“Fantastic Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for myself and the family based on prior reviews and I am so glad I did.
The location is superb, the rooms were excellent and luxurious with a lift for my elderly father and the restaurant was good.
We had booked a table in the restaurant as it was my son's birthday and he could not get home from university. The food was excellent and they helped me with presenting him with a birthday cake and successfully embarrassing him by posting birthday wishes on the big screen in the restaurant. I think that despite the embarrassment, this made his birthday!! He had a super time.
The breakfast menu is extensive and delicious and all in all we couldn't have had a better time, even the weather complied with our plans!
As my son is only in 1st year, we will no doubt be using Greyfriars again and would recommend it to anyone else visiting St Andrews. Thank You!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sailrepair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

From when I started communicating with Jinty from Greyfriars to the day I left, I only experienced exceptional service. Not only was the hotel clean, I had a fabulous room that was spacious & had everything you could possibly need...even a fantastic hairdryer (which is a rarity in hotels for some reason)! The food was great, the staff friendly & nothing was too much trouble. I'd left my mobile charger behind & one was instantly produced. I needed help with taxi's and a brilliant company was recommended. Jinty and the rest of the team were superb and made my trip a wonderful success. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them & hope I will be able to go back and visit again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank CreateAStirSA
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We've stayed at Greyfriars in St Andrews every winter for the last 5 years. It is one of the few hotels to offer a double and 2 single beds in one spacious room (perfect for families of 4).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kay Y
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

Visiting my daughter at the University and needed a room for the night -stayed December 7th.

When I booked the night before through Late Rooms I thought an error had ocurred when it came up with £30 for a single room.

Imagine my delight on arrival to be ushered into a double with walk in shower,, sofa, huge bed, big tv et al.

I was most upset this hotel didn't include breakfast at this rate.........joke !!

Night Porter was telling me when the open or such was on the same room would be £250.

Bar area was very smart with a sectioned dining area.

Deal of the century a 4 star room for less than most Travelodges.

Room Tip: Always use a consolidator to check the best rates !!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ButtsFife
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

We had a wedding to attend in St Andrews so booked in at Greyfriars. We weren't expecting much, but were very pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, comfortable, and inviting. The bathroom was spotless. The customer service was excellent. The beer selection at the bar was a lovely surprise (Innis & Gunn on tap!) and the breakfast was delicious, with good sized servings, efficient service, and a piping hot flask of coffee at the table. In the end, we were sad that we only had the one night to stay, as we enjoyed it so thoroughly. If ever we need to go to St Andrews again, we would book into Greyfriars without hesitation. Top marks!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank L G
Kilkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Spent last weekend with 15 friends in this wonderful hotel. Owned and run by a great couple Jinty and Jim. Their warmth and hospitality make it feel like home every time I stay here (this was my 6th visit). Location is perfect - 300m from 1st Tee on the Old Course and 2 mins walk to Main St. Restaurant and bar are excellent with great staff. Looking forward to 2012 already!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MartinKilkenny
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Travelled with 15 friend to play golf in St Andrews. We were welcomed off the bus on arrival, greeted one by one and treated like royalty for the duration of our stay. The location is ideal, 5 mins to the old course in the centre of town, no taxis required here. The staff are very helpful, no request was too much. The rooms are very spacious and clean with everything you would need, especially when you get one each. The food is great with a large varied menu and the bar is better stocked than any in town. You will not find a fairer priced place to stay of this quality with the friendliest of management and staff. Our fifth year here and by no means our last.

Room Tip: They're all good, second floor quiter if that's what you want
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends