“The truth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Lorimer Guest House
Ranked #24 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I wasn't going to review my last stay (September this year) until I stumbled upon the extremely negative reviews by 2 who appear to have their agenda to slate this place. The review by one of my fellow guests, Ian Whyte, was sufficient so I didn't bother.

I stayed here again at the end of September 2012. As per before, the place is immaculate, spotless, great breakfast & run by two very helpful proprietors. I have called the owner to make him aware of the spiteful reviews by the two visitors below & to discuss my next stay. Needless to say, he was shocked.

To put the record straight from someone who has no vested interest, except fairness, this Guest house is modern, clean & very well run. How anyone can rate the cleanliness or any other ratings as terrible is beyond me & it just cries out vindictiveness from people who have never reviewed anywhere else, before this trip.

Don't let them put you off. I shall be there again next year, enjoying the place & relishing the golf.

It's a sad state of affairs when spiteful ness can be allowed to be used through a proper review site. I am not wanting any favours from the owners, nor affiliated to them, but just want the record putting right.

Room Tip: Ignore vindictive reviews & look at all reviews for a real picture of this guest house
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ian F

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Thanks to Chris and Michael for making our family break in St Andrews such wonderful time. The accomodation was excellent, and we were made to feel extremely comfortable and welcome for our weekend break. We would definately recommend for super accomodation in a great location.

Room Tip: All rooms great, but top floor rooms are lovely
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was booked out in full for a wedding, it had been explained months before it would be paid for in full no matter what (e.g people pulling out changing etc) which it was. This man was quite the running joke through out he 2 day wedding celebrations, we all had more than one story to talk about due to our treatment (circa 8 people, maybe more). Cant get away with anyone liking this place having read his rebuttals its also quite clear they can do no wrong and all customers who disagree with the awful place's terribleness are obviously wrong, as Lorimer can never be, he hasnt conceded on any point at all that anyone has made. ( That speaks volumes to me) Dated, over priced, terrible owner who forgets when he charges for rooms his home is no longer that, its a business. Shouting regularly at people and general intimidation if you dare to say something they dont like, thing is, you dont know what that is so beware! That said lets hear his rebuttal to this...wonder what terribleness I will be accused of, and what lies he will put in now, cnt wait, will defo enjoy this, maybe get a laugh out of it and in turn some use from the worst experience of my staying away from home, and I got rained out at T in the park once and had to walk 2 miles to my transport!!!hahahaha, what a joke of a place wait for it, manic rebuttal coming up.... over to you Lorimer........

Room Tip: Dont go unless you like being verbally abused and treated like a chastised child at all times. Appa...
2  Thank Joanne B
TheTopGolfer, Owner at Lorimer Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Please refer to the full reply under the listing from "MMcGilvary" as this is the same guest. I say again. Once again we find ourselves having to defend our actions against a group booking that had come into our home and showed absolutely no respect to our home or us. In the end we were just glad when they left after some of them had been very rude and treating towards my wife. It is also typical and equally unsurprising, is that much of the detail is missing from this guests account.

To sum this up the most important aspect in this is that they were staying in our HOME and failed to show the behaviour expected from sensible adults. This review has served only to weaken the credibility of these guests and our high number of positive reviews only serves to strengthen our stance on such behaviour as clearly the vast majority of our guests appreciate what we have to offer at Lorimer Guest House.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just got back from the Lorimer guest house stayed 2 days great rooms! great food! great hosts ideal for golfers right in the heart of St Andrews 9 of us stayed! Well Done Michael and Chris! just a shame the 299.8 miles drive back home to Halifax was not as good as our stay lol!!!
Next time the train!!!

Barrie

Room Tip: get the twin room top floor!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barrie S
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Rude, abrupt, bordering on nasty, but then we were here for a wedding they could have "rented the room out 10 times over [to golfers] if it werent for your booking". We were told this twice within first 2 or 3 mins of entering, the whole place having been booked by my family for a wedding, as I explained my mother was extremely ill and couldn't make it, Well we still have to be paid (is that not the point of taking credit card details upon the booking???) Obnoxious arrogant man who has a penchent for shouting at his guests. He over charged everyone too and lied to me directly while I arranged our room. I am on crutches, he told me I would find parking there "fine" and also a late check out would be possible on the Sun, day after the wedding, "its free 2 park here so its choca constantly" he explained when I asked where our parking was as soon as we arrived. "Never no chance" He shouted repeatedly at me on the Sun when he barged in the room at 9.30 to tell us to "get out" and I pointed out these facts of the previous phone call, he basically called me a liar. I have been on crutches on and off for more than half my life. I have made all the mistakes you make when 1st becoming disabled and travelling (of not researching/getting assurances beforehand) The only reason this man is still in business is through golf. The "Deluxe" (hahahaha) room was basic and hairdryer broken, too many rules and regs and not a nice atmosphere start to finish. The breakfast has choice and tastes great but DID NOT redeem. Joke worst experience of my travelling life. Try as he might though he could not spoil my cousins perfect wedding at the Old course, do yourself a favour go there (Oldcourse Hotel) or anywhere else in St Andrews, or the world, rather that here. I would have gave 1/2 if it were possible. Zero if not for the breakfast.

2  Thank MMcGilvray
TheTopGolfer, Owner at Lorimer Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Once again we find ourselves having to defend our actions against a group booking that had come into our home and showed absolutely no respect to our home or us. In the end we were just glad when they left after some of them had been very rude and treating towards my wife. It is also typical and equally unsurprising, is that much of the detail is missing from this guests account. After the groom having booked the whole Guest house for two nights for ten people to stay, we found on the arrival of the first guests that one room would be empty and another had changed to single occupancy for one night. We feel that we should not be disadvantaged financially by this wedding party not fulfilling their booking, we had held these rooms for some months and had fulfilled all aspects of our agreement with this party. With reference to parking there is free parking outside the Guest House, which is a first come basic and no-one can pre-book a space. No guest is ever offered a late check out as we always accept early check ins and cannot have both. A hairdryer was mentioned as being broken, it was the styling nozzle was loose and to help her she was given a new hairdryer straight away.
The worst was yet to come when they did finally did check out. This was when for the first time I was told her uncle was now paying for her room. Three of the total five rooms had paid their own bill. Her uncle was not staying at the Guest House and I did not have any contact details for him or his credit card, so when I asked her to phone him she started her rant about not trusting her. Why would anyone not pay for their own room or make sure the owner was informed beforehand of the situation? On the ground floor we have a twin en-suite room which two gents were staying in, when check out came they would not answer their door and we could not get access until 11.40am when we found out the guys had a lady staying with them, this is something we strongly object to people abusing our trust and putting our very livelihood at risk through irresponsible behaviour by invalidation of the Fire Regulations.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

A superb guest house, ideal for golf breaks in and around St Andrews. Run by golfers and always willing and able to advise as to different courses to visit. Rooms are excellent, very good facilities - and very clean!!! Breakfast is excellent with a wide ranging menu - plenty of choice. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a little dearer, but superb!! En-suite facilities are second to none!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian W
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was in a real bind finding out just days before I was arriving in St Andrews that my accommodation had fallen through. Mick & Chris at Lorimer Guest House were so helpful and I was able to book a great room. The room was clean, spacious and the ensuite was very nice. Shower was excellent. Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choices. Location couldn't be better. They held by bags for me when I had to dash off earlier in the morning and I was able to come and collect them in a few hours with no problem. Thank you so much for the lovely stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4 at the top and it was great. Nice view onto the garden below.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo