“Very good but could be even better”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for a birthday surprise and overall we were happy with the hotel, all the staff that we met were excellent but some of the hotel companies policies let it down.....cocktails served in normal nip glasses no flourish and nothing like the pictures that are on the menu when paying the prices they were asking and the 5 star rating I expected better. I was also disappointed in the buffet breakfast....again for a 5 star hotel I would expect a freshly cooked breakfast served to me not having try and keep my food hot while trailing around the table with everyone else, the cold food was lovely but the cooked food was cold and cloggy. We dinned in the Clubhouse one night and in the Squire the next both meals were excellent and Martin our waiter on both nights was exceptional. We used the pool and were glad to see that they had designated times for when children were allowed in so adults and families got the best out of the pool.
Overall a very good stay but could have been better with a few tweeks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us whist celebrating a family birthday and that you left with such a positive impression. I believe that it is with thanks to our staffs professionalism and dedication that assists our guests to have such an enjoyable time with us and I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words.

May I thank you for your additional observations; this is most helpful as we look to improve our

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We enjoyed an overnight stay in a junior king suite with our 8 month baby. The hotel itself is grand and well kept with a nice mix of classical/modern decor throughout. Our suite was perfect for us to use as a family through the day whilst my husband and I could retreat to the living room area whilst our baby slept in the bedroom from 7pm onwards. This allowed us to enjoy room service dinner which was cooked perfectly and presented in a lovely manner. We were in room 2104 and had an amazing view of St Andrews Bay and the golf courses.

One of the best things about the hotel would be the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Every encounter with a staff member was polite and friendly, each wishing us an enjoyable stay. We used the pool facilities and i wish now that I'd treated myself to a spa treatment as it was a wonderfully relaxing environment and perfectly clean throughout. The pool area has a lovely baby pool as well as swimming pool and jacuzzi. Again, impeccably clean throughout.

We only sampled the dining when having breakfast and again, no complaints. A good variety of fruits, cereals, cooked breakfast items etc, all replenished regularly as we dined. Again, staff were attentive and saw to our every need.

I'd highly recommend the Fairmont for a special treat and the midweek peacefulness was ideal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to post such a favourable review on Trip Advisor following you recent trip to Fairmont St Andrews.

We work diligently to ensure our service and hotel is of the best quality and exceed our guests expectations so it is delightful to hear such a wonderful review. I shall look forward to sharing your experience with the rest of the team!

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future where hopefully you will be able to fit a treatment from our Spa in!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We were lucky enough to receive an Itison voucher for a 1 night dinner, bed and breakfast at the Fairmont as a Christmas present. We will be thanking the donor profusely very shortly!
When we entered the resort we were blown away by the entrance, then the grounds (including two golf courses and a clubhouse), the views (across to Carnoustie and to the left, St Andrews) and then by the hotel itself. Magnificent building with a grand entrance. The hotel is so spacious it could easily house a large number of people without appearing busy.
We had a king size sea view room on the first floor of the hotel which was amazing. Very roomy with large bathroom and views over the golf courses and sea.
The hotel has a spa, pool, two restaurants (La Cucina - an Italian and The Squire - where breakfast and traditional dinner is served). There is also the Rock & Spindle that offers a pub like feel with sports TV, pool and darts as well as the Atrium which offers afternoon tea at weekends. In addition, there is The Clubhouse which was sadly closed for renovation when we were there but offers (I believe) drinks and food as well.
Concierge staff were spot on, great blokes with great humour and knowledge, whilst check in staff were equally great.
My only complaint during the stay was that was my wife's dinner (fish) was overcooked. The fact that it was presented like this by the chef and the fact that it took 5-7 minutes to get waiting staff's attention to advise of this did annoy. However a new dish was prepared.
The options for breakfast were extremely varied; water/ juices/ cereals/ cheeses/ cold meats/ fruit/ cooked options/etc. etc. More options than you need really but the Fairmont need to keep an eye on the cooked options as some seemed to be very dry/ overcooked or kept overly warm or long.
If Fairmont can resolve such avoidable issues then surely it will be the 'Gleneagles of the East' or even better.
Notes I would give are a) there is free valet parking at the hotel, b) there is a free courtesy bus to St Andrews leaving the hotel every hour from 09:00 until 18:00 and returning from the town from 09:15 until 17:15 - use it, it will save you a £9 plus per taxi trip! and c) you will find a copy of The Bay Weekly in your room which is a guide to what is on and where at the hotel.
Suffice to say that we enjoyed our night so much, and felt so relaxed and chilled, that we stayed an extra night.
Come on Fairmont, fix the niggly bits and you will be a true 5 star establishment with great dining.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to a sea view, it is worth it.
2  Thank Kelpiefan

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us; so much so that you extended your stay! I believe that it is with thanks to our staffs professionalism and dedication that assist our guests to having such an enjoyable time with us and I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words.

We set high standards for our cuisine and expect guests to receive our best standards at all times and I was disappointed to read of your dining experience. We do not expect anything less than a first class dining experience and I apologise that you had to endure service of food which required to be replaced.

