“Outstanding!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing. From the minute you enter you are feel welcome. We stayed in a suite on this occasion, and it was spectacular. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Sparkling clean, and gorgeous decor, the room felt like pure luxury. Everything you could need was in there, I felt like I was in a NewYork appartment.
We had dinner in the Squire restaurant, and it was absolutely fabulous. Breakfast was great too, with an excellent choice of really good food, and helpful staff.
The pool area is lovely, again, sparkling clean. The only thing we encountered, was the splash time for kids seemed rather lengthy, meaning the pool was heaving and noisy the whole time we were in. The splash time didn't end until 6pm, by which time I had to leave. This is a matter of opinion though and I have nothing against wee people having fun, It just wasn't very relaxing. There was a great choice of goodies for the kids to play with.
Check in and check out was smooth. We have stayed at the hotel twice and both stays were a great experience. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I was thrilled to read your review reflecting so kindly on us and that we made your break so enjoyable. It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience.

I am delighted to share your feedback with the team and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Fairmont St Andrews for another memorable stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Rothbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is no way a world class experience, however a nice place to visit with on the whole superb staff. Many of whom were exceptional. They will be named! This place is a about 2.5 to 3 hrs from home. They welcome dogs, that's either going to put you off or get you excited! We chose the hotel because they welcome dogs and our "West Highland" was desperate for a break! After a hard winter with deep snow and only her ears sticking out she needed a break. So "Heather" went for the first time in her life "Five star, and in a lift!" When we arrived we were kept waiting for quite sometime after the room was supposed to be ready. To fill in the time I went to the bar and got a round of drinks in. The guy that checked us in was called Josh, he was superb. Apparently an undesirable guest had smoked, Yes smoked in the room. As you know in the UK that is a capital offence punishable by a life long supply of "happy meals". And an alternative room had to be found. Josh was horrified that I had bought drinks and immediately refunded them, "good start" Then Tam ushered us to our Deluxe "Double Double" with sea view. Top floor as well! To be honest my deluxe and other people deluxe seem to be poles apart but to most mere mortals it was a nice room. The bathroom was dated with a hideous border tile in green running it.s entire circumference (as it should) I sell bathrooms, I know these things and for once there was room to swing a cat even if it had been blessed with an exceedingly long tail! It;s all good so far. Tam said we had an excellent room and you could see the rain coming from 5 different directions! It didn't rain though sun sun and more sun made this a wonderful few days away. The view was charming. St. Andrews looked like it had been painted on a canvas and you could reach out and touch it. Beautiful ancient towers and spires, like on a movie set but you know what you are looking at is fake. In this instance it wasn't. We had 3 nights of wonderful sunsets. Apparently unusual in these parts, so don't book your hols on this basis! We intended to eat in all restaurants, Squires in the Atrium, (no heart, too like having dinner in the grand canyon.) Breakfast was enough. (We will come back to that in ridiculous detail later) Esperante only opened Wed til Sat. So we intended to dine there Wed night. We ventured down to the "Club house" about ten mins walk at the most and maybe 300 yds or so from the cliff tops. My only gripe with this venue was a couple of flat screen TV's at either end with no sound on and you are constantly distracted by the tele and whats going on as they had the subtitles running. "Switch these off at night" The food was a sensible price, good quality throughout our stay and the drinks expensive but not daylight robbery. It was so good in fact that trying to bribe the kids into St. Andrews for other delights failed miserably and we decided to eat there for the duration. Then came the "dun dun durr," 1st breakfast. We ventured down in to the spectacular atrium, Greeted and seated as you would expect. A typical, normal, non orgasmic buffet lay ahead totally predictable in every respect, nothing more, nothing less then were were expecting. A hotel buffet is what we expected and a hotel buffet is what we got. However! the coffee was apparently being in flown in from Columbia by private jet as was the Ceylon tea from Colombo. Unfortunately they were on the same plane! Both arrived 10 mins after breakfast, along with the eagerly awaited toast which by all accounts had also been on a cir-cum navigation of the world. We waited so long I even considered going to the room for a shave! Even my 13yr old actually said "Dad this is chaotic" It was! Day two was another fab club house meal with attentive service from Jonathan Aird ( Wake up Fairmont) real potential here! Day two began with another breakfast in "Squires" the atrium