“Love it”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed July 21, 2014

amazing hotel so comfy and very romantic we stayed one night had dinner in club house beautiful sunset and gorgeous food. Staff are exceptional throughout the hotel and really make a difference to your stay.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that you found our staff to be so friendly and welcoming. We strive to exceed our guests expectations and it is very encouraging and motivating to receive such feedback. I believe that it is thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such a warm and welcoming service, and I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with them.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another memorable experience in the future!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel deserves it 5 star status. The location and hotel are lovely. Rooms are comfortable and spacious. The pool area is good. I know there have been some criticisms of the policy of having children in the pool at set times but I found this to be a good balance between needs of those with younger families and those who like to get into a steady pace lengths in peace and quiet. Service was very good. Breakfast was excellent. We dined at La Cucina and the food was fine but not great. I had pre booked this because the menu was suitable and there was no menu posted online for the clubhouse. I did see this when we went for an afternoon drink there and for carnivores and seafood lovers like our family I think this would have been more enjoyable. Their most expensive dish was lobster at £30. Most steaks are around £27. Starters and desserts are around £7 and a 175ml glass of wine is around £6.50. You can see that your bill will quickly run up to quite a sum. You are paying 5 star prices for a 5 star location, hotel and service but the actual food quality and portion sizes don't quite match up. If you are going for a special occasion for a short stay or are a keen golfer then this hotel is worth it. If you are price sensitive, won't be making the most of the onsite facilities or are a bit of a foodie, then you really can get a better eating experience for a lot better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: You could ask for a seaview as some rooms face the sea and are high up enough to appreciate it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us. It is with thanks to our teams friendliness and professionalism that allow our guests to feel so welcome and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words to the team.

We set high standards for our cuisine and as a matter of course monitor our prices to ensure that they are in line with other five star establishments within Scotland. I am disappointed that your experience in La Cucina did not meet your expectations and I will certainly pass your comments onto the relevant teams to ensure that our guests dining experience are of the highest order at all times and that our prices continue to be closely monitored.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Lovely hotel in beautiful setting, perfect location.. Walk along the beach to st andrews is stunning. The golf course in good condition and very scenic. Breakfast fantastic with great variety.
Improvements needed when it comes to the following:
Room doors slam.. Forget about having a good night rest. It would be nice too if other guests could kindly be asked to keep noise levels down out of consideration for sleeping guests. Expect to be woken by slamming doors and laughing for the entire duration of the night.
Rooms need a deep clean.. Had to move a chair and it was filthy underneath. Hairs from previous geusts stuck to chairs and in the drawers. The bed linnen is stained from lipstick and mascara.
The spa fascilities will be getting a needed upgrade... Pity kids are allowed and so expect not to relax by the pool but have children screaming and running about. Other than the negatives, the location made up for it and we will probably stay here again in future.. Hope the hotel make some improvements.

Room Tip: Choose room with sea view or you wont like the hotel at all.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

I was however disappointed to learn of your comments with regards to the cleanliness of your guest room and the disruption caused by fellow guests. Should guests have issues with any aspect of the quality of our service or inappropriate behavior from fellow guests we welcome this being brought to our attention at the time to enable a prompt and successful response.

Fairmont St Andrews is a family friendly hotel. During school holidays Splash Times are in place and generally, the feedback from the majority of our guests has been positive. Whilst it allows our guests without being disturbed by children, it also allows guests with families to feel comfortable that their children are not disturbing fellow guests whilst enjoying the facility.

We very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Having stayed here about 6 years ago and enjoyed a first class experience, I have to say on this occasion the whole experience has been a little disappointing. The hotel facilities deserve the 5 star rating but the service has been far from 5 star. I have enjoyed far better attention to detail at hotels offering less expensive rates. I'll focus on a few positives. The location and surroundings are absolutely stunning and the hotel operates a regular free shuttle service to and from the town. Staff in general we're friendly and smart. The clubhouse restaurant served good food and the Kittocks Lounge is a great place to enjoy a relaxing afternoon tea or G & T. Now for the disappointing. Service in the breakfast restaurant was pretty poor, a request for a small pot of cream was forgotten, toast was soggy and staff seemed rushed off their feet. During an afternoon visit to the clubhouse lounge, we waited about 15 minutes to be served, but eventually I went to the bar myself to order some drinks. I was promised they would be with me shortly but another 10 minutes passed before I went back to the bar to chase up. They did eventually arrive! Housekeeping also seems to have declined somewhat, with towels left in the bath tub for replacement were just folded and left in place. A little thing, but biscuits were not replenished. It's a shame to remember these little things, but they are the often unnoticed things that add to the quality of a stay. It just appears to me that some corners are being cut at this wonderful location.

1  Thank mistermiggs

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

It is most disappointing to learn that we failed to meet with your expectations on this occasion. Our guests feedback is of great value to us and I shall address your comments with the relevant colleagues to ensure that we resume our usual high level of service.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary observations with regards to our beautiful setting and the friendliness of our team. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Excellent golf facilities. The golf courses are in great shape. Play from relevant tees to match your game. Trying the back tees can make for a long day. !9 th hole staff is very friendly and the service is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I was delighted to read that you found our courses to be in such great condition. It without a doubt thanks to the dedication and passion of our Greenkeeping team and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with them!

Likewise I am pleased that you enjoyed the welcome and service that you experience at the 19 hole!

I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time with us as much and we very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We have a semi view room with two queen beds which is very nice. The beds are super comfy and the bathroom is sooo nice! The pool and jacuzzi and steam room are amazing too. The steam room is infused with eucalyptus which makes it really refreshing and great for your skin. On your way out you'll go through the spa office with lots of fancy skin testers which are really nice on your skin. We went to La Cucina restaurant which wasn't that good. We had a free coupon for dinner but we wouldn't been mad if we had to pay for the small portions of mediocre food.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic experience with us and that you found the time to relax and unwind in our signature Spa!

We set high standards for service and cuisine and I was sorry to learn that your experience in La Cucina did not meet with your expectations. I shall certainly share your feedback with the relevant colleagues and ask that they to ensure that these are demonstrated at all times.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Top class friendly service. From prebooking restaurants both in the hotel and in St Andrews - we had everyone like clockwork for our group of 8 golfers staying at Fairmont. The concierge service was a pleasure - check them out.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that you found our staff to be so friendly and welcoming. I truly believe that it is with thanks to the teams friendliness and professionalism that allows our guests to feel so welcome and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with them.