“Fantastic special occasion venue”
Review of Bar Milano - CLOSED

Bar Milano
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Last year my now wife and I were out and about looking for a suitable venue for our wedding reception.
Having toured the usual haunts in and around Glasgow that everyone turns to when looking for somewhere to host such a do we stopped in to Bar Milano for a spot of lunch to mull over the venues we had looked at that day and over the past couple of days. Bar Milano was not on our radar as the word Bar wouldn’t normally spring into one’s mind for holding a reception.

It was during this lunch with which we both thoroughly enjoyed that the thought came to us about enquiring with the manager as to whether or not we could “take over” his restaurant for our reception as we both really liked the environment, food and feel about the place. We thought we’d chance it and to be honest didn’t think that you could simply take over a restaurant just like that.

During our chat with Lello about various things like party size and menus etc we knew we’d found the perfect place. Lello told us that he’d simply set the restaurant aside for us on the date we had planned and not to worry about anything else, we didn’t and Lello and the Bar Milano team did us and themselves proud on the day. It was that simple.

Ok, now for the overall review of Bar Milano itself.

Food – We have been to the restaurant on a number of occasions now since our first visit back in Aug 2012 and each time without fail the food has been of great quality and terrific value. There is the usual Italian fare with some additions but it’s the quality of the ingredient that shines through in each meal we’ve enjoyed there and I think this is what is key to elevating any restaurant away from similarly placed eateries and its certainly the case with Bar Milano. Each time we’ve visited there has been a chefs daily specials board which always has something on offer to tempt you off the varied menu.
The wine list has a fine array of wines to choose from at varying degrees of price to suit any taste and budget, various beers and a good selection of malts. I was particularly pleased to find at last somewhere that stocks Glenfarclas. On the big day itself the food was fantastic as always and according to all who attended every meal was great even the “picky” eaters and hard to please in the crowd commented of how good the meal was.

Service – Brilliant, the staff are extremely attentive, genuine and always welcoming. Perhaps this stems from the fact that it is a family run business at its core?

Venue – terrific, spacious and set in contemporary décor that suits and is in keeping the building. Tables aren’t crammed together.

Value – Even out with the special offers then the A la carte menu is very keenly set and the lunch menu offers great value.

Overall Verdict – Setting the Wedding aside as I know everyone is biased and will say that their wedding meal, venue etc was perfect. I’ll balance my review by stating that each time we have dined at Bar Milano following our first visit back in August 2012 then the experience has been always been an enjoyable and please one and will be returning patrons for the foreseeable future.

A gem on the Southside that’s worth venturing out to even if you’re not local. Don’t be fooled by the word Bar in the title, it’s a relaxed eatery with great food and a surprisingly great place to hold any special occasion or gathering.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've been going to this restaurant since it opened. With the current management, it is the best it has ever been. Especially worth a visit are the themed evenings. We were lucky enough to spend Hogmanay there and were served a meal which has rarely been equalled in my wide experience. Valentine's night was almost as good with the sartorially immaculate gaffer welcoming all the ladies of our party with a fresh rose and a glass of champagne.
Will be back for both of those occasions next time!
Thanks Lello.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

First visit here despite being reasonably local.

Restaurant was quiet when we got there around 6.30.

Service was decent and food was really nice especially as it was the excellent value a la carte menu.

As the restaurant got a bit busier service slipped a bit and at the end of our meal I walked up to the bar to pay as I kept failing in getting the waiters attention and we had sat there for a while without being asked whether we wanted coffee/deserts or just the bill.

When going to pay I was also told that they hadnt had the chance to do the system upgrade on their card machine and didn't accept American Express. As I use amex everywhere and virtually all restaurants take it, this was an inconvenience. It wasnt a big deal overall as I used another card and transferred money.

Overall it was a good meal at a good price but it was nothing special which is a shame as I was expecting so much more!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My partner and I have been coming to Bar Milano for around one and a half years now and this is our all time favourite restaurant. Lello and his staff are excellent hosts and the food is second to none. We would have no hesitation in recommending this first class restaurant.
Anne

1  Thank Anne B
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great experience for all the family
Pre theatre menu very good for al.l Good price and staff very attentive