“Very good first impression, some disapointment along the way”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Lorimer Guest House
Ranked #24 of 72 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good first impression, some disapointment along the way”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I stayed in the Lorimer house during a 11 nights-business trip (doing research at the University of St Andrews): for such a long stay, I wasn't initially troubled when they explained they could have me but with a change of rooms half way through. the first room, a large double bed, was excellent in comfort and amenities, with a large and modern bathroom. unfortunately, the second room, a small double, was not only smaller (which would have been fine if everything else had been equal) but also of a lesser standard; nothing outrageous but little things like having a smaller towel or not having a hook on the back of the door where to hang your coat...that cannot be justified by the size of the room. The hosts were pleasant and accommodated good early breakfasts for my long days of work. I agree with the reviews saying that they tended to be a bit rigid on check out time and that I was indeed very rapidly dismissed when I came back to pick up my luggage to get my taxi after having checked out on that morning; this very oddly contrasted with their welcoming attitude over the rest of my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ClaireGo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

As I was invited to review this establishment on Tripadvisor by a card in the entrance hall, I thought I would take the opportunity to do so. If you are a golfer you will love this place because of the proximity to St Andrews and the golf paraphernalia throughout the house. If you are not a golfer, you are unlikely to feel so positive. My main problem is the 4 star grading it receives from the AA and the Scottish Tourist Board. I stayed with my wife in a fairly small room with a tiny bathroom, which simply had a shower. The sink was the smallest basin I had seen since the 1970s. One half of the couple who run this establishment is very friendly; the other is not.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ppp88
chester
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Lovely guest house, well situated for walks into town and to the golf course.Free bus stops outside the door to take you to other courses nearby. We were grateful to owner of guest hiuse for golf advice which proved very useful.We really enjoyed our stay,lovely clean rooms and a fabulous breakfast each day. made to feel very welcome

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My wife and I spent three very pleasant evenings in Lorimer. The house is in absolutely tip top condition. Our room was large and extremely comfortable. The shower, sometimes a problem in B&Bs, was spacious and modern. Actually, "modern comfort" was a bit of a theme with a flat screen TV in the room, free Wi Fi and an "internet cafe" facility, if you don't have your own laptop. The breakfast, served in an extremely tastefully decorated room, was excellent and included fresh fruit salad - again not something you get very often in a B&B. Overall, Michael and Chris went out of their way to make us comfortable - and we will certainly return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pickering ont
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Just returned from Scotland May 10th. Stayed 3 nights with Mick and Chris. Beautiful B and B 300 yrds from the first tee of the old course. Room was lovely ,including the bathroom with shower,double sinks and towel warmer. Each morning included fresh juices, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit salad, coffee, tea and tradional scotish breakfast. No need to drive anywhere in town, we parked the car and never moved it until we left. Thanks again to Mick and Chris. Hope too see again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Cooley, Ireland
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We were a party of 8 golfers from Ireland who stayed in the Lorimer for 3 nights. Our hosts Mick and Carol were very welcoming, helpful and knowledgable about the golf courses and the restauranants and amenities in the area and were always willing to give advice. Everyone was happy with the size,cleanliness and facilities in the rooms.
The location of the lorimer is perfect, being just a few hundred yards from the 1st tee of the Old Course and within walking distance of he restaurants, shops and sights of St Andrews. The breakfast was freshly cooked to order in the morning and there was plenty of choice for everyone.
Many thanks to Mick and Carol for a memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We loved staying at the Lorimer House in St. Andrews. Very friendly and welcoming. Great rooms and a delicious breakfast. Unbeatable location.

• Liked — The rooms and the breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)