Depending on the season, our restaurant and bar operating hours do vary and are available on our website. It would be usual practice to inform our guests at the time of booking and I am sorry if this was not demonstrated on this occasion.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Booked a local deal for a mid week stay at the Fairmont, arrived and recieved a warm welcome, a very quick check in process and made our way to our room. This was well appointed, spacious and very clean. Absolutlely no complaints regarding the quaility of the bedding or linens provided. Our room had a stunning view over the golf course to St Andrews. Only one comment take a tip from the Hilton or Sheraraton groups, their pillows are far more comfortable.
We went to the atrium to sit and have afternnon tea, only to find that the furnishings and general tidiness of the lounge area was quite poor. This was either due to a lack of staff, cleaning the tables and vacuuming or general poor management of this area. In general this area is needing new sofas, tables and chairs, most were looking tired and dirty. I appreciate we were a mid week out of season, but there is no excuse for piled dishes, or food on the carpets, stained and ring marks on tables.
Would have been nice to have used the Clubhouse for drinks and dinner, as it has been recommended to us as having spectacular views and a nice relaxed atmosphere, it was closed.
Lovely location, beautiful room, and a fantastic buffet breakfast, served by attentive staff.

2  Thank Houstonhowler

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews

I am pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your experience with us; however it is disappointing to read that this was not reflected throughout your stay. Our guests feedback is taken very seriously as we look to improve our guests experience. I shall certainly address your comments with the relevant departments to ensure that we resume our usual high standards at all times.

Thank you for your comments in relation to the pillows we offer. I thought that you may be interested to know for any future visits that should you wish, you can sign up to the Fairmont Presidents Club via our website that entitles you request your pillow preference.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary observations with regards to our staff; I believe that it is thanks to their commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such a warm and welcoming service and I will certainly look forward to sharing your feedback with them.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future where we can demonstrate our high standards.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Spent a night here to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary on the 25th of March. Weather was beautiful, so walked down to The Clubhouse to sit outside and enjoy a couple of drinks. Sadly that was not to be, as the Clubhouse apparently closes for the winter! I must have missed that on their website. No mention either by the receptionist at check in, or in our room. The room itself had a sea view which cost an extra £20, but was well worth it. Very comfortable, although some snacks either in the mini bar or in a vending machine would have been welcome. Disapointed to discover in the evening that the receptionist had not ordered a taxi to take us into town for dinner, as requested at check in. Apologies were given by the concierge who called ahead and let the restaurant know we would be a little late. The breakfast was the best thing about our visit. One of the best ever! Spoiled slightly by a dirty sticky table and several dirty cups. All in all a good stay, but this was an important event for us and I would have expected better from a Fairmont Hotel.

3  Thank fussyfran55
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

Whilst I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your room along with the spectacular views that it offers, it was disappointing to learn that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Whilst we do offer light snacks such as crisps and chocolate bars in the Hampers that are located in our guest rooms, should a guest not wish to purchase the hamper, a separate itemised pricelist is placed next to it and I am sorry that this was not clear.

Our guests feedback is invaluable to us and may I thank you for your additional observations; this is most helpful as we look to improve our guests experience and I shall certainly pass this on to the relevant Director to address.

Despite your experience on this occasion, I do hope that you choose to return to Fairmont St Andrews in the future where we can demonstrate our usual high level of service that we wish our guests to experience at all times.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is a lovely 5 star hotel in a beautiful setting and staff were friendly and helpful. We had an Itison deal which included dinner and breakfast, but unfortunately we missed the small print bit which said it had to be booked by a certain date, though we were still well within the voucher expiry date. As a result we were offered a room only deal at the discretion of the management. The hotel dining room was very quiet on the night (a Monday) and you would have thought they could have done with extra business (we would have had a bottle of wine and who knows what else......), but we had an excellent dinner in town at the Playfair Restaurant (reviewed separately). In the morning, rather than add two paying customers to the breakfast buffet, we enjoyed the leisurely 12 noon checkout and had brunch at Millers Bistro in town. We will go back to the Fairmont if it suits us, and in general we can recommend it, but be warned - if you book a deal of any kind, they play hardball on terms and conditions!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your posting a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us and you left with a positive impression. I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words!

All of our terms and conditions of the vouchers are highlighted prior to purchase and I am sorry that you feel otherwise. I am pleased that although you made your reservation following the redeemable date that on this occasion, we honoured the accommodation aspect of your voucher.

We very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had arrived in St Andrews for a 2 night stay, and were immediately put at ease (and laughing) by the charming Davie Johnston, who defines 'ambassador' for a great hotel. The best way to describe the hotel experience is "majestic". Rooms are classic Fairmont, with a Scottish twist. Our view of the Torrance golf course was perfect, as we had played the course while on-site. Andrew and the proshop team were fantastic. Highly recommend the hotel shuttle to St Andrews, unless you take the coastal walk to town. Concierge and Shuttle team are always accommodating, with a gracious Scottish smile.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea & golf course are breathtaking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to the General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to read your review reflecting so kindly on us and that we made your break so enjoyable. It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience.

I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews for another memorable stay!