“Very pleasant stay”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight dinner bead and breakfast stay at the Fairmont and both had a really good time.

We stayed in a superior room with a sea view and found it clean, spacious, well fitted and very comfortable.

The hotel itself is huge and modern, the atrium area is very impressive, everywhere was spotless, all the staff we dealt with we're very pleasant and helpfully and the whole place had quality feel to it. Despite this however the atmosphere was such that you felt at ease and relaxed and could just as happily wander around in a pair of jeans and a jumper as you could in trousers and a jacket.

We arrived a good couple of hours before the 4 o'clock check in and were fully expecting a wait for our room but we were very pleased to be checked in with no wait at all and our room was ready and waiting for us.

We used the hotels pool, sauna, steam room etc etc and they were also spotless, fully working and very relaxing. Locker rooms were well fitted out with plenty of nice soft clean towels to use.

We had a drink or 2 in the hotels bars and they offered a wide range of drinks in a relaxed atmosphere, again staff were friendly, prices not too scary at all for a hotel of this quality, from memory a pint of beer was about £4 and a schnapps and lemonade was about £6 which isn't bad given the surroundings.

We ate in the Squire restaurant and the food and service were excellent. The food itself was varied and was fancy enough to be a bit of an occasion but not so fancy that the menu left you feeling daunted. I'm a big eater and needed the 3 courses to feel full, my wife is not greedy like myself and even she said an extra few mouth fulls would have gone down well. Everything we ate was cooked perfectly and the main part of each meal (the steak, pork etc) was lovely and generously portioned. The only slightly negative aspect of the meal was the wine prices, prices start at about £21 a bottle, the wine list was good don't get me wrong, but I know a little about wine and the mark up seemed a bit high. We may well have had a 2nd bottle had that not been the case and sat chatting in a comfy seat somewhere while drinking it - note to food and beverage manager it's maybe better to make slightly less g.p. per bottle but sell 2 of them.

Breakfast was In keeping with the rest of our stay and was hard to fault. I cant think of anything that i wanted to eat that they didnt have. Food was served mostly buffet style appart from eggy things, poached, boiled, omelettes etc are cooked to order by the chef. We had a couple of different types of eggs,poached and fried, and I know its only an egg but I have to say they were lovely and cooked exactly as requested. I have never been so full or content after a breakfast before, it was spot on.

If I had to be hyper critical and nit pick about our stay at the Fairmont I would struggle but i know you all want to hear the negatives so you can say it was a balanced review so here goes , the hash browns are not crispy but are soggy because of the dome they are stored in (I think it must trap steam in there or something), I had a dirty teaspoon which once I mentioned to the waitress was changed with a sincere apology within about 30 seconds. That's it. That's all I could fault the place on, and I like finding fault in things.

We really had a nice relaxing time at the Fairmont and rest assured if they do the same groupon deal again I'll be buying for sure. It was a really nice treat and because of the groupon deal it didn't hurt the pocket too much either. Note to reservations manager - please run this deal again I'll buy for sure, as will some of our friends now.

Well done to all your staff, thank you for a friendly pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LPKLPKLPK
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. In addition, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Garrett Turta

Write a ReviewReviews (3,410)

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Visited the hotel for a spa day and was very disappointed. In entering the pool area it had no luxurious feeling about it ( I have visited better public swimming pools).The area just looked tired as if it needed painted and loungers needed to be replaced.
• Waste paper baskets in the ladies toilets overflowing with paper towels.
• Pools of water round the pool which were very dangerous as people were slipping.
• Relaxation room cold, treatment room in the morning was not very warm.
• Jacuzzi very disappointing as it was the same temperature as the pool
• Green loungers around the pool looked shabby.
• Sauna and steam room were very small.
I have visited many spas over the years and I have to say this has been the most disappointing experience of a spa day/weekend I have experienced.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our Spa. It was very disheartening to hear your comments on our Spa Facilities as we usually receive very positive responses regarding this area and our overall Spa experience. That being said we are undertaking renovations to our Spa area in the next few weeks to further enhance our offering. We are known for and provide a high level of detail and service and we will continue to enhance our product.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We were looking for a simple overnight stay in a decent hotel after Christmas and New year and we found it in the Fairmont.
Check in was swift although the hotel wasn't that busy. We arrived earlier that the 4pm check-in time(that's a bit late) but our room was ready.
The room was very nice, comfortable bed and great view. A couple of negatives about the room was that there were no robes or slippers. The water pressure for the shower was poor and the beer selection in the minibar wasn't great.
We went downstairs into the atrium for afternoon tea. It was a bit of a mixed bag. It tasted great but there was only 4 small sandwiches, 3 scones and 5 cakes. Who sits down to 8 cakes??? Surely more sandwiches and less cakes would have been a better balance.
We had our 2 year old son with us and fortunately there was a games room for him to play in and the atrium is huge so he was able to run about a bit.
The hotel is a bit away from st Andrews town but I believe there is a hotel bus that goes back and forth.
We went for dinner in the main restuarant. My wife liked her food but I felt it was very average. I could not fault the service which was first class.
Breakfast in the morning was a highlight with everything you could think of available.
We also used the pool which was really nice.
All in all we had a great stay with a couple of minor niggles and would return to the hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank BigAlfife
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed for the weekend in Jan and most things abut our stay was fantastic. 2 things took place which in effect spoilt the stay. The management are simply not thinking how customers feel. We stayed in a suite and for the equivalent fee we could have had a week in Spain. This would be fine and I would have been totally happy with this. After spending this amount the hotel were looking for me to pay for wifi (£18) for 24 hours and (£12) for a supplement for taking smoked salmon at breakfast. I raised this when paying the bill but the staff just acknowledged the issue but did nothing about it. Everything about our 2 day stay was great. It really is a great hotel spoilt by silly annoying charges.

• Stayed: January 2012

It was very pleasing to hear that your stay was fantastic, however it was very disappointing to hear of the additional charges that you incurred. We do have a charge for our internet and we are looking to revise this shortly to ensure we are not charging more than everyone in our local area. With regards to your breakfast, it appears an error has occurred as there is not an extra supplement on our Smoked Salmon breakfast. Please contact me personally so I can have this resolved for you. We do look forward to having your return to Fairmont St. Andrews in the near future.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

We stayed here just after the British Open (when it was at St. Andrews). Our trip had started badly - cancelled flights, lost luggage, rude airline representatives - so we were a little worn out when we arrived. The staff immediately assisted us with the airlines, and could not have been nicer.
The roooms were lovely. Mine was on the first floor, facing the front drive, so I was expecting to to be loud, but I had no problems with noise. The hotel is set out from the town, but there is a free shuttle that runs throughout the day into town with several drop-off and pick-up points. The staff was professional and very helpful with local recommendations. We didn't play golf at the hotel, but the course was impressive.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Fairmont St. Andrews. It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our team went above and beyond to assist with the difficulties you encountered while travelling. I will ensure your feedback is shared with them. We hope to welcome you back to Fairmont St. Andrews in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Fairmont is the only 5 star hotel that has a great knack of making everyone feel special

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed at the beginning of January this year using a groupon deal and I have to say everything about the hotel was great , except the experiences both on arrival and departure at reception . Both girls we encounterred at the desk were very frosty and not welcoming in the slightest . Every other staff member was lovely .
I am gluten free and I find it a bit of a nightmare to eat out . The hotel was fantastic and they provided me with gluten free bread both at dinner and at breakfast despite not being aware of my dietary needs in advance . The meal that my friend and I had in the evening was really nice and there was plenty of choice in the morning for both of us for breakfast including fully cooked breakfast , an eggs station , pastries and fruit .
The location of the hotel is very picturesque and we had a sea view room which was lovely to look out from , however having stayed at the old course hotel in St Andrews previously I think the location is just too far out from the centre of St Andrews which is a beautiful place itself just to wander about.The hotel layout is a bit back to front as the car park has its own entrance into the hotel which is the door most people will use , however you miss the beautiful main entrance so be sure to walk round .
The rooms were lovely with very comfy beds and were spacious enough .There are safes in the room . We struggled to work the TV and only managed to work the movie section . When we arrived our toilet was full of dark brown water , a quick call down to housekeeping and that was sorted within 10 mins . It happened again during the night so it is maybe something the hotel should look into . You do get a lovely large shower and seperate bath in the bathroom which is always a bonus .
We also had treatments at the spa which was lovely , I do prefer the spa at the old course however as the pool areas in the fairmont are a bit chaotic with kids running about . The staff in the spa were fantastic , on arrival there were no spaces for any treatments ( BOOK IN ADVANCE as I was quite disaapointed) however the gentleman called in another staff member early on the following day so that we could each have one treatment as it was my friends 21st . Have to say I was quite disappointed , most hotels of this calibre would post a wee card in the room saying happy birthday etc and the lady I spoke to on booking did make a note that it was a special birthday , but there was no acknowledgement at all other than in the spa .
Overall we had a lovely time , I would revisit however I'd maybe check if another hotel nearer st Andrews centre was available .

Room Tip: Try get a sea view room as the views are beautiful .