“Issues”

The Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #52 of 147 Restaurants in St. Andrews
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We strive to provide a range of fabulous dishes, using the best of local produce, handled with passion, care and knowledge. The elegant, relaxing and spacious 2AA Rosette Terrace Restaurant offers a seasonally changing a la carte menu. At Rufflets, we spend much time sourcing the ingredients for our menus - working with local small producers within the region, to find the very best of what is available. We are also proud to be able to boast "zero food miles" for the herbs, vegetables and soft fruits grown in our grounds. Chef David Kinnes and our gardener, Phil Harper, work together to supply the kitchen with an eclectic range of fresh produce all year round. All this effort has been recognised by VisitScotland who awarded 'Taste our Best' for use of Scotlands' Larder, presentation, quality and service standards. To complement your meal, our wonderful cellar offers an eclectic choice of wines from around the globe, including an extensive selection of half bottles and wines by the glass.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Issues”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I emailed Rufflets Country House Hotel about various issues during our stay, several weeks ago, and have yet to have a response. They cater for vegetarians - badly. It was not a fair meal compared to the meat offering amongst some other things.

2 Thank Emmad657
StephenOwen, General Manager at The Terrace Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Emma

I am sorry to hear that there were issues that we did not address, and I am also looking into why your post-stay email was not responded to. On first inspection, it appears that it didnt get through, but I will continue to look.

We do offer a separate vegetarian menu, and we can also provide suitable dishes for a number of other diets (as has been noted in other reviews here), but I can only apologise that we have failed to live up to expectations.

Hopefully you might give us another chance - and do get in touch if you are planning to return to the area.

Regards

Stephen Owen

“Very disappointing and not worth the money.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here on a 2 day DBB deal with 5 pm. I had always heard about this hotel, and had wished to stay and enjoy its ambience and outstanding cooking. The 2 red rosettes for cooking awarded should be removed. The meal on the 1st night was mediocre - I had a starter of a quail egg with 2 tea spoons of salmon mouse on a roof slate. My partner had an uninspiring vegetable lasagne of peppers, cucumber and carrot, covered by a tired insipid piece of pasta. The rolls which accompanied this were cold and undigestible. The main of lamb was tasty but too small a portion to enjoy. The desert I had was of the 3 cheeses, though interesting, were certainly not worth the £3.50 supplement. A disappointing start to our stay, and the price of £39.50 for 3courses very pricey. The next morning breakfast was ordinary. I had the porridge which was very watery, and my partner had a selection of the limited fruits on the buffet table. I had a piece of smoked haddock with a poached egg. (The fish repeated on me all day). My partner had the cooked breakfast, bacon and egg etc. - not tasty at all. That evening we had our second meal. It looked according to the menu, more inspirational, than on the previous night - tonight there were a choice of 5 starters and mains, compared with the previous evenings' 3 starters and mains. Again, the rolls were mediocre, but they were accompanied by 2 small pieces of bread, which were tasty. I asked for more. They did not have any - at 8 pm! The duck confit was good, but tiny in quantity. The main of venison was tasty but portion quite small. We both had this. I had the Sticky toffee pudding which was ok and my partner a desert with coconut icecream and cake. Breakfast the next day was more of the same. I asked for 3 boiled eggs, which were very small. My partner had what was indicated as scrambled egg with bacon, but tasted of neither.

I know that I am overtly critical of the cooking at this hotel, but I feel let down that a hotel with 2red rosettes for its standard of cuisine, should be serving such food. Ican say that I have dined in many of the red rosetted restaurants and hotels in Scotland over the last few years, but the food quality displayed by the Rufflets was wanting. I feel the restaurant is relying on past laurels. I would recommend the chef and the management look at the exceptional talent of the BBC Masterchef contestants for inspiration and panache!

2 Thank jayemel57
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“It's a matter of taste”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have visited many times for meals but have never stayed overnight (so cannot comment on the quality of the accommodation). The service is friendly, but occasionally a little disorganised. The food is good, albeit somewhat on the expensive side for what is now offered. I first visited about 20 years ago, long before the recent refurbishment of the public rooms. Those who loved Rufflets of old may be in for a shock: the recent refurbishment/modernisation of this 1920s building includes somewhat sparkly silver wallpaper in the public rooms. Some may love the refurbishment, but I find it vulgar and out of keeping with the history of the building.

Leven, United Kingdom
“lost booking.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a hotel restaurant my friends and I use for Birthday Lunches etc. I had made a booking for lunch for 4 at 1pm on 27th August about 10 days prior to this date. On our arrival the young woman who seemed to be in charge of the dining room said she had no booking in my name,and there was no table where we normally dined.We were offered a table at the bar area,and as my friend has walking difficulties and there was 2 steps it wasn't really suitable.I felt really let down on my friends behalf as steps are a struggle for her. However I must add food and table service was very good.

2 Thank Anne W
Bali, Indonesia
“Must try it.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This Resaturant is location in Rufflets country house. The food have limited choice but the taste is very good and the portion its just enough. The starter crab and salmon is yummy the steak too delicious! The staff very friendly and they have beautiful garden.

Visited August 2012