“A home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Glenderran Guest House
Ranked #3 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2007

The Glenderran was our second and final stop in our Scotland vacation. It was just the perfect place to finish up our vacation. We arrived a little late but Ray greeted us at the door like we were old friends! The room was quaint, modern, clean and spacious. Our breakfasts were all so special.
My wife loved the pancakes which were more like crepes.
But the thing that made the Glenderran House so special was our hosts Maggie and Ray. We felt like we were visiting family right from the beginning throughout our whole stay. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Maggie and Ray for their hospitality.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank GeneTLongIsland

Reviewed June 21, 2007

We went to St Andrews for a graduation and I am sad to say that I found the owners a bit unfriendly! I had booked 2 rooms for two members of our party. The person that arrieved first phoned us when we just got out of the plane at 6 pm and told us that we had to be in St Andrews before 7 as the staff wanted to go home! !!We told him it was impossible and we told him that no one told us that we had to be there at that time.
When we arrived I was called to the guesthouse ( I stayed in another guesthouse) to explain why the person in the guesthouse was not the person I had booked the room for. I felt like a disobedient schoolgirl (I am 59) and this was the first time ever I have had such a reception at a hotel. I have booked hotels all over the world for myself and others and no one had ever asked me for a reason if I changed a name??
After that the girl who should stay in the room where told not to make a lot of noise in the evening (she is 25!).
I made an agreement to come and pay for the rooms the day before our departure. At that day one of the members of our party (a young girl) had a death in her family (her mother ) and I had to take care of her and send her home. This was priority number one for me and when I arrived at the Guesthouse at 2 pm the staff had gone home. I went back 4 times that afternoon/evening but no one was there. When I arrived in the morning the next day I felt like the disobedient schoolgirl again. I explained the situation but I got no understanding at all. I even felt that they suspected that I had tried to escape from the bill!!

I think the rooms was ok but I will never recommend the guesthouse to a friend.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SwedenLena
glendair, Owner at Glenderran Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2007

In response to this reviewer, I have the following comments:

When her reservation was confirmed by e-mail on 6th Dec 2006 she, like all of our guests, was asked, once flights had been booked, to provide us with an approximate time of arrival for June 07. She was also advised that our latest time for check-in was 7 pm. She failed to respond to either request, despite a reminder 2 weeks prior to arrival. Consequently, we had no idea at what time to expect these guests on the day of arrival. The reason we ask for approximate arrival times is not because the staff want to go home ( we are the staff ! ), but because we need time to do the errands necessary to run our guesthouse. Consequently, we are not always here and by having an approximate arrival time for guests, we can then run our errands and be sure we are here when guests arrive. If we do not have arrival times, we are then commited to being in the house until they arrive, which could be late evening. This prevents us from doing our errands or indeed anything else. I’m sure our guests would not like to arrive and find us not in. By providing us with an approximate arrival time, we can do what we need to do and ensure we are here for guests’ arrival. We also need to make sure that guests do not arrive too late as Glenderran is run solely by my wife and me, 7 days a week for 11 months of the year and we require a full nights rest in order to offer the best service to our guests over such a long season. Late arrivals also disturb our other guests and we have a responsibility to them to ensure they have a good nights rest.

Because Glenderran is a private house, we ask all guests to make as little noise as possible if they are returning late at night. That way, all of our other guests can be assured of a restful night.

I accept that she tried to visit in the afternoon and found us not in. That is because she stated that she would visit us between 12 – 1pm to pay the bill and bring around a new guest. She did not show, so as we had no way of contacting her, at 2 pm we went out shopping. If she had contacted us to inform us she would be late, that would have been fine, but she didn’t. To find us out when she eventually did turn up was unfortunate, but not unusual for a Guesthouse. There are many differences between a hotel and a guesthouse and a very, very important factor to understand is that we are NOT a Hotel. This is our home and if we are not expecting guests ( or they fail to show ! ), then we have go out shopping, walking, visiting family, all the things that normal people do. We do not have numerous staff to cover, so are we expected to be in the house 24 hours a day? Because this is our home, we also like to know who is staying in our home
( wouldn’t you? ) and we always ask for names of guests. If guest names do change, that is not a problem, but would it not be considered good manners to inform us of any changes?

She then re-visited us during our busiest period the following morning – during breakfast. It is difficult for us just to stop everything during this very busy period – we have a responsibility to our other guests and were serving breakfasts at that time. However, we did tend to her needs, although we could not offer her the time we normally would because of this busy breakfast period.

In summary, this lady failed to inform us of arrival times, guest names, guest changes, changes in length of stay and failed to show up at a pre-arranged time. She also made the common mistake of assuming we were a hotel, offering hotel services and having hotel staffing levels. Guesthouses are far more intimate, where relationships with the proprietors are generally far more personal than in a hotel. If she had responded to our requests in our e-mail of Dec 2006 and been a little more courteous to our needs as Guesthouse proprietors, then her experience and that of the guests she booked into Glenderran, would have been far more rewarding. We ask guests to help us so that ultimately, we can help them by offering a better service. No more was asked of this lady than we ask of all of our guests. Thankfully, most respond without difficulty and have a wonderful stay, as our numerous other Trip Advisor reviews testify. Communication is a great thing and easy to achieve in these days of e-mails and cell phones, but sadly we received precious little in this particular instance. That said, it is never satisfactory for us when any of our guests have a less than comfortable experience.

Reviewed May 29, 2007

We stayed in Glenderran for the first time in April 2006. Because of the hospitality that we received from our hosts Maggie and Ray and the excellent location in the heart of the “Home of Golf”, we decided to go back in May this year with our wives. Our stay was again excellent!

During our visits to Scotland we’ve stayed in several guest houses and Glenderran certainly distinguishes itself by its fine service and great breakfast. We’ve seen several examples of guest houses in St. Andrews that can easily rent out their rooms without really investing in their accommodation. Maggie and Ray refurbished several rooms in the past year and are showing that the wellbeing of their guests is their major concern!

Brigit & Huub
Hanneke & Hans
"The Flying Dutchman"

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HansBeekenDonk
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Exceptional find in St. Andrews! Maggie and Ray are wonderful, knowledgeable hosts who run a top notch bed and breakfast. Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 2HappyTravels
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I went with some friends for a golf trip to St. Andrews , March 11-15th. We stayed at Glenderran B& B with Ray and Maggie and we have only good things to say about the whole stay. The room and bathroom were spacious, well appointed and sparkling clean. Our hosts were friendly, helpful, kind and unobtrusive. Breakfast every morning was freshly made, delicious and served hot. Also, the tables were set with silver, china and crystal. We loved it and plan on going back soon with more friends! We celebrated my husband's 60th birthday and Ray and Maggie very generously located and got a birthday cake for me and arranged a room for dinner at a local restaurant-they went above and beyond!

Reviewed March 10, 2007

We went to St Andrews for a golfing break, and could not have chosen a better place to stay than the Glenderran.
The owners Ray and Maggie welcomed us to their wonderful home, which is immaculate and has recently had all its rooms refurbished to a very high standard.
The service provided by Ray and Maggie was second to none and they were always happy to help and advise us with golf course bookings at St Andrews and other local courses, as well as providing information on other attractions nearby. The Glenderran is located within strolling distance of the 1st tee at the Old Course.
Breakfast was excellent. We were spoilt for choice - but you really should start the day with one of Maggies superb full Scottish breakfasts.
If you are intending to go to St Andrews for a holiday, then you can do no better than the Glenderran. We have already booked our next break and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple