“Great curry and reasonable price!”
Review of Balaka - CLOSED

Balaka
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Saint Andrews, England, United Kingdom
“Great curry and reasonable price!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I really recommend its 5.95pounds lunch set ( Indian cracker + starter+ curry rice + dessert ) from Mon to Sat 12-3pm. Food are really delicious. Staffs also friendly.

• Visited December 2012

Fife , Scotland
“One of the best curry houses ever”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Quote simply one of the best curry houses I have ever visited . For a real authentic curry without the usual MSG sauces you cannot get much better than the Balaka . The staff are friendly and the service is fast . The tandoori dishes are well worth a try as are the house specials , the Bhuna however is one of my favourite curries period .

Visited March 2012
1 Thank electricians
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
“lunch menu at balaka”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

great choice for very reasonable price,the ice cream was pretty cheap tasting but evrything else was very tasty and i would go back in a flash.The service was fast and they were very polite also.overall a great lunch for little money.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank bstrak
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“I ate here regularly during my degree - I miss it greatly - No other Indian I have tried before or since compares”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This restaurant is one of my favourites and certainly the best Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant I have ever eaten at. This includes both the dining and takeaway - the quality really is exemplary. The cuts of meat are high quality and plentiful, especially the scottish lamb - my favourite dish is the Afghani Gosht partly for this reason. I have eaten here possibly over 20 times both and have never been even remotely disappointed be it Chicken, King Prawn or Lamb. The food is always delightfully flavoursome and rich, plenty of spice without ever being too much. The Peshawari nan bread is incredible.

The only problem is since graduating I live in England so I can't go anymore. I have tried the most highly Indian restaurants around Lancashire in the hope of finding something that compares but all I have come across is distinctly average and low quality Indian cuisine with poor quality meats and bland or indistinct flavours. You will certainly never be able to accept the poor quality ready meals supermarkets serve up after this or any of the jarred curry sauces you can buy on the shelves. Real delicious Indian food shouldn't be this rare, but apparently it is.

The service is also polite and attentive so if you're in St Andrews definitely make sure you go to this one. I found the price to be quite reasonable especially given how good it is. I can't believe anyone has rated this average, poor or terrible - some people must be missing their tastebuds.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Pete H
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food, brilliant atmosphere, lovely people”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having both eaten in Balaka and taken away I have found that Balaka never fails to impress. The takeaways are always produced quickly and if you find you have to wait you are entertained by the always friendly chatty staff with the offer of a drink while you wait. Sitting in the restaurant you are again met with friendly service, amazing food and a great atmosphere. I would highly recommend visiting Balaka as a must do for anybody visiting St Andrews.

• Visited October 2012