“up to fairmont very good standard”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Stirling, United Kingdom
“up to fairmont very good standard”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Large comfortable room with very good ensuite.Evening meal good but rather overpriced for what it was. Breakfast was fine but tables very close together.Obviously aimed at golfing market and facilities appeared very good

1 Thank ranmor23
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Many thanks for sharing your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews and posting a review of Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to be to your liking and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your comments with the team.

It is important to us to ensure that our prices are in line with other five star establishments within the area and I can confirm that this is closely monitored; however I will certainly pass your comments onto the relevant team.

I would like to thank you for your observations with regards to the layout in Squire; I shall raise this with the Director of Food and Beverage and ask him to discuss with the team allowing them to consider your comments when making any future changes.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Been to the Fairmont St Andrews bay several times and always enjoyed our stay. Booked 2 nights B&B and was looking forward to another good weekend but was quite disappointed. With an 8 year old we were limited to where we could eat as the main restaurant didn't do children's menus. We had a meal in the bar (Kittoch) which was nice but nothing special. The "games" room, which should come with a map on how to find it, consisted of a rickety table tennis table with a burst table tennis ball, a pool table with ripped fabric & missing balls, an LED TV and dvd player and a games console. OK it probably got abused by children but come on. It's a supposed 5 star hotel! Only spent about 15 minutes there as that was all we could take.

On the 2nd day we arrived back at our hotel around 4pm to find that the room had not been attended by housekeeping (i.e. beds made & toiletries replaced etc). I contacted housekeeping and was told someone would attend straight away so left it at that and went our for the evening to St Andrews (Lego - the film). Thinking that "everything is awesome" we arrived back at the hotel around 8pm. the room had still not been attended to. I had to go to reception as there was no answer from housekeeping. They sent someone to "freshen up" the room as there was no housekeeping available. Definitely not the service we expected. Maybe the Old Course Hotel next time?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a golf travel booking through your golf travel. We got a great deal for 1 night B&B and 2 games of golf on the Torrance and Kittock. Check in for good at the hotel and the golf was excellent. 2 lovely courses that are both challenging particuarly in the wind but some wonderful views. Our room was great with a lovely bathroom and shower and very comfy beds. Breakfast was outstanding in the morning, so much choice and excellent quality. We both loved the buffet option as you choose what you want. We did not have dinner in the hotel instead going into St Andrews for Drinks and Dinner and the free shuttle bus into town was great and a very accomodating concierge called Tam gave us ideas on bars and places to eat, very nice man. We visited the spa and was only slightly disappointing as the pool and steam room look like they could do with some updating but all good and served a purpose. Overall great stay and will be back for more golf.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time share of your recent experience on Trip Advisor following you recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to help make and you left with such positive memories! It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience and I look forward to sharing your comments with them.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

The service was on the whole pretty good and the room was lovely. The courtesy bus which ran last time I stayed into St. Andrews finished at 6pm so we had to pay for a taxi there and back which was a pain. However, whilst that was an inconvenience the reason for my average rating is really the breakfast - 5* it is not. At this level of hotel I do not expect a Disney type hot breakfast where you can't distinguish between the haggis and black pudding and the hot food is stewed and warm as opposed to grilled/fried and hot. I then felt I was inconveniencing the chef when I asked for a poached egg - surly does not describe him and by the time I got it my stewed breakfast was cold. 5* should mean a hot fresh breakfast brought to the table.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane D
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.
hove
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My partner and I were gifted our stay at Fairmont and we decided to utilise this for Valentines. We were very much looking forward to having a nice Valentine's day spent in a luxury surroundings in a beautiful historic seaside town. Upon arrival we were greeted by the pleasing aesthetics of the building and its beautiful surroundings which convey that this is a prestigious hotel and atmosphere. However the next morning we checked out at 9am on a Saturday morning, because we could not bare to spend anymore time or money there and we were incredibly disappointed by the whole experience of staying at the Fairmont.

However let me start with some of the positives:

I am wheelchair user and I was able to access the building without any issues. The entrance has level access and assisted doors. There appeared to be lifts which allow access to various levels. The communal areas were very nice and we got check in quickly. The actual room we were given was clean and appropriate, with tea and specialist coffee options. Bath products were really nice. There was free parking facilities - although disabled bays were not clearly marked (I did not see any at the entrance).

