“Staff couldn't do enough for us”
Review of Ardgowan Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ardgowan Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My sister and her boyfriend, and my mother and I stayed at the Ardgowan hotel last night. We arrived at about 12, knowing we couldn't check in until 2. However, the lady at reception dismissed that and went to check that our rooms were ready and the heating was on (it was snowing outside!) and let us in early. The rooms were lovely and homely, and the breakfast was great, with brilliant service by smiling staff. We couldn't fault the staff at all - they all went out of their way for us, and were bright and cheerful the whole time.

Would recommend it to anyone staying in St Andrews.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ArdgowanHotel, General Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.
We appreciate your comments and I will pass this along to the rest of the staff.
We hope to welcome you back to the Ardgowan in the future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel has good location in St Andrews, a short stroll to the Golf Courses or Town. We had a room overlooking the garden at the rear of the property which was comfortable enough but the bathroom was tiny. Hotel staff were pleasant and friendly.

We took the three night package which included dinner. Athough we could not fault the food or the service there were several items not available from the menu.

Overall excellent stay and we wouldnt hesitate to go back to the Ardgown the next time we are back in St Andrews.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
ArdgowanHotel, Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and our restaurant Playfair's.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the dinner you had with us whilst making use of our 3 for 2 stay offer.

I would like to apologise for the couple of items that we had run out of on the night of your meal. We spoke to our Head Chef and he had ordered in the usual amont of stock for a busy Saturday night. The night you had dined was particularly busy and certain items on the menu and our Chef's specials seemed to be more popular than usual early on in the evening.

If you do stay with us again please don't hesitate to speak to the waiting staff and request for them to put menu items on hold for you if there is something in particular you fancy.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Kind Regards,

Rachel McLachlan
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel is very close to the Old Course, but it is also very convenient to everything else in town, which makes it a great location overall. The St. Andrews downtown area is not big - you can walk the whole area in half an hour easily. There are many hotel and B&B options along the streets right around the Old Course, but only a small few within the rest of the downtown area. The golf hotels can be pricey, and we found this one to be a great value while still offering a nice full breakfast, nice en suite bathroom, lovely view and large, comfortable room. The desk staff were welcoming and helpful with restaurant suggestions and map guidance. The room was a little dated (not vintage), but was still very comfortable. I slept well, and the bathroom was decent sized for Europe (tub!). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After a fabulous dining experience at the hotels restaurant (Playfairs) earlier in the year, when some friends of mine came to town I recommended that they stay here. The location is right in the middle of town, and definetly the closest independent hotel to the golf courses, which suited the girls and the guys. Even though I am a local, I decided to stay too (as a treat!) so we could all be together!
What a lovely warm and welcoming, friendly hotel!
The boutique rooms had recently been refurbished to a very high standard and were spotlessly clean as well as being cosy and comfertable. The beds were utterly delightful to sleep on too! I might move in!
The service and staff were also great, the assistant manager, Rachel, and the manager, Gary, in particular! They could not have gone further to help us enjoy our stay- calling taxis, booking restaurants etc. After breakfast one day (which was delicious of course) we even met the head chef, Duncan, who came out to check that the bacon butties were up to scratch! He even took some of my friends bacon and 'crispied' it up for her! As you can probably glean from my
review, this hotel offers an incomparable level of personal service and by the time we left we knew most of the staff names and felt right at home, something you definatley do not get at the big chain hotels.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to people wanting to stay in St.Andrews. I cannot speak highly enough of it! Stay at The Ardgowan if you want to have a fantastic time!

Room Tip: Ask Rachel or Gary, they will definatley do everything they can to accomodate yoyur needs!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review.
It is always nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated. I will pass your comments to Rachel and the rest of the staff.
We do hope you will return to The Ardgowan.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Smack in the centre of St Andrews, this is an attractive hotel with a good restaurant (great steaks) and bar. competent and jolly service.We had a good room at the back, though the bathroom was very pocky and musty smelling. The hotel would even look better if they redid the lounge which right now looks a bit like out of a backpacker's hotel.
So good value for money, though it is according to my husband classification a "no-soap" hotel: ie. minimal toiletries, and only shower gel /shampoo dispensers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ArdgowanHotel, Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review with honest feedback, it is always so nice to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay. I’m sorry to hear that the bathroom was not up to standard, I will pass this information onto housekeeping to ensure this does not happen again.

Regarding the reception area we are just about to start renovation of it next week to make to match it up to the style of the rest of the hotel so it will now have a ‘modern, boutique, Scottish’ feel throughout. Along with this we are also updating some of our bedrooms. The hotel is continually trying to improve itself to make sure our guests are impressed and happy with their accommodation. So hopefully the next time you stay with us the hotel will look very different!

Kind Regards,
Rachel McLachlan
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Fabulous! Young lady that checked us in was not only helpful, I believe she was genuinely concerned. Helped us with numerous plans. The rooms are lovely, clean and comfy. We ate at their restaurant which was superb! The location is walking distance to literally everything. If you are planning a trip to St Andrews, and I would if I were you, plan to stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Julie46804
ArdgowanHotel, General Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a lovely review.
We value guest feedback, and it is always nice to read positive feedback.
I am glad our front of staff helped make your stay a pleasant one.
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked at very short notice for a trip with my daughter to the University Open Day.
The room was exactly as described, compact, clean and functional.
The staff throughout the hotel were helpful and polite and the breakfast was wonderful.
£78 for Bed and Breakfast in such a smashing location in the heart of St Andrews was what I consider something of a bargain.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
ArdgowanHotel, General Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Ardgowan. I hope that your daughter enjoyed the Open Day and if she does decides to study at St Andrews we hope to see you at some point in the future.