“Best place to meet Glasgownians”
Review of Adelaides

Adelaides
Ranked #10 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Best place to meet Glasgownians”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I rang a day earlier to confirm because I was nervous. Nervous because I read about all the car parking issues in Glasgow. Had the pleasure of speaking with Ted and he explained all the options. So when I did get there, free parking spot - score! :D (due to the time)
Ted is super friendly and it was day 6 of my solo Scotland trip. So it was wonderful to speak to someone who really could help and guide you in everything Glasgow - sorry for not writing up a review earlier Ted!
The location is incredibly central and the price was fantastic. I had a single room with a shared bathroom. (The room was downstairs and it overlooked the backyard play area for the kids - the bathroom was only shared with one other single room). The room was fully equipped with tea facilities, tv and phone. The taking your key to the bathroom so you can return to your room was no issue for me, but Ted does remind and warns you plenty. Both the room and bathroom was clean. The shower curtain could have been updated but otherwise it was a great place to stay!!
The bonus with this place? Free internet!! Ted was awesome letting me hog the laptop to sort out my burnt accommodation in NYC.
All in all, not what I expected in Glasgow, it actually totally exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
the Netherlands
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Well here it is, the review of THE DUTCH. The staff at the Adelaides is extremely friendly, very lovely people, all of them. There is a 24 hour - reception desk, which gave me a real safe feeling. If you want to have a nice conversation and some stand up comedy, especially talk to Ted (is that his name?)...you will not miss him when staying at the Adelaides. The staff is extremely helpful with anything you might need. The location is very nice, very near the city centre and there are a lot of restaurants and bars very near by. We could recommend the Antipasti Italian place around the corner. If it's not near, just take one of the many bus-options that Glasgow has to offer. The room (number 6) is extremely big and quiet (one night I did hear the upstairs neighbours), the bathroom is very clean...one of the 3 beds was a bit too soft (if you have a bad back) and there was some dust in the lampshade...which has a lot of pleads, but if you have an allergy you'd notice it....Sorry, but as real Dutchmen we also have to have some tips to make your place even better! The tea-making facilities were wonderful and lovely and the shortbread (free of charge) was delicious.....and everyday there was a new set of yummie shortbread..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The rates for this place were excellent!!!! Well I could definitely recommend the Adelaides, it is the best base to start your Glasgow adventure. Just one tip...don't go to the Barras....you can ask Ted why not...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Visiting a conference, I stayed at Adelaides for a week, first alone, later joined by colleagues.
From the very frist moment I felt really welcome. Jannice (spelling?) had reserved me a big room, 'because it is nice to spread out your stuff when you stay for a whole week'. There were always fresh supplies of coffee, tea and shortbread in my room and they would go and search for herbal tea when I asked for it. Then there was Ted (!) at the desk, who made us all laugh and looked after us (inquiring about lost luggage, bus time tables and making sure we had a good time). And sometimes you can enjoy the sound of (good!) choir rehearsels in the evening.
In the weekend there may be some noice from drunk Scotsmen in the streets, but don't let that prevent you from staying at Adelaides. Highly reccomende for women travelling alone, but also great for families.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We had a wonderful welcome there : the first day of our 2-week trip started with a perfect service (with a good sense of humor as well). Anything we needed (ferry schedule, restaurant, ...) just ask and they will get the information and take care of things for you, like in a 5-star hotel !
To be strongly recommended

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Was my "homebase" while driving in Scotland. Great rooms, clean and spacious. Staff is excellent! Gave great advice and real fun to talk to :)

To Ted and the nice lady whose name has slipped my mind: I said I would leave behind the portable scale I got at the shop, unfortunately I went to bed a bit early and never got the chance to drop it off. I'm sure we will see each other again and I'll bring it the next time.

Thanks for a great time!

Best regards
Jonas

• Stayed August 2010
England
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We found Adelaides on TripAdvisor's website and after reading the reviews we were not in doubt we wanted to stay here while in Glasgow. The rooms are very nice and spacious, the guest house is very central located for shopping and bus/railway stations and the breakfast is good. All the staff at Adelaides helped make the stay very pleasant - they are very friendly and helpful, spiced with great Scottish humour! With the pleasant sound of the gospel choir during the day time from the Baptist Church in the same building you will leave this guest house with spiritual uplifting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We stayed in a family room with lovely high ceilings, plenty of central heating and a good spacious bathroom. The guest house is certainly not the newest or flashest but it makes up for that with the absolute charm of the building and the friendly staff at reception- hearing the Glasgow Mens Philharmonic choir having a practice was pretty special too. The guy at the front desk did an EXCELLENT Australian accent for you Aussies having trouble with broad Glaswegian- he was GREAT- recommended a top Indian restaurant for us too. This is a top place to stay if you are a family in the city looking for something with a bit of character- we loved it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family