“Where 'Quirky' works well”

The Butterfly And The Pig
Ranked #56 of 2,522 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were recommended by a local to eat here and I must confess the deliberately quirky odd crockery and mis-matched tables and chairs did put me off at the start, but it worked. The food was excellent (although the menu did have a rather limited fresh vegetables choice). The staff were fantastic and the dining room spotlessly clean. Would definitely go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Top class. Decent (if not spectacular) range of drinks but the real star is the food which never disappoints - tasty and huge portions. If nit-picking I would say that the menu could probably do with an overhaul and if you are with a group it's very unlikely you will all get seats at peak-time. But overall this place is well worth a visit.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This bar / restuarant is usually very busy so best to book if you want something to eat . The food is great and often has unusual along with the run of the mill dishes well worth a visit I cant see you being dissapoionted

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Described as a "quirky" dining experience....I was a little disappointed as the restaurant has rave reviews, but we had booked the tearoom upstairs and the menu was very limited. The decor is definitely quirky...mismatched crockery, ironing board set up etc.. but it made me feel a bit uncomfy...I always think that if you're going out for a meal you shouldn't want to feel as if you were gatecrashing someone else's front room. I think the toilets were supposed to be vintage but it was hard to tell whether the washbasin had originally been cracked during WW2 or whether it was just plain dirty. The food was very average...lots of bones in the fish, veggies in the frittata just a tad undercooked. Worst thing about the whole experience was the menu (the paper menu)...some might find it funny, but I thought it was really confusing...I found it hard to actually find the dishes on it, and there was lots of supposedly amusing guff about each dish but it didn't really tell you what you needed to know about the food...completely useless. Best thing...the cakes are excellent and our waitress was extremely attentive, helpful and welcoming. Word of advice: if you're going to try it, make sure you book the restaurant downstairs, where business seemed to be booming and the atmosphere was much livelier, and not the tearoom.

1  Thank FlorenceFoodie
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Butterfly and Pig is one of my favourite places to eat. Featuring retro decor, mis matched vintage crockery and quirky menu (always makes me giggle), you're guaranteed a feast for the eyes as well as your tummy...! Hearty, tasty fare is what's on offer...perfect on cold Scottish winter nights! The roast sweet potato and goats cheese dish is a particular favourite, as is the fish and chips with mushy peas...*beware* desperate dan sized portions. The service I find is always friendly and not overly attentive, which adds to the ambience. The tearooms upstairs offer high tea at a great price and if you give them a little notice they can prepare gluten free fish and chips and cake, perfect for celiacs, or those following a gluten free diet. My husband has a gluten intolerence and I have found the staff to be fairly knowledgable about special dietry requirements, which is completely refreshing. All in all a lovely place to dine.