“A fantastic hotel with a great pub downstairs.”
Review of Greyfriars Hotel

Greyfriars Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Fantastic location 1 minute from the Old Course. Rooms are great and really spacious. The pub downstairs serves great food and drinks. All the staff are really welcoming. Special mention goes to the night porter, Steve who even cooked us bacon and eggs at 6 am so we could go and play golf.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ishannon

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Was in the pub for a drink with family on Saturday night and could not believe how arrogant and ignorant the bar manager was. First of all we moved two tables together so we could sit together to have a drink and he came over to say we had not positioned the tables properly and moved them. Said people would not be able to get by which was funny considering the pub was empty! Then the TV behind us was blaring awful music in our ears so swithed it off and he was not happy at all with us and was terribly rude to us all. We would have stayed there for a couple of hours having a drink but no way with an ignorant and arrogant manager like that, no wonder it was quite. The bar staff even looked frightened of him. Not a friendly atmosphere at all. This is not the first experience I have had like that in here. I was out late last year with work collegues and we were told to move a bar stool away from the bar as it was in the way for people to walk by....again the pub was empty. Wonder why. I will never be back in here ever again for a night out - shame for the owner as I have lots of friends who visit me here in Fife. Anyway we had a great night in Aitkmans bar, friendly staff and live music.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Fiona1974Fife
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Went in recently for a meal and my partner was served fish - cooked on the outside and raw on the inside. After a rather sharp exchange with the manager and after some insistance, they checked the food and agreed it was not acceptable. Situation significantly compounded by the way the manager handled the situation - an apology would have been a reasonable start but no luck there. Was heavy handed throughout. He pushed me to pay for my main course sea-food dish which I'd returned {lightly touched] because I didnt have confidence in the kitchen. I paid for starter and drinks in the end. Thought this type of customer service went out in the 1970s. Obviously not.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allybally354
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The hotel is located on a main road, is contemporary in style and has a sports bar. Our room was located on the 3rd floor. When we were trying to sleep we could here people talking in the next room which was frustrating to say the least. In the morning at 7am the fire alarm went off which was extremely loud. As the hotel was evacuated we were informed it was not a real emergency and that it had been set off by someone. We then were forced to stand outside in the cold for over 30 minutes due to the incompetency of staff being unable to turn the alarm off. When we came to check out the manager was not apologetic and refused to offer any form of compensation.
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!! - (+the bed was as hard as the pavement outside)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeeDeeVee81
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A group of friends stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for part of our golf vacation. This hotel was close to the golf course, the room was large and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. The pub was small and welcoming and the food was good. Yes, there were seagulls that are a bit noisy but, it is by the sea after all!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Greyfriars Hotel for one night, on our tour of Scotland. We arrived early but the room was ready so we checked in and had lots of time to explore St Andrews. Before we left we had a quick lunch which was good, washed down with a beer. There is such a selection of beers here, from all around the world. Our room was on the 3rd floor, but there is a lift to the 2nd floor so only 1 flight of stairs to carry bags to. The room was fairly spacious with a sofa.
Breakfast was included in the price and is extensive, with 6 choices for hot breakfast, as well as cereal and juices/toast and hot drinks. A very enjoyable stay. Thank you!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I decided to take an overnight getaway from work in Glasgow and chose St. Andrews. I booked this property based on its strong reviews and good value for the price. I was not at all disappointed! The location is fantastic - just a short walk from the old golf course at St. Andrews. I was given a beautiful, very large room on the 3rd floor. I think it was bigger than my first apartment! It included a wonderful sofa and chairs and an extremely comfortable bed for a great nights sleep. The restaurant and bar downstairs are lively and serve a variety of foods and what seems like an endless offering of beers. The staff are friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. There is also a small car park located next to the hotel so try and grab a spot there to avoid paying for street parking. I wished I had the opportunity to stay longer, but will definitely book this property on any return trip to St. Andrews.

Room Tip: Be warned that 3rd floor rooms are not accessed by the lift-it stops at the 2nd floor. So, if you r...