restaurant. Again seated and greeted as you would expect for a few hundred quid a night and the chaos went in to over drive. I wain at the thought of having to tell you all this but I need Chardonnay and I will continue. Back in a Mo. Bugger no Chardonnay, Prosecco it is then, here we go! For once in my life I fancied an omelette, with, bear with me, jalapeno's, cheese onion and of course eggs (LOL) I queued (american version "waited in line") for a decade or so as the chef ran out of cheese. So what, lots of cheese out back. I said please prepare me an omelette like I have requested and put it down so I can reach it once your cheese has been replenished. I don't mind it going cold. I returned to my table over yonder hill where I foolishly expected to find the Tea and Coffee. We had been asked what we would like shortly after being seated, as it should be. It did not arrive, I went back to find said omelette and there was no sign of it, even others were being served before me, patience!. I returned to my table by Yak and then cable car to find no Tea or coffee or toast. Most folks would have just gone for the "Buffet" but I wanted an omelette and being diabetic I would not drink any juices on offer, " I NEED CAFFEINE NOW" Today the Tea, Coffee and toast were not on a private jet but an interplanetary craft instead due in from the planet Zog in 2 light millennia. After a full 25 min wait I, as we say around here "Spat my dummy out" Americans will know this item as a "Soother" Ya stick it in a baby's face to shut them up. I stormed out and told the girl that seated us that I was off to St Andrews for a proper breakfast. She did in her defense offer a meeting with the FBM. Come on! Food and beverage manager! You all knew that, didn't ya, I declined, as I would have made a fool of myself and him (too much of a temper) I await to this day for an apology, my room No. was asked for and given. Other members of staff that had looked after us in the Club House were attending breakfast and noticed us leave. They later said that the squires restaurant was fraught with difficulty and there had been many complaints.
On the other hand if you love golf then you will be in seventh heaven. super views over St Andrews bay, a very well equipped gym, one frequented by HRH Prince William (he was a member) a warm pool for once and a hot Jacuzzi. Yes not luke warm, hot. Nice Spa, generally accommodating staff, Andrew, another outstanding one and Scott Francis was exceptional. One tip would be to clear tables quicker as we sat at some for up to an hour with the previous guests stuff including crisp packets on the tables , club house and atrium. One final tip would be this new year, a game of blind mans buff on the cliff top for breakfast staff in squires. Other than that, Smashing!!

Room Tip: High floor, east facing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fussyrob
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Before staying at this property I read reviews that reported this hotel as not meeting the standard for a typical Fairmont experience. Our initial impressions seemed to confirm that opinion. First, we checked in and received a handicapped room. I was told that I booked the room and it would not be possible to change rooms because nothing else was available, but for an additional 30 pounds per night they could accommodate my request. The issue with the handicapped room was simply the bathroom. It didn't at all fit the motif of the room/property and to me resembled a Motel 6 experience. Note to self: I booked on-line for a "wet-room shower only" room...Fairmont's code name for handicapped room. Live and learn. We had a couple other "sorry, not possible to honor your request" items from the front desk the first day. There was also a lot of confusion around their menus. They had in room service with something akin to spa cuisine...but none of the wait staff seemed to know anything about that. Now let's get to the overall experience. We stayed for 6 nights and had a fabulous stay. We came into contact with many...many wonderful employees. The Bell/Concierge staff knew us by name and anticipated our habits within the first couple of days. The Bar Manager Andor was the best. We were interested in learning about Scotch and he set up a tasting and spent about an hour with us talking about the various whiskey regions, techniques and distilleries. We followed his recommendations for a sip from a different area each night of our stay, leaving with an appreciation for the 5 distillery regions. The gift shop has a woman by the name of Carole who books tee-times and she was also great. She put me on the lottery for the Old Course every day and when the lottery inevitably didn't come through (we were there at the end of the British Women's Open) she would book us a tee-time elsewhere. Each day we received a nice letter letting us know we didn't get selected for lottery with a complete list of those selected for the day. She was clearly a golfer and loves she job! The last day I played the Torrence course there on property and really enjoyed the course. And throughout the week I enjoyed use of the spa/fitness center. Not your typical hotel gym. The Fairmont is not a cheap vacation idea...but we received great value. Our room (albeit not entirely satisfactory), full breakfast included, complimentary valet parking and internet, fitness center and good food options was a good value for us.

