“Just Beautiful”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I had a short break in this hotel and found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and stylishly tasteful. The breakfasts were fabulous, with everything we were expecting and more. The staff were excellent and although the hotel is very large, there are many places therein that give the feeling of intimacy as well as comfort.

Room Tip: We just booked a standard room and could find absolutely no fault with it or its level of comfort.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us and post a reply on Trip Advisor.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you had such an enjoyable time with us!

It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience and I look forward to sharing your comments with them.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,408)

Reviewed December 11, 2013

As a hotel it is nice, as a 5 *hotel it is maybe just OK. The concierge and reception were friendly, pleasant and helpful; our room was a very good size, bathroom very also spacious. On entering the room I could seen drink stains on the glass sideboard top, ok things gets missed! I then noticed dust around the chrome base of the table lamp.

We were too late for the transfer bus, which leaves on the hour, so we took a taxi (£9) into St Andrews for the afternoon/evening. There are some lovely restaurants, bars and independent shops/boutiques in the town.

The breakfast in the hotel was very good, waiting staff attentive, clearing plates quickly, offering more tea, coffee and toast. The buffet breakfast selection was pretty good. My wife and I chose to have poaches eggs, so I went off to the “egg station” and orders 3 poached eggs, “3 poaches eggs” the cook exclaimed! I thought for a moment I was being quizzed by my father, who went through rationing during the 40s.

Is this the customer service of a 5* hotel or a Seaside B & B?

One other gripe while I’m at it, there were a number of guests wearing Onsies at breakfast, now I can understand the little kids wearing them, but adults - at breakfast – in a hotel??

My wife and I were on a “deal” and had paid a reasonable price for BB, I think if we’d paid full price I would have been pretty disappointed, but as a weekend away, with my wife and the location of St Andrews it was excellent.

If the hotel were to run a similar deal I would return, other than that I will try elsewhere next time in St Andrews.

After recently returning from 5* hotels in the Far East, I have to state this hotel falls pretty short of the mark as a 5 star experience, and can see why it is Trip advisor rated No. 6 in St Andrews hotels

4  Thank Colin_B58

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Having been a regular visitor since the hotel opened I was a bit wary of returning in light of some of the more recent reviews. Abs no worries this time as the staff excelled themselves in every department. From the brilliant front of house team (Dave, Kevin, Bob and Tam) to reception & bar & restaurant, every body went that extra mile to ensure our stay was a success. At no point over our three night break did we feel the hotel staff were under any pressure despite being fully booked on the Friday/Saturday....... they were cheery, smiling & unflappable!
Five Star.....In every department.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are an added bonus.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

Your comments are very much appreciated and certainly motivating as we strive to ensure that our guests enjoy their time with us. I shall certainly look forward to passing on your complimentary comments to the team, especially to those you mention in person!

Thank you for your loyalty over the years we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Ss Andrews in 2014!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and New Year

Reviewed December 9, 2013

What a gorgeous hotel, in a lovely setting overlooking to town of St Andrews which is only ten minutes away from town in a complimentary shuttle bus (running hourly for the morning and afternoon - would have been nice to have it in the evening too right enough) or under £10 in a taxi. Lobby/atrium is lovely. Visiting when we did the huge Christmas tree was lovely to see. Staff very friendly and rooms (standard double) were spacious, well decorated and cosy. As a pervious reviewer had mentioned they do still charge for the Wifi which is just not expected these days.
The TV had terrible sound, but we were there to watch TV anyway. We went out to the bar in the evening thinking that we would spend the evening there, however, it was rather quiet to start with and the cocktail menu (although nice and exotic) didn't do any of the old favourites, so we decided to head into town for a few. Popped back to the bar again later that night and it was more lively. Not a real hot spot for night life though.

We didn't eat in any of the restaurants, but the all look lovely and I would very much like to try Esperante at some point in the future.

A comfortable sleep (brilliant blackout curtains...had no idea it was as late as it was when I woke up!) and a lovely bath and shower. Breakfast was lovely too, though more choices of bread would be nice (just my preference).

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews and for your kind words across all of our departments!

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time and I look forward to sharing you generous words with the team; I believe that it is down to their commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to receive such a warm and friendly welcome whilst staying with us.

Should you wish, you can enrol as a Fairmont President Club Member via our website. This is free and entitles you to various complimentary benefits throughout Fairmont, of which you can enjoy complimentary internet usage.

Should a guest wish to enjoy a cocktail that is not on the cocktail menu, we will always do our upmost to meet our guests request where possible. I shall certainly pass your additional comments on with regards to the ambience of Kittock Den on to the relevant colleagues.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in 2014!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here for a nice 'retreat' before the full on Christmas rush! A huge hotel that was fully booked, hiwever, you wouldn't have known it was full! Xmas party night so majority of guests appeared to be attending this!
From arrival, Concierge/Valet Parking - optional, quick, efficient & professional check in, I had booked a 'double/double room and requested to upgrade to a Junior Suite for a King size bed, however, as the hotel was fully booked, this was not possible.
Room was large, 2 double beds, Nespresso Coffee machine, mini bar overlooked the Golf Course. Bathroom was extremely large, big corner bath, walk in shower, nice toiletries/robes etc.
Shuttle bus service into the town every hour, last transport 6pm from the hotel but 5.15pm is last pick up in town!
Approx £10 for a Taxi from town, if you wish to stay longer in town.
Bars in the hotel were quiet, once everyone who was attending the Xmas Party Night left, good service, great selection of drinks.
Breakfast was usual hotel Buffet style, hot and cold selection, good selection of fruits/cereal/fruit juice etc. Eggs made to order and quick/prompt and very courteous waitress service for toast/Coffee/Tea etc.
As it is Christmas, the Hotel is very tastefully decorated, appears inviting, without being over the top.
All in all, yes, we would definitely return, hopefully for longer the next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Double/Double room on the 3rd floor, overlooking the Golf Course. Large room a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and I am delighted to share you generous words with the team; I believe that it is down to their commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to receive such a warm and friendly welcome whilst staying with us.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just spent a wonderful Saturday night at the fairmont(7/12/13). Enjoyed a 3 course meal and stayed overnight in room 1015. Deluxe sea-view room had all mod-cons and was immaculate,spacious and top drawer in every way! Meal was superb and decent value at £25 each for 3 courses. The waiting staff were attentive and excellent without being over-bearing. Breakfast was served in the Squire restaurant and was also superb. Only complaint was that the sauna was not working! After spending a freezing afternoon in St.Andrews,was so looking forward to a sauna, but otherwise a great way to spend a Saturday night in December!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room. Great views to clubhouse,beach and beyond.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your very kind words on your recent visit to the Fairmont St Andrews.

It is very encouraging and motivating to receive such feedback as we strive to meet our guests expectations and ensure you have such a memorable experience with us. I believe that it is thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such positive experience with us and I am delighted to share your feedback with them.

I was sorry to hear that you were not able to warm up in the Sauna following in chilly afternoon in town; I can confirm that this matter has since been rectified.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Ideal for a couple of days' relaxation with its spa, Squire restaurant, comfortable bar and bedrooms.. A great sense of space and tranquillity with great views from the Atrium towards the sea. The concierge service was particularly helpful. On occasions, the single reception desk in use meant a bit of a wait, and at it is worth checking when booking spa treatments in advance whether they do indeed consist of what the title implies. But we will be back!

Room Tip: See when you book if you can be waitlisted for a standby upgrade to a Junior Suite; ask for a room f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and you left with such a positive impression. I truly believe this is thanks to our staff and I shall certainly look forward to packing your kind words on.