“Lovely food in great surroundings!”

Grill Room at The Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill Room at The Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #279 of 2,520 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Transit: Royal Exchange Square is located a mere 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Central and Queen Street train stations. The area surrounding is also well serviced by taxis and is approximately 10 miles from Glasgow Airport.
Description: The Grill Room is part of the spectacular 29 Members Club that overlooks the Royal Exchange Square in Glasgow. The restaurant is sophisticated without being overbearing, decorated with dark wooden floors, sumptuous drapes and elegant seating. The menu is equally lavish, arranged by award-winning chefs, and can typically include dishes such as the native Cullen Skink, chickrn stuffed with spiced prawns and grilled wild sea trout. Desserts are equally stylish and can include Eton Mess and chocolate tart with orange sorbet. Three courses, excluding wine, cost around £30 per person; luxurious dining at affordable prices.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

If you like steak or home made burgers beautifully cooked this is the place to eat - in stylish surroundings! They do a fabulous up market fish and chips too!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I read a number of reviews before booking my first visit to The Grill. I have to say I am glad I chose here contrary to some reviews. The food, the staff and the general atmosphere of the restaurant was excellent. Debbie greeted us nicely on entry and young Nick our waiter had all the attributes of a finely brought up young man. He was attentive and more importantly knowledgeable on how the meats are best served, very important in a quality restaurant. There service was excellent not too much but just enough not to be intrusive but attentive. All in all they made a special evening all the better. Thanks to all.

1  Thank David M
RighttoResponse, General Manager at Grill Room at The Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us in the Grill Room. I'm delighted that despite some other reviews you took the opportunity to judge for yourself. As i have said many times we don't always get it right but i do believe that we get it right more often than wrong.
I have passed on your very kind comments to Nick and the rest of the team and very encouraged to read that we were able to recognise the importance of your eveing and take care of you accordingly.
Thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us here at the Grill Room and i look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had Afternoon Tea at 29 The Grill at the Square today. Very good experience. Lovely food and really excellent service. This was a deal from 'Itison' and was superb value.

Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted you enjoyed Afternoon Tea which is a new venture for us and i'm pleased that you were able to enjoy it with us.
I have passed your commets on to all the staff involved. Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was previously a member at 29 but a poor experience at one of their hospitality events put me off and I did not renew. However I have returned to dine in the Grill on a few occasions but do find it to be fairly inconsistent. The food is generally good although there have been times when I felt underwhelmed or that what was presented was not worth the price being charged for the dish but put that down to me making the wrong selection. However, I dined recently with a friend visiting from Hong Kong, on a Wednesday evening. The Grill was fairly empty with only two other tables occupied. The service was poor with the server bringing the wrong drink for my friend, then when she brought the correct replacement she failed to open or pour it, just set it down on the table and left. When I ordered a glass of Sancerre she told me they don't sell Sancerred by the glass (they do). She did eventually figured out that they do serve it. Midway though our mains (we had just about finished) the fire alarm went off and we had to bail out onto the Square and wait for the fire brigade. Upon returning to the restaurant, at no point did anyone apologise nor offer anything to compensate for the disruption to our evening. The fire was caused by the ktiched over cooking a dish and causing excess smoke (it was evident from our seat that it was going to happen) but when catering for only 3 or 4 tables, surely that could have been prevented. The food we had (chicken dish and a steak) were completely bland and not at all impressive. All in all a poor experience, a real dampener for my friend on her visit here and an embarassment for me after recommending it in the first place. In addition the "celeb" gallery in the hallway and landing areas do lower the tone, rather than enhance it (which I gather is the point of having them on show). I don't plan on visiting again nor recommending it to anyone. I will leave it to the Michelle Mone's of Glasgow to "enjoy".

3  Thank sjdon
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My Husband and I celebrated my birthday here. We had a table for two by the window. The restaurant was well decorated and furnished.The waiters were very attentive. The loaf of bread we had was fresh from the oven and was gorgeous!! We had the soup which was good followed by Scottish beef steaks which were cooked to our indivdual likings and very enjoyable. For desert I had the sorbet with fresh fruit which was really good my Husband had a strawberry desert(forgot the name of it) he said it was delicious.

RighttoResponse, General Manager at Grill Room at The Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us in the Grill Room, While it isn't always possible to secure a window table with the unique views over Glasgow, i'm delighted we were able to do so on this occaision.
Your husbands delicious dessert was our very popular "Strawberry Mille-feillet", pleased to hear that he thought it was delicious and i have passed your comments on to our dedicated pastry chef.