Room Tip: Be wary of what Fairmont means by "wet room shower only"
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that overall you found our staff to have such a friendly and welcoming manner. I truly believe this is down to our staffs commitment and dedication that we are able to make our guests feel this way and I look forward to passing on your kind words to the team, especially to those you mention in person.

I was sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room type, and that we were unable offer a complimentary upgrade. All of our rooms are of the same size and offer the same amenities; however they may vary in appearance depending on the type facilities you requested at the time of booking.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had a recent family break at the Fairmont where we have stayed several times before. This was to celebrate my belated 40th Birthday which had been postponed due to my being ill with cancer. We had invited both our sets of parents to join us in the Squire Restaurant for a 'special' dinner and to stay the night in the Hotel.
We were first of all disappointed with the choice on the menu. It took the waitress ten minutes to take our order and my son ordered off the bar menu. From the start the waiting staff were unresponsive and unfriendly. We were only poured our wine at the start of our meal,and had to serve ourselves for the rest of the meal. We weren't asked how we wanted food cooked i.e for a duck course and we weren't offered any drinks or asked if we wanted any extras with our meal.After our starters arrived, the main courses took over an hour to arrive! My ten year old's meal arrived a full 15 minutes after ours! Little apologies were made! My husband did complain at the time but no attempt was made to quicken the service. When our food arrived it was mediocre and we were very disappointed on such a special occasion! There was very little atmosphere in the restaurant and if it had been busy we might have accepted the slowness of the service! In such a great hotel we were so surprised and it really spoiled our trip.We were given our sweets and drinks for free but really a hotel of this standard should have been on top form, especially as my husband had made it clear why we had booked our meal AND paid for one suite for 4 nights and TWO deluxe bedrooms for our parents! - a very sad experience for all the family!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Carolyn C
harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night due to an overbooking at the guest house we were supposed to be staying in (many thanks Colin!). Loved it. The greeting from the concierges was lovely with lots of chatting about Tommo's Doc Martens! Tam in particular was really helpful. All of the staff we met were courteous and friendly. The room was amazing with everything we could have wanted and more. We had drinks before and after dinner in the bar and decided to have dinner in the clubhouse as it was a gorgeous evening and the view over the bay is spectacular. The food was good and not too expensive. Breakfast was knockout, a spectacular selection which was regularly replenished. I even got my favourite Lady Grey tea which is rarely available in hotels. Just can't fault it, it was a lovely lovely stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 day break from the fairmont and was left disappointed by a few things this is supposed to be one of the best hotels in St. Andrews but standards are slipping from our last visit,but they always have excuses went for breakfast on the 2mornings we were their to find queues waiting for breakfast and staff taking your name and calling you when a table became available granted they had juice, coffee at the side of the restaurant but you had to serve this yourself the main reason you have to wait is due to not having enough staff on the Wednesday the restaurant was full with between 150 to 200 guests and only 8 members of staff who to their credit were rushed off their feet serving and trying to clear tables but I'm afraid it was impossible due to the numbers that they were ever going to manage eventually their must have been some sort of management in- house training course on and someone made the decision that they should help the existing staff .when we were checking out today the bill was put through the door on looking at the bill their was a charge of £30 under the heading miscaleanous brought this up at reception to be told that it was a charge for staying the weekend told them we stayed wed&thurs and these 2 days aren't at the weekend which they agreed and took the charge off the bill which to be honest should NEVER have been on it in the first place what kind of staff / system do they have in place that doesn't know Saturday and Sunday are the weekend ,I see from a previous post that the hotel has a new general manager may I suggest a bit of hands on is needed.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kosampler
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights recently, and were very impressed by the standard of the room. Staff were very friendly, and the views from the golf club house are amazing. We used the shuttle bus to St Andrews on the second day,and had a lovely meal in a local pub. Breakfast was buffet style with more than enough to eat, although it did get a bit busy at times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple