“Scenic Scenario”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Great rooms, warm welcome and pleasant staff who seem to know what is expected of them. On arrival I was greeted very warmly and every assistance was offered by all staff who dealt with me from parking to registration at reception. A lovely, large and very comfortable room awaited me with a great sea view (although not all rooms have this view). The pool area was quite appealing but a bit lacking on atmosphere and the Jacuzzi was a bit on the small side for the amount of people who wanted to use it. I did not use the spa so cannot comment other than it looked very warm and attractive as you walk through it to get to the pool and get a glimpse of how it is. We dined in Squires restaurant and while everything was satisfactory I feel it was quite overpriced form what was received. I 'upgraded' to a steak which was good but not great and the extra £15 for the privilege was really not worth it. Next time (and yes I would go back) I would eat in the Italian Restaurant in-house or the bar rather than Squires. The breakfast is top notch and offers something for everyone end good quality food too. All in all worth it for the room and views but not the evening dining experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you so much for your posting a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to hear that you were made to feel so welcomed and enjoyed your stay at Fairmont St Andrews. I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words!

Thank you for your observations with regards to the prices in Squire. We do as a matter of course monitor our prices regularly to ensure that they are in line with other five star establishments within the area; however I shall certainly pass your comments onto the relevant team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here for one night, dinner, bed and breakfast and had a lovely time.

Every member of staff we encountered was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Our waitress, Michella from the Czech Republic, was a delight and made our dining experience an exceptional one. I could not praise her high enough and I’m sure she would be a great asset to any top-class hotel/restaurant.

The Squire Restaurant where we had dinner is a massive space but due to the ingenious décor and lighting it had a surprisingly romantic and intimate feel.The food was of the highest standard, well presented and delicious.

The choice at the buffet breakfast was extensive and although I enjoy choosing exactly what and how much I want to eat, I expect some individuals would prefer to be served at breakfast or at least have the choice of service vs self- service.

Our room was a deluxe, sea view and was everything you would expect from a quality hotel. The robes and towels were particularly luxurious, although surprised that there were no slippers.

The pool area was lovely.

Having stayed at a few top golf hotels including Turnberry and The Old Course and The Fairmont, St Andrew is definitely on a PAR!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe sea view on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to the General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and found our staff to be so helpful and friendly. I shall certainly look forward to sharing this with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've visited Fairmont several times now and got to say that the hotel never disappoints.

The rooms are decorated to a high standard (although in my opinion, the bathrooms could do with a re-fresh) and the beds are very comfortable. There is a huge selection at the buffet breakfast from healthy fruits and yoghurts to the not-so-healthy fried breakfast and chocolate muffins. The gym is a good size and has a good selection of equipment (for a hotel gym). We've always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

This was the first time we actually had an evening meal in the squire restaurant. I had emailed ahead to ask if they could prepare me a vegan meal. They said this wouldn't be a problem, but when we arrived the waiter seemed a little unsure of restrictions for vegans and I had to explain specifically what I could and could not eat. I explained that I had already emailed ahead and the chef was aware of this. I think this was maybe a misunderstanding between the kitchen and waiter. My boyfriend and I had three courses each. This was a fixed price of £29 each. My boyfriend enjoyed his meal (especially the lamb for his main course). My meal was fine, but I think £29 was quite expensive for what I had.

While I would stay at the fairmont again, I'm not sure that the squire would be my first choice for an evening meal.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to hear that once again you enjoyed your stay with us and you found your room to be comfortable and of a high standard and that you were made to feel so welcomed throughout ! I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words.

I was sorry that your experience in Squire did not meet with your expectations; our guests feedback is of great value to us and I shall address your experience with the team and ensure the appropriate measures are put in place to resume our usual high level of service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was expecting something a bit special at this price point and was dissapointed.

The trek from car park to hotel in the rain a bit tedious, the cigarette butt festooned driveway, leading to grand entrance with smudged mirror was all a bit grubby.

Check in process was not smooth, requested adjoining rooms at booking but none available on the day.

The Spa Facilities were very child and nudist friendly! Which may appeal or may not.....to be fair the staff did try their best to keep things covered! But it was more 'fun swim' than relaxing spa.

Rooms themselves clean and fresh.

Food hall was again tired, the food itself ok, but don't order steak, we ordered 6 between us not one cooked as ordered, also not of a decent quality to justify the price. Breakfast was a standard buffet. The smoked mackerel was a nice find.

Cocktails all good but be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait....not a slick process.

Overall an ok stay, but expect Holiday Inn not five star luxury.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

Our guests feedback is imperative to us andI was sorry to read that some aspects of your experience did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

We do offer a complimentary valet service and I was sorry to learn that you were unaware of this. We are very proud of our hotel along with its spectacular grounds and strive to offer our guests the highest level of comfort at all times; our grounds maintenance team does as a matter of course check the conditions of the grounds on a regular basis and for the benefit of all of our guests, we ask them to utilise the smoking area where cigarette bins are provided.

Likewise it is disappointing to hear that your experience at check in was not smooth; this is most uncommon and I am sorry for any frustration that this caused you.

We do encourage our guests to raise any concerns during their stay with us as we strive to ensure guests have matters resolved quickly and successfully, whilst residing with us.

May I thank you for the additional observations you made; we very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Attended conference staying 2 nights. Not a cheap option for a business trip but the Fairmont has always exceeded my expectations. Good food, well organised to feeding so many folk all at the same time. Good facilities in the breakout rooms - although could have used some more water & glasses on the tables to get you through those sessions.
The service during the set menu dinner was very impressive choreographing with each table all served by a small army of waiters delivering each course simultaneously. Also the main course was served piping hot. It is the small things that you appreciate when knowing the kitchen is challenged with serving 300 covers at the same time. The comparison with other Scottish business conference hotels is stark - who seek to yet fail to meet the same standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank gacks
Louise_Bennet, PA to Director at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor as a delegate following of a recent conference that was being hosted at Fairmont St Andrews.

Your feedback is both encouraging and motivating as we strive to offer the best service, cuisine and experience to our guests and you and your comments are very much appreciated.

I strongly believe that without the teams dedication and commitment we would not be able to offer our guests such a memorable experience with us and I am delighted to be able to pass on your kind words to the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Spent an overnight stay with my partner.A joint birthday treat from my daughter.Room was absolutely fabulous,The staff bent over backwards to please.A special mention to Sahba the waiter who served us at dinner his personality shone throughout our meal ,what a Diamond !!!!
Totally lived up to our expectations and more.

Room Tip: 3rd floor overlooking sea
1  Thank Robert D

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I was thrilled to read your review reflecting so kindly on us and to learn that we made your break so memorable. It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience and I am delighted to share your feedback with the team; with a special thanks to Sahba!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Fairmont St Andrews for another memorable stay!

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

The Fairmont at St Andrews exceeded all my expectations. From the lovely and friendly staff to the incredible breakfast and beautiful bedrooms - it was perfect.

We were visiting with a large party for an important birthday and the hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure everybody had a fantastic time.

The bathroom was particularly luxurious - a huge bath tub, gorgeous products, underfloor heating and soft fluffy towels and robes.

I can't wait for my next trip to The Fairmont St Andrews!

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a fantastic time with us and we exceeded your expectations, allowing you to enjoy the special birthday celebrations with your friends!

It so important to us that we do everything possible for our guests, ensuring their time with us is so memorable; I am delighted that we have demonstrated this to you and your friends on this occasion. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.