“Outstanding!”
Review of Doune Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Doune Guest House
Ranked #28 of 72 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights to visit the University with my two grandparents and i honestly couldn't have asked for more from a guest house! We were given an amazingly warm welcome and the owner was very helpful with maps of the town and helping us find somewhere to eat that evening. The rooms were well decorated and spotlessly clean, as was the rest of the guest house, but it was the bathroom that surprised us. Absolutly everything was provided, from shower gel and soap to cotton wool buds and balls in cute little pots and gorgously fluffy towels. It was these little touches that made the stay extra special. The bed was wonderful and the pillows lovely and i had a great nights sleep both nights, just to wake up to the best breakfast i've had in a while! a choice of cerals, fruit salad and youghurts to keep you going until your made to order cooked breakfast arrives and then toast, coffee and juice. The only way i could fault it was that, if you wanted to try everything, then there was too much!
The guest house is small and that means you get very personal service from the wonderful owners who are more than happy to stop and have a chat with you. They go out of their way to make sure you are alright and enjoying yourself, even to the point of shipping our bag back down to the south of england when we managed to leave it there, which was very much appreciated!
The Location of the guest house is also perfect, 5 minutes from the golf course, 5 minutes from the University, right in the centre of town and a stones throw from a lovely restraunt, you cant ask for anything more. The only problem for some people would be the lack of parking, but that applies to the whole of the town :)
Doune Guest House was an amazing place to stay and i know that my grandparents are planning on staying there again when they come to visit me at Uni. I would definatly reccomend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in St Andrews.

Room Tip: Single rooms are rather pokey, still lovely, but if you like your space then i'd reccomend going...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Middlesex
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Spent a brief but very enjoyable stay here. our room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. we thoroughly enjoyed the excellent breakfast with portions big enough to defeat my teenage son! We were given and a very warm welcome, and hope to be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I decided to extend our easter break at a 4 star hotel in Nairn with an overnight stay in St Andrews,the Doune Guest House outdid the hotel for comfort,cleanliness,service and breakfast.
I have stayed in a few of the guest houses in this area of St Andrews on various golfing trips and this one is definately one of the best,Well done to Del and Maria,looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for an open day at the university and could not have been better looked after; the beds were really comfortable, the bathroom spotless and with lovely fluffy huge towels and we raved about the breakfasts! Very tasty fruit salad, fantastic cooked breakfast and enough tea to keep us happy. Also we thought the complimentary bottles of water a really nice touch and there were many other small things which showed how much thought and effort had gone into making our stay really special. Thank you for a really super time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
london
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here for a week and i couldnt have asked for a more perfect B and B! The location is great for the town and uni, the rooms are lovely, by bed was huge and very comfy, with lots of small touches which make all the difference. The bathroom had complementary toiletries and felt more like hotel.#the breakfast was yummy and very generous (I think I must have put on about a stone!) and del and maria could not have been more helpful.
I would recommend doune house to anyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
edzell
Reviewed March 24, 2013

have been to st andrews a few times and this is the best guest house by far lovely spaceous room spotlessly clean could not find a fault at all quiet place in the centre of st andrews run by a lovely friendly couple i would recomend it to anybody will definately use it the next time wee visit there c laidlaw edzell angus

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was here last year fro the StAnza Festival, and as soon as I had booked my tickets, I went straight back to Doune house to book a room. The room was warm, comfortable (great bed!) and pleasant and the breakfast was lovely, especially that fruit salad. I was surprised to be recognised when I arrived, as there must be so many people coming and going, but it was so good to be welcomed, and made to feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo