“Uncharacteristic”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We were surprised by this hotel. It is so un-Scottish in architecture and character. A modern building on a grand scale, with spacious public areas, valet parking and shuttle bus, it is more something we would expect to find in North America. If you are looking for a country house atmosphere, this is not the place to come. However, the accommodation is modern, comfortable and, above all, quiet. We ate in the bar at night and the food and service were fine. The gym is well-equipped and the staff are pleasant and welcoming. When the weather is bad, it has a certain soulless feel to it and the large atrium can be cool and uninviting. It is set out of St Andrews itself, beyond walking distance - hence the hourly shuttle bus.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Fairmont St Andrews

Reviewed July 22, 2007

Hotel is clean and well situated, but without character. It could be a golf hotel in Alabama. Food and service barely adequate. Indoor pool and health club quite nice. Internet charges are vwery expensive - if my memory is correct - about $18 per day (at least not 18 pounds) at a time when many hotels provide it for free. And when I had a problem, the concierge came to my room and called the provider Swisscom on a 1-800 number and they put a $34 phone charge on my bill. At least they took it off when I complained. Rooms were clean and comfortable and hotel is convenient.
prmco - CT-USA

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Have just returned from a one night stay in this hotel with some friends. The location of the hotel is stunning with lovely views over to St Andrews. We stayed in a resort view room overlooking the car park ;0) The room was large, clean and very comfortable.

On arrival we were advised their fine dining restaurant was already fully booked. We went to the bar for some fantastic cocktails (highly recommend a Mojito) and pondered over where to eat. We eventually decided to try the Squire restaurant. Unfortunately we were not impressed. Food wasn't up to much, service average and there wasn't much atmosphere. You really are just sitting in part of the main corridor in my opinion. If you're going I'd recommend booking Esperante in advance.

Overall very much enjoyed our brief stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Fairmont...checking out 1 day early.

Upon arrival we were impressed at the location of the hotel. The golf course and surrounding views of the sea are breathtaking.

The hotel was, to us, any standard 4 star business hotel at best and served its purpose as a place to stay whilst my husband attended a conference being held there.

The rooms are quiet and decorated as many business hotels are, with plain furnishings and a 26inch old style television and no cable or in house movies. The bathroom seemed recently renovated with a nice walk in shower....but what's with the cheap laminate counter top. The room service attendants do not tuck in the sheets, and our room wasnt vacumed whilst we stayed there. The towels were fluffy in the bathroom but threadbare in the spa.

The dining options are limited to a rather small selection from room service, an almost identical menu at the bar and a restaurant open only on weekends. Breakfasts are served off the atrium area buffet style, I suggest getting there early as it seems once items are put out at 7am...they will stay there till 10am.

I booked and recieved 3 treatments in the spa. I would not recommend the spa for those fussy about spa environments or level of professionalism in therapists....whilst I didnt find the spa horrible, and the therapists were indeed friendly, it was certainly not comparable to any other 4 or 5 star spas I have personally encountered as far as standards of services provided. There were no robes or slippers offered before or after my massage, there were no flipflops to put on after my pedicure...when i enquired about this i was told to just walk back to my room in bare feet as "everyone" does it. My husbands massage was "accidentally" cancelled and his time slot given to another customer...with little apology from the staff.

It seems the Fairmont employ many University students to fill service rolls within the hotel and whilst this in itself is not a problem, I believe Fairmont should be training their staff to a 4 star standard, so as to accommodate and serve guests to that standard.

Upon ordering at the bar a vodka and red bull in a tall glass with ice...I was told that i was a big girl now and he would bring the can and I could pour the red bull myself...whilst I have no problem doing this at a friends bbq...I think in a 4 star hotel and at £7.25 odd...a waiter could have poured it for me without the grief....I just laughed it off at the time...but upon reflection, I guess it bugged me. I also had a waiter at breakfast remove my plate whilst i was half way through....I had to wrestle it back from him...that will teach me to place my cutlery down between mouthfulls :-)

We decided to save our money and headed home a day early. If it were not for the fact that husband was attending a conference there, we would not have stayed that long. My husbands company were paying £210 per night and we did not see value for money at this resort, sadly we will not be returning. This hotel has the potential and location to be wonderful....but for now it falls well short.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank ollieandshirl
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We stayed at the Fairmont St Andrews last weekend and I can honestly say it was disgraceful. We had always visited the hotel when it was under the Chatau Elan umbrella, and it was then a truly beautiful hotel. This stay was a complete shambles, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, we were not offered a paper on check in I had to request my luggage twice before it arrived at my room over 35minutes later! The towels in the room were threadbare and very thin. Breakfast was a free for all and we were seated on broken chairs! When I went to complain there was no one who could deal with me! We checked out a day early and went to the Old Course hotel. If you expect high standards of service and luxury you will be dissapointed. This hotel has changed and is no longer a top class destination.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank skhs
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We decided to travel to St Andrews Bay Fairmont at the very last minute and indeed arrived quite late as we drove from Southern Ireland to Scotland. A last minute romantic getaway. Wow was it worth it! On arrival we were met by incredibly nice Scottish doormen. With that wonderful Fairmont 'bend over backwards' service. We negotiated at the front desk and got the executive suite for a very reasonable rate. The foyer is very welcoming as are the reception staff. Our suite was open plan very spacious with gorgeous sea and golf course views. Neither of us are really golf fanatics but we still had a wonderful time and ended up staying 3 nights because of the sheer pleasure. The hotel was very good but is soon to undergo Fairmont Refurbishment. The General Manager was previously in Fairmont Chateaux Whistler,Vancouver, B.C.and has created a wonderful similar ambience here. At the lovely clubhouse, gourmet coffee and a delicious menu makes for dinner with a panoramic view. The town of St Andrews is historic and stunning and is an absoloute must for anyone travelling to Scotland. The ancient golfcouse is worth a perusal home of the British Open. 'Chariots of Fire' had a famous beach scene filmed right outside the R&A Clubhouse. Fine dining is plentiful, do try the Indian restaurants too. A visit to the University chapel is a must especially for those interested in the Royal Family, as Prince William attended here recently. He also frequented the Fairmont, availing of its gym and spa facilities. The Fairmont free shuttle bus is a great way to see the town, throw in a decent tip and your driver is sure to give you a personal tour with many interesting stories. At the hotel bar a complete selection of fine wine is available as is bistro type dining. Do ask Adrian the young barman for his delightful concoction of cucumber, scottish gin and tonic. But go easy as this imbibement may go straight to your head. Yum!!
The locals are friendly and fun as are the pubs. You do not have to worry about a taxi as the shuttle will on request come and collect you at any ungodly hour...all part of the service! Leuchars the famous RAF airbase is very close and if you are lucky as we were you will see the very latest in military airplanes performing spectacular stunts. Take a drive to Dundee for shopping and lunch the bridge is very large and the city is historic. At the hotel club house we were told to take a spin in the golf cart to view their two lovely courses which was great fun. All in all a very romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pfj
Reviewed April 9, 2007

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. My partner and I stayed for a two night romantic break and we loved it. The staff are brilliant - above and beyond the call of duty!

Everything about our stay was excellent. Great room with an amazing bathroom, lovely food throughout the hotel, spa is excellent and the convenience of a shuttle bus to St Andrews.

If you are going to St Andrews and want to treat yourself then stay here.

Stayed: March 2007