The not so positives were:

The room:

The disabled shower in the room, was not appropriately equipped due to high level grab rail and a small shower seat which was unsafe, without having access to a grab rail. The shower seat was attached to the wall with cracked sealing (picture attached) and the floor tiling needed re-grouting. The toilet had very cheap toilet paper. The sink bowl was too high and very small for a wheelchair user and I could not see my face at all in the mirror (see picture).

In terms of comfort - the bed and seats were very comfortable. Although, during the day we were disturbed by a member of staff who knocked on the door and came into the room to place a fluffy toy for sale on the TV stand!

Evening meal:

We decided to stay at the hotel and have a romantic meal in their restaurant which was very busy. We managed to get a table for 9.15pm and we chose our meal from a very limited menu (the vegetarian options were not good - roasted rosemary veg.. Appetising!). The poor waitress was so over worked, that night, she had forgotten our order and had to come back and ask us to repeat the order again. We then started getting bread with oil/vinegar, before our starter and the bread plates and small condiment jugs stayed on our table until we ordered dessert (see picture - main meal with a pile of plates on the side) and we had to ask for it to be taken away...

Lack of sleep and Faulty Air Conditioner

That night my partner and I did not get any sleep due to the faulty air conditioning, which loudly rumbled away, incessantly throughout the night. This was despite having liaised with reception at least 3 times, around midnight. This problem was never resolved, as we kept being told by a man (who sounded very inconvenienced by our calls) that they were switching it off remotely, or blaming the issue on the water boiler system which was going to be turned off. Because of the attitude of the receptionist, I felt too intimidated and exhausted to keep arguing with him.

At 7 the next morning I rang reception again to inform them that considering it was a Saturday morning and we would have preferred a lie in - we were still up and very unhappy about not getting any sleep because of the air con. We then went down for breakfast and we were the 'first' and 'only' people in the hall at around 7.30 and it was clear that food had been sitting there for half an hour and was going dry. I also got coffee which tasted weak and awful and I had to ask for another - the least I wanted to get at that point was decent coffee to keep me functioning after a terrible night! Shortly after this we decided to vote with our feet and just left the place as we had enough of bad customer treatment. We complained again at reception about the previous night and the receptionist only re-iterated what had been said before, that it had been switched off remotely. We did not feel believed - until a duty manager called us later on Saturday and confirmed that he had checked out the room and found we were right all along. He was empathic and related that it was no wonder that we had a difficult and restless night there. He stated that he would have to speak to his manager to get in touch with us. However we have not heard anything since.

In conclusion, we experienced anything but 5 star treatment at the Fairmont. Our little romantic break was ruined through not only the lack of sleep - but also the lack of attention to detail and poor customer care.

5 Thank zohra b

scotland
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Out favourite haunt and we celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary 2 weeks ago. We stayed 2 nights and as always the service was great. Thank you Martin our waiter at breakfast who was so efficient and friendly. The star was Rhea who served us cocktails and dinner. What a lovely girl and great cocktail maker. I had a Caesar made with Climato which my best friend who is Canadian swears is the best. Not only did Rhea make as fabbie cocktail but was able to tell us where we could source it in St Andrews. Martin and Rhea's Mum's should be so proud of 2 lovely young people.

2 Thank scottiewanderer
Congratulations of your recent 33rd Wedding Anniversary!

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time with us whilst celebrating such a special occasion. It is without a doubt thanks to the high level of commitment and professionalism that our staff delivers that enables guests to feel so welcome and leave us with such positivity. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially to Rhea and Martin!

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our second visit to the Fairmont St Andrews. We were there for three nights and although we thoroughly enjoyed the break we felt that it didn't quite live up to its' five star rating. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and our room had everything we needed. However, we were told, on booking, that we would get an upgrade if available or a bottle of wine on arrival. Being Valentine's weekend no upgrade was available but I had to phone down to reception twice before a bottle of wine was delivered to our room - an hour and a half after we were promised it! We dined each evening in the main restaurant in the beautiful light and airy atrium. Again, the staff were very friendly but I felt that the service was rather chaotic. One person took the order but others delivered it. Indeed, I think we had four different "servers" during the one meal! I couldn't quite work out what was going on! On the last evening my wife's Perthshire lamb was tough, sinewy and quite inedible. I complained and she was offered another main course which she didn't want. The bill was, however, adjusted accordingly, but one doesn't expect this at a five star hotel. On a more positive note, the buffet breakfast was as good as I've had anywhere. I would also agree with other reviewers that some of the finer points were missing, but I did appreciate the linen napkins at every meal. If this was a school report I would say "good but could do better." Having said all that we definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sea view.