we hadn't bothered.

All the young staff (I am not sure how else to describe the different staff politely!), were friendly and polite but alarm bells should have rung when I ordered a glass of house white wine and as soon as it was brought to the table, I could tell by the colour that it was off. I sent it back, politely explaining why and there then followed a 10 minute gap before a replacement glass arrived, during which time the poor 'young' waiter had to explain to one the 2 'older' lady waitresses (who was clearly irritated at the returned glass of wine), why I had returned it. There wasn't much of an apology, and the second glass was as vile and off as the first but I could tell, the young waiter would only get another ear bashing if we complained so just left it.

I had tofu & vegetables in spicy chili & ginger sauce which was tofu & vegetables and half a bottle of Amoy's sweet chili sauce tipped over it - something I can make a lot better at home.

My husband had prawns in sate sauce, which despite turning up on a sizzling plate he said was bland and tasted of nothing.

We also ordered 2 portions of egg frice rice - it must have been the greyest, tiredest looking bowl of rice I have ever ordered in my life and the egg was clearly making a guest appearance as it was barely noticeable.

We were asked 3 times - twice in shrill tones by the 'older' waitresses if everything was alright - and we just nodded.

I didn't complain because it just wasn't worth it - I will never go back again.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

What an awful place. SERVICE - brisk, grim and not welcoming.

CHOICE: - looked fine as we weren't expecting some new angle on the traditional take, we just wanted a spot of lunch from the set menu.

DRINK: delivered quickly but EXPENSIVE!!!

FOOD: We opted to only have one course and man alive were we made to pay for that choice. The presentation was terrible! Other diners who had obviously chosen two courses were treated to: modern china (we had the old tattered looking dining plates)and a separate dish for rice (ours was all in squeezed into the one dish) . The taste....ugh. I am in no way being facetious but I have literally poured better tasting sauces out from stores own branded Chinese sauce jars than what was given to us. Watery, no substance and tasteless. The rice had an aftertaste of plastic (why????who knows I can only imagine unfortunately...)

My partners "crispy beef" was no more than thin, brown tinged batter with no evidence of there being actually beef contained therein. Honestly - no beef!!! My vegetable curry consisted of EXACTLY the same sauce as my partners even though we ordered different dishes. The vegetable selection started and stopped with green peppers, bamboo shots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts - none of which helped the watery sauce I can tell you.

The bill for this cr@p came to in the region of £16 - Needless to say we felt like we'd been assaulted. Would rather had been mugged - maybe then we wouldn't blame ourselves for actually walking into this place which was suspiciously empty for a Saturday afternoon, ordering their gruel and then having the worst dining experience in a LONG time then being made to hand over money for it.

Left as quickly as possible, with no tip.