“Great scones”

Ranked #2 of 10 Coffee & Tea in St. Andrews
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went in on the recommendation of the optician at Boots next door. The decor is a mix of memorabilia from the 40's 50's and 60's. The place is quite small a takaway counter downstairs, around eight tables upstairs. The bakery goods are excellent and the paninis and toasties that other people made me decided to come back. Service whilst polite is incredibly slow, and the staff were hanging around talking to each other rather than keeping an eye on the takaway customers and people going upstairs. The place is clean and there is enough room at the tables inspite of the small size. Will go back to try out the snacks.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

So, I went in to get a takeaway scone. The scones they have in the window; the really huge, delicious, tempting ones. Yeah, those ones. I got my £1.40 ready and waited in line. There were two people serving, and two people in front of me. One had ordered multiple paninis which were already toasting, and the other a few coffees. The woman behind the counter bantered with the both of them, as they were clearly regulars. She ignored me. Having made the coffees and spent some time wrapping up the paninis whilst i stood like a lemon, she then busied herself not paying any attention to me. I don't ask for much; maybe a 'be with you in a minute'... I suppose I wouldn't have minded if it was a big order that would have taken more than a second, and she probably hadn't noticed I was standing with my money ready. As it was, it grated that mine would have taken a few seconds but i stood feeling awkward for a good 7 minutes (which is a really long time to stand in a tiny room whilst everyone else in it is having a conversation...). Finally the chap, who had returned from upstair, came and asked what i wanted. I asked for the special scone, which was chocolate and strawberry. Turns out it was £2.50 not £1.40 like a raisin scone. Because a strawberry really increases the production cost....

Anyhow, I was offered butter, etc which i turned down. Having finally got out, i tucked in. The bad; the strawberries and chocolate chips had been rolled into the dough, so there was only one very thin layer of them in the middle of the scone. Disappointing; i really hoped it would be dispersed throughout and rich with flavour. The good; the scone itself was utterly delicious, incredibly soft and buttery and awesome. The chocolate and strawberry that was there complemented it wonderfully and simply made the massive scone even moister. TBH, I wouldn't have been peeved at all at paying £2.50 as it was so nice and big, if the regular scone hadn't been quite so much cheaper.

So to summaries; incredible scones, not enough flavouring, large sizes, actually good value (and the sultana ones are great value!) but crummy service. Will I be back? Yes, but I'll resent it as I enjoy my treat...

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stopped in here on Monday afternoon - went upstairs to the dining area, a chipwood painted wallpaper throwback to the 60s badly decorated with old kitchen accessories - cold and lifeless. Equally lifeless was the waitress who appeared at our table 15 minutes after seating and just stared at us - we assumed she wanted an order so placed one and after another 15 minutes my order appeared - a roll with 2 slices of rock hard dry bacon along with a luke warm coffee. Waitress seemed very confused when we requested tomato ketchup. We hurriedly left and I can honestly say I now know why chains like Starbucks have all but killed places like this - for one they know to present HOT food.

1  Thank JGT984
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The best thing at gorgeous is without doubt the salted caramel chocolate brownie!!!
My savoury fvourite is the lentil soup, which is their staple soup every day :).
They have a cute retro seating area upstairs which is well worth a sunday afternoon! Friendly staff and cozy! Definitely a great place in St Andrews!

2  Thank victoria_chloe
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Ducked in here for a quick bite while visiting St. Andrews.
Five of us were quickly seated and served promptly by helpful staff.

While the food we ordered, being mainly bagels and paninni's, hardly stressed huge kitchen, the food was served promptly and was of good quality.
My haggis, cranberry and cheese panini was really tasty!!

Would recommend.