“A good hotel but simply not 5 star” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont St Andrews

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Edinburgh
“A good hotel but simply not 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Fairmont Hotel does not have a top class bar or restaurant and without these could never be genuinely considered a five star hotel. Out of 1224 reviews on Trip Advisor so far, 596 (49%) rated the hotel as excellent with the remaining 628 (51%) rating the hotel as very good, average, poor or terrible. If fewer than half my guests rated my hotel less than excellent when as a five star hotel I should be striving for excellence in all areas then as a hotelier I would not be happy. The reality is that the Fairmont is a very good four star hotel and if it were regraded as such then you would have many more satisfied customers and many more positive reviews.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank F B
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at The Fairmont St Andrews.

To allow us to look into your experience further, please do contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com and we will be able to respond appropriately to your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I went for a night in December with family and the room was very nice and clean . I went for a swim in the pool it was brilliant especially with the sauna. I enjoyed my stay at the fairmont also food was tasty and lots to choose from.

Room Tip: Just have what whatever you get all rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you and your family had such a wonderful time with us and that you are still reminiscing such positive memories seven months on!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Had stayed at the Fairmont before but first time golfing. Lovely course, great day out and the same amazing service I have come to expect from this hotel. Cannot wait to go back. Great hotel!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that once again you had a wonderful time and found the service from our staff to be so exceptional; I will certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team. It’s great that on this occasion you were able to enjoy one our beautiful golf courses and I hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back to Fairmont St Andrews for yet again another wonderful break, where maybe you could experience our other golf course!
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The setting is spectacular. We did not even unpack our bags because we could not wait to take the walk along the shore.
The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. There was a Nespresso machine in our suite and shortbread cookies were left daily.
The breakfast was excellent- huge variety and delicious. I ate in the bar for lunch and enjoyed both the salads and the soup. The dinner we had in the golf club bldg was the best during our stay in St Andrews. We wanted to try the restaurants in town, but if I had to do it again I would have booked more dinners at the Fairmont. (I am a huge fan of salmon, and the salmon dish served at the Fairmont was one of my all time favorites.)
The staff is probably the top reason why we will return to the Fairmont. From the greeting at the door to the concierge to the cordial farewell by the staff, we were impressed by their friendliness and genuine interest in making our stay wonderful.
There is only one very small inconvenience. The Old Course and the downtown area are not walking distance. The hotel provides a shuttle service that drops guests off at 2 locations in town. In the evening, after 6pm, we took taxis. They are readily available.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and left looking forward to your return! I truly believe that it is without a doubt thanks to our staffs professionalism and commitment that allow our guests to enjoy such warm and welcoming experience with us and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially to those you mention!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here as part of larger wedding party ( Wedding at nearbye Rufflets Hotel, which was excellent !). I have had better service for a lot less. On a positive, the rooms are beautiful, the bed comfortable, coffee maker in room a nice touch, range of food at breakfast extensive, Davie at front door,welcoming. Beautiful setting , modern building, let down by weeds galore in all flower beds.
At times, felt like Marie Celeste, no one in spa/ pool to explain where to go, how to work out how to use locker padlock for unmanned pool . At breakfast, no one asked half of our party if we wished tea or coffee etc/ no dishes cleared . We always had to try and find a member of staff. An elderly gent in our group wished a boiled egg. He waited over half an hour for it to arrive, despite prompts... the delay... " they couldn't find an egg cup" .He eventually got eggs, without the cup . He just wished they had brought the eggs ! lol.
Arrived back from wedding, where approx. 30 if us went to the bar, then told the bar was shutting in 15 mins.( Bride had letter where she had verified, and was assured prior to stay, bar would stay open.). Eventually, the groom persuaded them to keep the bar to open for an extra hour. Groom had asked prior, if they could use a piano, as one of party was a musical Director..I understand it was to be £250 extra, as it would have to be moved.....
Our room sink was blocked, as was another guests's in our party. I pointed out missing roof tiles, which reception staff said they were unaware of.
Having stayed 4 nights ago, I am still trying to get the money taken in error from my credit card reimbursed......
When I stay at a hotel, I want to feel just a little special. At Fairmont, I did not.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank C7AMW
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great Service Food and very welcoming hotel in a special setting. Would definitely be back this year to stay at the Fairmont St Andrews felt completely refreshed and all the staff work hard to make your stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful relaxing break with us and you found our staff to be so welcoming. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
blackpool, lancashire, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have stayed here several times, both with family and friends, and on golf trips, most recently in June 2014. From arrival to departure, my party of 4 were looked after very well indeed. Check in and out was friendly and efficient.
The breakfast menu - buffet style service - is extensive, and the food always seems freshly cooked. My wife thinks the scrambled eggs are the best in the world! Our rooms were spacious and well appointed: I suspect in a building this size there is a rolling programme of redecoration and renovation (a bit like painting the Forth Bridge) so I suppose you could be unlucky or lucky in that regard, but I have never had a bad one yet!
The Torrance Golf Course (I only managed to play one Hotel course this year) is excellent in both design and conditioning: I am sure the Kittocks achieves the same high standard.
Above all, the Concierge Team made our stay memorable: as first time visitors, our travelling companions were totally blown away by the attentive staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they got the balance between friendliness and over-familiarity absolutely right.
Let's be honest, the Hotel is not cheap - but for a once a year treat you can't go wrong. I am already planning my golf trip for the autumn, and my wife and our friends are hoping to return soon as well.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the sea, others of the golf courses. The ones facing East on the Eastern wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and that once again you left with such positive memories! I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as without their dedication; hard work and commitment we would not received such wonderful reviews!

Thank you for your loyalty to Fairmont St Andrews we very much look forward to welcoming you, along with your friends and family back in the not too far future!