Review Highlights

Round of a Lifetime

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
winstonskin
Seattle, Washington

All reviews golf course undulating greens average player blind shots signature hole high handicap golfing experience views are spectacular great track long par sun was shining practice area moment you arrive locker room great layout round of golf in excellent condition
Reviewed 1 week ago

Probably the most visually stunning golf course I have been on, and I have been on several world top 100 courses. The course itself was stunning as well as the views of the surrounding areas. Lunch after golf was really good with great views of the 9th, 18th, and the coast. The staff was excellent.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Ok i will let emotion not be part of this reviews. First the welcome and staff and range is fantastic and the starter was great and very knowledgeable and friendly. The course itself is a bit hit and miss, the holes beside the sea and with the view over the town are stunning you wont get better views than here but the rest inland holes are a bit bland and boring. The course i would avoid if your a higher handicap as off yellows its still a brute and it needs more tee boxes in my eyes for seniors and higher handicaps. im scratch so im ok but i still foundthe greens to be a joke where the pins were placed on the day i played. The pins make the course playable or not, if they have better pin placements the greens can be good but when they put pins on front and edges of greens because of the slopes good shots get punished plus the mounds that are artificial in the fairways are unfair mainly for higher handicaps again. the long walks between tees and the bland middle part of the course with long uphill walks are uninspiring but probably worth it for 6 -7 holes that have fantastic views and great holes. I just wish they can put more tee boxes for seniors and juniors and also the greens are fine and fun only if they put the pins in fair places when they put them on edges and so on like i said people dont want good shots punished and impossible to hit near a pin. the set up needs a lot more thought and the middle is very bland and long walks between tees and greens but the views and some holes are stunning just needs a bit more thought by someone who knows golf than just corporate suits who know nothing about design or golf running things.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ok, so, we did not play the Old Course, so I do not have that experience to compare to this, BUT, The Castle Course is absolutely fantastic! Great layout, pleasing to the eye, challenging (and yes, it was windy), and a heck of a lot of fun to play. Even better, it is just incredibly scenic. There are views of the North Sea or the town of St. Andrews from just about every hole.
I hired a caddy for the first time in my life and as a summer golfer with a 16-18 handicap I did so with great anxiety. But that too was great fun. Brian was my caddy and he was great conversation, worked hard, and did he ever have those greens read to a tee!
From the moment you drive up and meet the greeter outside the clubhouse, they have the system dialed in and running smoothly. We were treated so well, even though we are just a group of tourist / golfers.
Great experience from start to finish and we didn't feel too cheated not being able to get a time on the Old Course since we still walked around the course and the clubhouse, took a picture on the bridge, and felt like we still had the full St. Andrews experience. Now to find a way to get back there and play again!

Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

We knew ahead of time that this was a tough course so we decided on matchplay. It was a great decision as stroke play would have left me demoralized I’m sure. From the time we arrived until we were done our round, the staff were the most friendly we’ve encounter anywhere. They were helpful navigating the course and also keeping the pace of play. The facility is beautiful. The course, as mentioned, is so tough. It was more of an adventure than a round. We had the full range of weather ( wind , rain, then sunshine) The bunkers are deep, the rough is thick and the greens are super tough, but.. the fairways are generous and you can’t beat the views. The 17th hole is unforgettable. Truly stunning. I’d love to play this again the next time we’re at St Andrews. Thanks for the great day.

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful course will rolling fairways and challenging greens. Very friendly welcome and starter was very helpful, giving good guidance at the start of the round. Some blind tee shots. Worth a visit.

Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

My buddy's and I are in St. Andrews for 8 days and played most of the courses in St. Andrews. This is the most scenic course that I have ever played. Massive undulating greens, awesome vistas all over the course. Highly recommend stop for your epic Scotland golf trip.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Since Castle opened ten years ago I have played it four times in separate visits to St Andrews. Routing on cliffs overlooking the sea is excellent as well as challenging. When I first played it, they told me that several greens were to be softened. The Trust did so I was told. Sad to say they probably stopped doing so with several others. Until some other ones are adjusted, I doubt it will ever achieve the status the course as a whole deserves!
Despite my whining last week, the staff was always gracious and attentive to me before and after I finished. The entire staff, golf, clubhouse, and wait staff are very well trained and deserving of bravos.
No doubt I will return and buy the same three day pass to allow me to challenge the Jubilee and Castle courses again!

Reviewed August 24, 2018

I really recommend playing The Castle Course. Ii is a tough golf course and gives the golf a completely different playing experience than The Old Course or The New Course. I do recommend having caddie's. The caddie's are available upon request at least one day prior to play. Conditions were great and the vistas of St. Andrews and The St. Andrews Sound is amazing. A must play during a visit to St. Andrews!

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

This golf course will not be everyone’s cup of tea. We played in the afternoon when the sun lit up the green fairways and the gold of the rough. Couple this with spectacular views of the sea and the Town of St Andrews and it is a great visual experience. The golf course is very difficult even before you get to the greens which are collectively the most severe that I have ever played. The uphill holes into the wind are beasts. So if you approach the day on the basis that you need to post a good score then you will not have a good day. On the other hand if your goal is to enjoy the day whatever it brings then you will have a great time. The starter said they do not hold stroke play tournaments there because it is so difficult to play to your handicap. Stableford and match play events only.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

This trip to St. Andrews we added the Castle Course to our itinerary. This was a recommendation of a house guest, glad we booked it. Modern course, but integrity of a links course. The staff all helpful. Short drive south of town. You want to grab your camera throughout. And maybe your sand wedge! Definitely will book here next trip back.