My wife and I have just returned from an overnight dinner bead and breakfast stay at the Fairmont and both had a really good time.
We stayed in a superior room with a sea view and found it clean, spacious, well fitted and very comfortable.
The hotel itself is huge and modern, the atrium area is very impressive, everywhere was spotless, all the staff we dealt with we're very pleasant and helpfully and the whole place had quality feel to it. Despite this however the atmosphere was such that you felt at ease and relaxed and could just as happily wander around in a pair of jeans and a jumper as you could in trousers and a jacket.
We arrived a good couple of hours before the 4 o'clock check in and were fully expecting a wait for our room but we were very pleased to be checked in with no wait at all and our room was ready and waiting for us.
We used the hotels pool, sauna, steam room etc etc and they were also spotless, fully working and very relaxing. Locker rooms were well fitted out with plenty of nice soft clean towels to use.
We had a drink or 2 in the hotels bars and they offered a wide range of drinks in a relaxed atmosphere, again staff were friendly, prices not too scary at all for a hotel of this quality, from memory a pint of beer was about £4 and a schnapps and lemonade was about £6 which isn't bad given the surroundings.
We ate in the Squire restaurant and the food and service were excellent. The food itself was varied and was fancy enough to be a bit of an occasion but not so fancy that the menu left you feeling daunted. I'm a big eater and needed the 3 courses to feel full, my wife is not greedy like myself and even she said an extra few mouth fulls would have gone down well. Everything we ate was cooked perfectly and the main part of each meal (the steak, pork etc) was lovely and generously portioned. The only slightly negative aspect of the meal was the wine prices, prices start at about £21 a bottle, the wine list was good don't get me wrong, but I know a little about wine and the mark up seemed a bit high. We may well have had a 2nd bottle had that not been the case and sat chatting in a comfy seat somewhere while drinking it - note to food and beverage manager it's maybe better to make slightly less g.p. per bottle but sell 2 of them.
Breakfast was In keeping with the rest of our stay and was hard to fault. I cant think of anything that i wanted to eat that they didnt have. Food was served mostly buffet style appart from eggy things, poached, boiled, omelettes etc are cooked to order by the chef. We had a couple of different types of eggs,poached and fried, and I know its only an egg but I have to say they were lovely and cooked exactly as requested. I have never been so full or content after a breakfast before, it was spot on.
If I had to be hyper critical and nit pick about our stay at the Fairmont I would struggle but i know you all want to hear the negatives so you can say it was a balanced review so here goes , the hash browns are not crispy but are soggy because of the dome they are stored in (I think it must trap steam in there or something), I had a dirty teaspoon which once I mentioned to the waitress was changed with a sincere apology within about 30 seconds. That's it. That's all I could fault the place on, and I like finding fault in things.
We really had a nice relaxing time at the Fairmont and rest assured if they do the same groupon deal again I'll be buying for sure. It was a really nice treat and because of the groupon deal it didn't hurt the pocket too much either. Note to reservations manager - please run this deal again I'll buy for sure, as will some of our friends now.
Well done to all your staff, thank you for a friendly pleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a 520 acre estate with a unique coastal setting, Fairmont St Andrews has something for everyone. From lavish rooms to a luxurious spa, championship golf to exquisite dining, our five star attention to detail is unsurpassed. Enjoy the views overlooking the medieval St Andrews and the North Sea. Play golf on The Torrance and The Kittocks or wind down in our Fairmont Spa with locally themed treatments using the finest Ishga Skin Care products. Indulge in delicate pastries and cakes in our Savoy Afternoon Tea experience served in the Atrium Lounge with a rich colour scheme and nautical elements that reflect the surrounding landscape including a lighting installation by renowned artist George Singer. We guarantee your stay will become a treasured memory! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Fairmont St Andrews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont St Andrews Hotel St. Andrews
- St Andrews Fairmont
- Fairmont St Andrews St. Andrews, Scotland